Special Teams: They were fun while it lasted...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

upload_2019-3-14_8-48-35.png

Oh well. We sucked for years but at least for 1 season, we had the best ST unit in the NFL. Such is life in JetLand..

matt robinson 17 and CBG like this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

We still have the coach that took in these two castoffs and helped them to their best seasons. As much as people bitch about the Bellamy signing, he played under our ST coach in Chicago and I'm guessing thats more than a simple coincidence.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They can't spend the money on ST. These guys earned better contracts and got them from other teams.

It's up to our coach to get the most out of what he is provided now.

KurtTheJetsFan, FJF and onefanjet like this.
  4. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I wonder what they are paying Roberts.... gotta say he was exciting to watch.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am completely on board with letting 31 year old Andre Roberts go. He is coming off a terrific year and paying him like he will do that every year would be a mistake.

The one that leaves me a bit concerned is Jason Meyers. We probably shouldn't have let him go. He also had a breakout year, but even if he regressed some this season, he still would have been a solid/good kicker. Hopefully they already have their eyes set on another kicking prospect.

FJF likes this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Farewell, Shortshanks. So we will be going on our 4th kicker in as many years. Anyone know what Seattle gave him?

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Myers, whom Seattle cut last year, Got 7 mill guaranteed. As good as he was I had not problems giving him big money if the guarantees were low. Kickers now days are replaceable parts for NFL clubs and handing him that after one very good year is not ideal.

9. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Breathe dude...they were no where near the caliber they were last year. Cs will do just as good of job with the replacement

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Also, I'm not saying Boyer is Westhoff, but we always had this same feeling when we let go of kick returners in years past, and it never mattered. Lets see how this plays out.

FJF likes this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

A 31 year old career journeyman who's now on his 6th team. If he can't be replaced as a Kick Returner well then there is a problem. Special teams is a team game and one journeyman is nothing to cry about. Not like we lost a LeVeon Bell or anything....

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We retained the most important part of our special teams unit. The coach. I can’t get up in arms about a 31-year-old journey man, who was below average until our coach got his hands on him, signing with another team.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

His 6th team, at that... 6th.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. He was a very pleasant surprise last year, but it was a career year for him, and based on his other seasons, a total aberration. There will be good returners in this draft whom the Jets can add. I'd love to see them add Mercole Hardman of GA. He has 4:33 speed in the 40 and is elusive.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Wow 7 mill for Myers. I hate losing him and Robert's but it is good sense to not overpay for 1 good year for a special teams player. Let's see how good Boyer really is.

What I liked about what we did last year is Mac helped Boyer out with using the bottom of the roster for special teams players. Cannon and Peake were really good last year. This year we are already investing in Bellamy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Those missed kicks at the end of the season might have been the signs that the magic fairy dust was wearing off for Meyers.

Chappy13 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Roberts has never been as good as he was for us on any other team, that’s a sign it was coaching by Boyer (Excellent scheming)

Meyers is one of the worst PAT kickers in the league and it showed towards the end of the year. His 2018 campaign is the textbook definition of outlier if I’ve ever seen one. I wouldn’t be surprised if we bring Gostkowski in.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I was concerned when we lost Folk, but Catanzaro stepped up nicely, while Folk fell apart.
    Then was concerned again when we didn't re-sign Catanzaro, but Myers turned out to be gold on a big discount while Catanzaro fell apart.

So I will say Mac has done very well with Kickers.
    However, I'm still concerned anyway, as I never want to lose a game over a missed PAT or chip shot FG.
    I'm a believer in investing some resources into ST's.

chandler likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not me. Just waiting for the drop off that's sure to come this season on ST's. It will be like old times again.. Bad field position, short KO's, the usual stuff Good thing we got Kal-EL on the roster now. Should make up for all of that.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I was in your same shoes, but remember, Crowder is a punt returner

FJF likes this.