Philip Rivers Has A Strong Arm, Right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Jan 15, 2007.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How did he do against the Pats WITH LT and w/ homefield? Arm strength is completely overrated, Chad played MUCH better against NE w/ no running game and a struggling defense.

Can we put the arm strength issue to rest please? Chad is a top flight QB when healthy and he can take us to the SB w/ the right supporting cast.

2. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Personally, I believe that Chad is a premier QB in this league. He is smart and he is tough. I love him. But if he had more arm strength, he would be up there with Peyton Brees and Brady. Arm strength is just one factor in the ability of a QB, but it is an important one.

3. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Rivers has a stronger arm then Chad, as pretty much every QB does but I don't think he would be classified as having a "strong arm". Coming out of college there were questions about his arm strength and throwing motion.

Regardless, Rivers played pretty well yesterday, the INT was not his fault and Colvin made a great play. Not to mention that Jackson cost the Chargers a TD in the 3rd quarter by sloppily stepping out of the EZ on a perfectly thrown pass from Rivers.

4. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

I agree that arm-strength is overrated, but it was Philip Rivers' first play-off game. I love Chad and I want him to be our QB next year, because with a better supporting cast HE can be better, but there are physical limitations to Chad's play, and I can't see him being the Jets QB past next year.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

if you watched the game then you know the real reason the chargers lost. using this as a pro-pennington rally starter is a bit absurd.

6. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Chad is one year out of his second surgery. Lets see how his arm strength is this coming year. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE left him for dead before this year. Now lets see what a non-rehab off-season and training camp does for a healthy Chad.

I wouldnt be surprised if he is throwing harder next season. Would you?

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

If I was CP I would be in the gym every day doing strenght execises for his arm so he can throw the ball on line instead of that lollipop pass he threw in the NE PO game to the sidelines that was INT & run back for a TD

8. championjets69

Yes it is spelled S H O T T Y

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Rivers played pretty well but Chad was awful?:lol: You are so biased it's ridiculius. Chad played MUCH better than Rivers, Chad played well while Rivers played poor. That last drive was hideous, he has no TOs(thanks to a Marty asinine challenge) and after that 1st completion he's realigning his offense at the line- he wasted 20 secs on that then another 15 w/ a 3 yd completion.

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Wow Junc, where the heck are you going with this.

Lets just start the debate like this. Name 5 starting qb's with a weaker arm then Pennington, that lead their teams to the superbowl..in the entire history of the NFL.

Now, Im not saying Chad cant lead the Jets to a superbowl. Put the 85 Bears defense on our roster and have a great running back and it could be done. Comparing Rivers arm to Pennington flushes the debate down the toilet right off the bat.

EDIT: FORGET THE 5 QBS..NAME 1.

#10 jaywayne12, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  11. Coach K

Coach K New Member

no we cant, your now as hellbent on fighting your case as the chad critics. chad has a weak arm and it limits the offense, hes still a good qb but nothing will change that.

not the failure of a strong armed qb, not the success of an accurate qb. CP is still CP.

12. championjets69

Exactly you pinned the tail right smack on the donkey!

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Getting the guys into proper position didn't waste 20 seconds by itself but it probably wasn't the best move. The next play is on Gates as he could've made it to the sidelines but for some reason he tried to turn it upfield.

How was Rivers "poor" exactly? He threw incomplete passes? He lead the team to 3 TDs(should've been 4) and didn't cost them any points.

14. championjets69

Yes & on another play Gates would have gotten at least 10 more yds but instead decided to motor right out of bounds. Really strange actions

15. 1_Nugent_1

1_Nugent_1 New Member

Phillip Rivers played much better then Noodle Arm Pennington did last week. 77 yards of Chad's were on a 20 yard pass that Cotchery took the rest of the field and another 60-80 came when the game was over.

Yardage aside, Eric Parker, Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates combined dropped AT LEAST 5 passes, probably more in the 6 or 7 range. It was not Rivers yesterday, it was his receivers. Even Gates dropped a pass and that does not happen often. The goat of that game yesterday was #88, Eric Parker. Three or four dropped balls, two of which would've been 1st downs, and he also muffed a punt and instead of falling on the ball he stupidly tried to pick up the ball.

16. Vegi5894

Vegi5894 New Member

Its true, while i think Chad is a very good QB, and has overcome many setbacks in his career, he DOES have arm strength issues, his arm is not strong which is one of the reason's that we couldnt utilize Santana Moss the year before we let him go to the Redskins (being a very fast downfield option).

Can Chad make up for his lack of arm strength in other ways? yes, he is a very efficient, very smart, and very accurate, BUT at some point Chad's lack of arm strength is going to be a problem, and WILL limit the offense.

17. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I have said this to many times, if Chad can step up into his throws, meaning he has a solid o-line, he has plenty of zip on the ball. The throws he cannot make are when he is scrambling and needs to fit a tight one in on a rope. I do realize that a good o-line makes any QB better, but Chad needs it even more so. Get a RG in here and draft a solid RT, along with a run game will keep Chad standing tall in the pocket.

18. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

That pass from Chad was great, you cannot just say Cotchery ran for all the yards, Chad read the defense PERFECTLY and knew exactly where to go with the ball. He hit the soft spot and all Cotchery did was run, those are Chad's yards just as much as Cotches, its a team game.

60-80 came at the end, this is the case with sooo many games, yards are yards, Chad played well in NE, give the man some credit. I thought Rivers played well yesterday also, Peyton will pick um apart nexxt week, he is due.

19. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

GOOD POSTING...

Every Matchup and Game is different this comparison is ridiculous.

20. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

HEY... look at how bad Mannings stats were this past game.... That means Chad is GREAT....

What kind of logic is this?