our chances of trading back for picks have plummeted

Discussion in 'Draft' started by chandler, Mar 13, 2019.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The trading down scenario has always had to do with teams wanting QBs not pass rushers so nothing has changed.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

A team that wants a QB has to also consider any other team that may want the QB trading ahead of them, not simply whether the teams ahead of them need a QB.

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I should have been clearer. The point I was trying to make is that both Arizona and SF have set themselves up (even superficially) to be more amenable to trade out.

Top of the draft quality-wise is DL and Edge and they have both mitigated (again maybe superficially) that need

So any team wanting a QB is now more likely to knock on their doors than ours

Personally I'm conflicted. We have so many needs I want more picks. On the other hand you only get so many opportunities to get a real impact player on a rookie deal AND on top of that Mac sucks at drafting when not at top of the draft

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

He's quick and athletic but not sure if he's built for war within the trenches against grown lineman. I feel Bosa is physical at the point of the attack with amazing ability to rush the QB. He's my pick.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I don’t see Bosa as an edge burner tho, and that’s what we need. Speed off the edge to force QB up in the pocket.
    Allen has that in spades and can be moved around as a LB.
    I see Bosa as maybe a better 4-3 DE.

Both solid prospects but I feel Allen would be the better fit here.

ColoradoContrails, jilozzo and FJF like this.
  6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I'm an Allen fan. That doesn't mean Bosa is worse/bad. My preference is just Allen.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just depends how far the Jets have to trade down. I like the idea of more picks, but I also like getting a difference maker like Bosa, Allen or Williams.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I thought the Murray deal to AZ was a complete smoke screen until the signed Hundley and cut Glennon as the backup. Hundley is a perfect backup to Murray. Glennon a perfect backup to Rosen. I think it's a huge tell.

9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and not only that but the offensive line in this particular draft, especially tackle and center could really benefit from a later 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick as opposed to over-drafting at only the 3rd overall pick.

And the offensive line, imho, is what we really ought to be laser focused on improving in whatever way physically possible. It would be such a shame if everything we're building got plowed to pieces because our OL can't protect and/or push forward.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah we now surrounded Sam with weapons as best we could. Now the focus should be about blocking for them!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. We have the cap space and we have the need. The one thing you don't do going into a draft is having a gaping hole at a position and having to take a player at that position. That kills any flexibility and every other team knows waht you're gonna do.

We should definitely sign Houston for whatever it costs and then sign a 2nd edge rusher who is younger and cheaper.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i like burns better than both of them ... he has the speed and flexibility to bend the edge and several counter moves

13. NCJetsfan

Why? The drop off from Bosa/Allen to Brian Burns isn't that steep, and the point can be made that Burns is a better fit for a 3-4 than Bosa. By trading back and taking Burns, the Jets still get a dynamic, very, very good edge rushing prospect, and also would get multiple picks with which they could potentially add a #1 WR prospect, an OT, and/or a very good CB prospect. Those things could help the team a lot more than just adding Bosa or Allen. No GM should "fall in love" with a player, but particularly not the GM of a team like the Jets where there are still a ton of holes and the roster needs more talent and speed.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Dude is tall and weights less then darron lee how he gonna bullrush if he cant speed rush ?

15. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Unless a team doesn't like Haskins and really covets Murray, it would cost a LOT more to trade up to #1 or #2 vs. #3, so why trade up that high if you don't have to? If several teams are seeking to trade up, then that's another matter, but I don't think the Dolphins have the ammo to trade up, and I'm not sure that anyone other than the Giants and Broncos do.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

he has a stutter step to the inside and a spin move to compliment his speed rush

he weighed 249 at the combine and has a frame that can carry more. he's 20, im not too concerned about his weight

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 3 pick is going to have QB written all over it for the teams looking for a QB.

You have to figure that Bosa, Williams and Murray (outside chance) are the guys most likely to go 1-2. Now if you're looking for a QB you have to figure that any of Oakland, Tampa Bay and the Giants might have a real interest in the 1st or 2nd QB available this year. Gruden will want his QB, Winston is wearing out his welcome in TB and the Giants have a major conundrum at the position.

I think the Jets could potentially wind up with a windfall from somebody looking to trade up in front of the 4-6 picks. I think the Giants might want to trade up to secure their guy if the first two picks are on the DL. The only way the OBJ trade makes sense is if the Giants were accumulating picks to try to get their QB.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what the the Giants are doing...especially after trading precious OBJ. They are loading picks to move up..I think somehow getting Josh Rosen from Ariz might also be part of their plan as well

Last year, They miscalculated big time on continuing with Eli and just adding Barkley

Too funny if they offer Jets the Farm now ..ahahahahah

You might even say Denver or Washington is also in the mix looking to trade up as well since Flacco and Keemun appear to be bridge QBs

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

We need to hope they are in the mix, that is how the price will get drive up and up and up.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If AZ is really going to select Murray, Rosen to the Giants makes too much sense.... and to be honest, they wont look very dumb in the end (aside from the handling of the ODB contract)