2008-2009 Yankees Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by dwalsh, Oct 1, 2008.

1. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

As previously mentioned, Cashman has been re-signed. Personally, I love the move, but I know a lot of you don't.

Bits of information so far:
    • Joba will be a starter for ALL of 2009, no bullpen (Source)
    • The only starters with guaranteed spots in the rotation next season are Wang and Joba (Source)
    • The 40-Man Roster is a mess (Source)
    Expiring Contracts
    • Jason Giambi
    • Bobby Abreu
    • Damaso Marte ($6M option)
    • Andy Pettitte
    • Mike Mussina
    • Carl Pavano
    • Ivan Rodriguez
    • Sidney Ponson
    Discuss.

#1 dwalsh, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. dwalsh

And please, stop begging for CC Sabathia. He has thrown 253 innings SO FAR THIS YEAR. Add 241 onto that from last year (494 in last 2 season, will be over 500 IP with playoffs) ... do you really want a pitching for 6 years who has that much abuse on his arm, who is clearly out of shape, and will probably not hold up over the length of that deal?

3. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

let giambi, pettitte, pavano, pudge, ponson, and abreu go.
    pick up martes option. (i beleive he can regain last years form, and if not at least hes a lefty)
    sign moose to one year deal. (theres no reason to think he wont pitch similar to this past year, since he has adapted to his loss of velocity)
    sign one of Teixeira or C.C. Sabathia.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Good news on Joba.

Same with the rotation spots. Everyone has to earn it.

I'd like to pick up the option on Abreu. I had thought the contract was done. If there's an additional year option, take it.

Definitely pick up Marte's option.

Giambi, Ponson, and Pettitte are done. (I'd take Pettitte back, but I'm not sure it's a good move for the club.)

I'd happily take Moose back, but what I heard is that if he comes back for one, he wants to come back for 3. I don't know if 3 years is something I'd be willing to give him.

I think Glass Carla actually has an option for next season. I don't expect the Yankees to pick it up. If they do, I'll be ticked off.

Ivan Rodriguez might make a nice backup to Posada, but I really like Molina as the backup. If we can squeeze all three, I'd be willing to go with that.

I am agreed on Sabathia with you dwalsh. I was a big supporter of CC until he spent some time in Milwaukee. His arm is going to fall off.

I'm still down with the Tex Express though. Finally a real first baseman. I still doubt he comes to the Yankees though.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

(Undecided) on what to do with Jason Giambi at the moment.
    Re-sign Abreu.
    Re-sign Marte.
    Let Andy walk.
    Re-sign Mussina for 1 year.
    Let Pavano walk, far far away.
    Let Pudge walk.
    Let Ponson walk.

#5 macbk, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  6. dwalsh

you could very well be right, I was doing this from memory and thought i heard that Abreu had an option... i'll look into it.

EDIT: You were right, his $16M option was for last season. He's a FA

And i definitely agree about Marte. After his initial struggles (switching teams, leagues, tired arm, etc) he put up a very impressive September. 9 games, 6.2 IP, 4H, 1 ER, 0 HR, 3 BB, 7 SO, 1.35 ERA, and a 1.05 WHIP

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, unfortunately, that's the thing with Abreu. He's looking for a big deal for multiple years. Can't be sure he'll be worth the term.

As for Marte, I didn't even realize his numbers were that good late in the year. The most important thing is that he's a quality lefty in the pen. The value of that can never be overestimated.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Ten bucks says he pulls his hamstring.

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I was all for Joba migrating over to the rotation, but shouldn't we look towards the future in terms of closing? We have the best closer in baseball right now, and Joba can potentially be one of the best closers ever, and those are one in a million. Wouldn't we be better off trading for good pitchers and keeping Joba as our closer once Mariano is done?

10. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Not this again. STARTING PITCHING IS FAR MORE VALUABLE THAN RELIEF PITCHING! As a Sox fan, there is nothing I'd like to see more than Chamberlain stay in the bullpen.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

See Jose Veras, Damaso Marte, Brian Bruney.

Forget once-in-a-lifetime closers. Good closers are easier to come by than good starters. The best defense of why Joba should be a starter I can think of is how many opportunites he gets to affect the outcome of a game between the rotation and the bullpen. The best barometer for that is number of innings pitched. Here's a comparison of total innings pitched in 2008:

Joba: 100.1 (between rotation and the pen)
    Rasner: 113.1
    Mussina: 200.1
    Mo: 70.2

I'd much rather have a guy like Joba give me 150 innings next year. Mo was born to be a closer because he has a total mastery over one pitch. He can get 3-4 outs every other night. Joba has filthy stuff on multiple pitches. He can get 18-21 outs every fifth night.

The value of great starting pitching can never be overestimated.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The papers make the argument. It's not Joe Average's fault this argument continues. My brother is actually an intelligent baseball fan, and my cousin actually has MLB potential (as a pitcher no less), and I still argue this point with both of them.

13. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Not really. You do have to take into account the leverage of the innings, BUT...

This is 100% true, and that is why Chamberlain should be a starter.

14. WWWestonC

WWWestonC New Member

Sorry I just couldn't resist. The title of this thread is 2008-2009 Yankees Off-Season, so I figured I'd compare what the Yankees will be doing this October in contrast to what the Red Sox will be doing...

[Photos removed by Sundayjerk. Sorry.]

15. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Posada's catching days are behind him and with his contract there is only place for him to play - 1B.
    No Texiera due to that.
    Matsui will be the FT DH and Damon will be in LF.
    So they will need a C.
    Starting pitching is where they need to go in Free Agency or trade.
    Hughes and Kennedy for Lincecum??????

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well, I said "best" barometer to illustrate that the point is multifaceted. Obviously, a guy can give you 100 innings, and 80 of them you've got your eyes closed the entire time (see: Darrell Rasner.)

That's why I posted the number of innings of various guys who made an impact on the team, positive or negative. Rasner pitched more innings than Joba this year. I think it's safe to say that Joba pitched better. Moose pitched more than anyone else in the rotation this year, save Pettitte who had only 4 additional innings. With his 20 wins, he had a bigger impact than any other pitcher, whether starter or reliever. (Again, you can't judge solely by the W/L column, but it's safe to say the only guy more consistent than Moose was Rivera.) Rivera gave the Yankees less innings than all of the above. Is he great? Of course. Would he be a better starter than closer? Not at all. Does the same apply to Joba? Not even close.

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Posada will be behind the plate again next year. I'm sure of it.

Tex may not be here, but not for the reason you gave.

I really wish they'd get rid of Matsui. His body is shot.

If Damon is in left, that means Gardner is the full time CF, and Nady in right. Our lineup will be vastly different, and not in a positive way.

I agree we should look at starting pitching in the offseason, but I'm still thinking Burnett. There's not a snowball's chance in hell Hughes gets traded now that Cashman is extended, and that's a good thing. I doubt Kennedy has any value left at all at this point.

EDIT:

Damon LF
    Jeter SS
    ARod 3B
    Matsui DH
    Nady RF
    Posada C
    Cano 2B
    ??? 1B
    Gardner CF

Ugh. I don't like that lineup at all.

#17 AlioTheFool, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  18. dwalsh

Two words: Mark Melancon

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

This is maybe the best opening post to a thread I've ever seen. The Jets Forum should have threads so well opened.

20. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

you dont want CC cause you think he will be injury prone, but instead you want Burnett? I guarantee that if the yankees sign him he gets hurt within the first month of the season.