Erik Boland Tuesday AM TC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by flgreen, Jul 29, 2008.

1. flgreen

flgreen New Member

Day 6: Morning Practice

Since many of you asked about, and opined, about this ? along with my choice of vocabulary ? coach Eric Mangini opened his press conference this morning by explaining his thinking of giving players yesterday off.

?In researching the patterns of training camp and researching the trends over the years, what we?ve seen is there?s a dramatic spike of injuries early on in camp and that makes a lot of sense because guys will go from the offseason program to a break and then they come back and they jump right back in to very heavy, high intensity exercise and all the contact,? Mangini said. ?So you go right from the break, to the conditioning run to a one-a-day, two-a-day and between fatigue and all the elements that go into it, you have a lot of injuries early in camp. We looked at the different things related to recovery and we planned the day out accordingly.?

Also, Mangini disclosed that backup punter Joe Smith had been waived and Danny Woodhead, who injured his knee last week, had cleared waivers so he has been placed on the Jets injured reserved list. Additionally, the Jets signed WR Rudy Burgess and LB Jerry Mackey, a Syracuse and before that, Freeport High School, graduate.

And for those of you who recalled ? and hopefully only a very few of you know this ? Smith, that backup punter, was wearing No. 4 during camp. Yes, some witling in the press ? it might have been me but I?ll have to check the transcript to be sure ? asked Mangini if the roster move had been made to free up Favre?s number.

Um, no.

As for this morning?s 1 hour 50 minute practice, it was a lot of special teams and specialty situation work so there isn?t as much detail to share in the way of in-depth 11-on-11s or even 7-on-7s. But there were a few things from the morning, a lot of which was spent in goal line situations:

*Sixth-round pick Marcus Henry made the best catch he?s made all camp, catching a bullet thrown from the 10 by Kellen Clemens in the back of the end zone with Drew Coleman hanging on him. Henry went high in the air and got his feet in bounds, despite Coleman drawing a flag for interference. Maybe the best catch of the morning. Coleman earned a lap for the penalty.

* Laveranues Coles made great grab in the end zone on a 15-yarder thrown by Pennington during an early goal line shell drill, but it was negated because he had been forced out of the back of the end zone first by Justin Miller, making the catch an illegal touch. Still, good hands by Coles, who during a later 11-on-11 caught a short dump off over the middle for a touchdown by Pennington.

* Again, not a ton to report in terms of throwing the ball because they were working a lot on screens and runs rather than downfield throws. Besides Clemens? throw to Henry, he also connected with Brad Smith from the 10 on a nice slant play that resulted in 6. A lot of carries from Thomas Jones and Leon Washington and they both saw their share of screens as well.

* Kris Jenkins made a highlight play on the goal line, shedding two blockers at the 2-yard line and just stuffing T. Jones cold on an off-tackle. Jenkins clearly ? CLEARLY ?is an upgrade over who was in the middle last season and you can see the effects on Ellis and Coleman. I might have neglected to mention it in Sunday?s report because of the focus on Gholston, but after the team moved indoors to the bubble, Ellis had a couple of plays in which he was in the backfield bothering the quarterback.

* Dwight Lowery had outstanding coverage on Brad Smith on a goal line fade thrown by Clemens into the right corner. A series later Darrelle Revis deflected a Pennington pass intended for Bubba Franks in the back of the end zone. I?m already on record as predicting Revis as Pro Bowler this season and have seen nothing this camp dissuade me from that opinion.

* And this was nice to see: a group of 20 kids, ages 8-13, from the St. Joseph?s School for the Deaf in the Bronx attended this morning?s practice. David Harris and David Bowens posed for a group picture and then they, along with several other players, stayed and signed autographs.

Next up: the 5:45 practice.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/

2. VeniVidiViridis

VeniVidiViridis New Member

Nice, good to hear Lowery is stepping up!! And Jenkins is a beast, can't wait to see him this season.

3. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

thanks.............

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

All bow to Jenkins....

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I was actually htinking of Lowery this morning on my way into work. He can be a big surprise for us this year.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see this defense in action. Jenkins sounds like an absolute animal!

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jenkins may be the cog that makes this defense elite. Let's hope he holds up.

8. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

“In researching the patterns of training camp and researching the trends over the years, what we’ve seen is there’s a dramatic spike of injuries early on in camp and that makes a lot of sense because guys will go from the offseason program to a break and then they come back and they jump right back in to very heavy, high intensity exercise and all the contact,”

This actually makes some sense doesnt it? I'm sure someone will still believe it has somefavre to do with Brett Favre. You Brett the Favre Because any time the Favre is Bretted someone is going to Favre the Favre right?? Brett brett brett favre the brettster farvroid isn't the same as Bretter the favresmar.

9. unklB

unklB New Member

Great to hear that Woodhead is still with the Jets!

10. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Thanks for posting these reports, flgreen.

Pffft!

An experienced TC watcher ;-) would have discussed how the STs practice was different with the new ST coach, and might have addressed the huge shoes he needs to fill of one Mr. Westhoff.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I can see where you're coming from, but why would anyone Favre that Favre is on the Jets' minds all the Favre? This is training Favre, for Favre's sake, and the Jets are just concentrating on getting better as a Favre.

#11 ukjetsfan, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  12. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Although most, understandably, jumped off the "Mangenious" bandwagon last season, I still think he is a really smart dude.

To analyze injury patterns during camp, not only on your own team but across the NFL is pretty damn smart. Recognizing a spike early on in camp, he altered the practice schedule to avoid injury.

Also, Boland's quote left out what I think is an important bit of information. Although practice was cancelled, it was not a "day off". Mangini explained what they did instead of practicing and it included a variety of treatments designed to help alleviate soreness and future injury (as well as a lot of mental review of the finer points of the installations, etc. thus far, of course).

I'm not knocking Boland, I like his reports a lot. If you have 20 minutes or so to watch it, the video of Mangini's press conference today is worth watching.

13. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I dont have any issue with giving the team yesterday off as a recovery day.

I do think it would have been interesting to know if the new ST coach is using the same terminology for ST plays (Westhoff would call it out loudly and everyone knew the names of the plays/formations they used each play)
    or if he has installed new stuff.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The problem lies in the fact that he may not know if anything is new. I think we have a few posters around here who would do a hell of alot better job as camp reporters then our beat guys.

15. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Good question. Most of the reporter's blogs have discussion forums below each entry, which presumably they read. I suspect that if we requested that question be asked, one of them might pose it during a future press conference. (not sure if Mangini would answer it, but...)

And I think Harpua may be right. At this time last year Boland's position was manned by Tom Rock, so Boland might not know/notice the difference.

Jetcane, do you plan on filing any reports on TGG this year? Last year they were great to read...so much more informative than Cimini and the rest of the usual suspects!

16. flgreen

flgreen New Member

Where's you reports this year? They were some of the best on the internet.

17. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Speaking of, does anyone know what happened to Thunderbirdjet? His training camp reports were very good as well...

18. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Cheers for the update, a lot of good things coming out there:

Jenkins for one sounds like all he was hyped to be
    Miller and Lowry making a play for that 2nd CB spot
    Pennington and Coles linking up well it seems

19. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I was thinking this too. Come in mister Moss and 227, where are you?

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

dang. now that mangini has already given his boys a day off, brett will never come to our camp.