Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you were guaranteed to get such a player, fine, but the draft is always a crapshoot - especially with the Jets. Besides, if you have Bell, then you can use that premium (3rd - 4th) to fill another hole. You're approach would be my fall back if they didn't sign Bell.

JetsNation06 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. At the least sign two starters in free agency and add one through the draft. Morse or Paradis for the center position and Trent Brown as a tackle or someone else. Then draft a lineman with the first pick or trade back and select one with the first pick or second round pick we add. Definitely need to add people. We can't afford to have Darnold be like Luck.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well we can cross him off the list, as expected.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's the problem with all these wishful thinking posts, calling for this signing or that: based upon his track record and stated or implied philosophy, does anyone really believe that Macc will go all in and acquire the studs we need? I sure don't. And it will be justified by saying "The price wasn't right", or "They didn't want to come here", or we just won't hear any rationale. A team - and its GM - are judged by the results, and so far, Macc's results are less than acceptable even factoring in Adams and Darnold. I'll be shocked if Macc significantly upgrades the talent.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Anyone have him on the top of their wish list?

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Probably Mac.

KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  7. This better not be more of this Idzik/Sandy Alderson crap w Mac of signing former high picks who cant stay healthy to fill pivotal roles.Both FA & the draft

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Probably depth/competition signing.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  9. 100%.

But these are also the kind of bean counter esque moves he makes both in UFA as well as the draft.

Buy guys w diminished value due to injury w hopes to reconcile w better medical treatment through team.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Well, hopefully now that we have a young QB, he prioritizes the OL in free agency and the draft. The interior needs a makeover for sure.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. Yes it has to be a priority. The interior can get a nice makeover in FA w.o breaking the bank.Sam needs a clean windshield..they MUST fixate on guys w heavy hands,quick feet & good anchor in pass pro to counter DL initial surges.

Im kind of lukewarm on the OT in FA or 1st round front.Unless Little or Cajuste make huge leaps up draft boards OR they trade down to take Jonah/Brown w the idea of playing them at either guard or Right tackle, im just not enamored w them protecting Sam’s blindside esp early.Id rather stick w Beachum/Shell another yr & take somebody on day 3 where there are some decent developmental types.

The 2020 class projects to have quite a few blue chip OTs.And the tape ive seen on them has been pretty impressive

NYJetsO12 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

Who are these blue chippers? I want to see the film on these guys.

13. Trey Smith Vols
    Andrew Thomas Uga
    Walker Little Stamford
    Meiki Becton Louisville
    Jake Currhan Cal (A personal fav)

#333 KurtTheJetsFan, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2019
    NYJetsO12, CotcheryFan and jilozzo like this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I don’t think Mac has a choice now. He just cut Long and Carpenter isn’t coming back. That’s two holes right there......

I think between FA and the draft the Jets could have 3 new starting OL....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I would like the Jets to go after some offensive lineman in the draft and free agency. Here are some offensive lineman for possible consideration in free agency.

Matt Paradis, Daryl Williams, Mike Iupati, Trent Brown, Andy Levitre, Donovan Smith, Jared Veldheer, Mitch Morse, Seantrel Henderson, Rodger Saffold

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So Patriots fan about your team, will Trent Brown be resigning with the Patriots? Or will they let him hit the market?

FJF likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

Thanks. I've looked them up and they do look like great prospects who were top recruits out of HS. I've come around to going Edge in round 1 this year as that's where the talent is and the defense desperately needs one.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Remember when Tannenbaum would make trades for players like Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Antonio Cromartie? We don't see Mac do that as much. I guess he technically traded for players like Ryan Fitzpatrick or Henry Anderson, but not quite the impact of those others. Hopefully he made the best trade of all, by trading up for Sam. The Jets could make a splash with a trade instead of big free agent signings. Never know.

19. Different approaches & personalities for sure.Tanny had little regard for the draft other than adding top talent & otherwise depended on FA/Trades to build his team. The lack of regard for the draft & sustainability bit him in the ass.But he was brilliant at putting together trade packages & likely a damn good negotiator to get the wheels in motion for deals.

Mac is much more methodical & measured. He takes a long term responsible view.He tries to find good value in both FA & draft.He continues to try to build through the draft.However up to this point hes not very dynamic & his evaluating skills which are supposed optimize his approach have been ordinary. He needs to drastically upgrade the talent on this team & has the ammo to do it.Does ge have the chops? All i know is Tanny would make huge strides w this hand headed into March.

Excited to see the strides they make into next season.All can get better & some will be transitioning from RT to LT.

Interesting all but Walker Little look like guys who could be good RTs at the next level too.RT is moving toward being just as important as LT due to short supply & more dual edge rushers.Usually looking for alittle more size & anchor to counter bigger strong side Front 7 players.

Trey smith has massive upside but he is real raw as a pass blocker.Violent hands,good flexibility,sinks his hips & protypical size.His fundamentals are a mess & the Vols rarely let him out in protection sets for too long. Hes also dealing w a chronic blood clot issue. If he comes back & makes strides in pass pro he could be a top 3 pick.

The Dark Knight and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, based on precedent, Mac will shop in the bargain basement, then make one splashy signing, ala Trumaine Johnson, just to win the back-pages for a few days and sell a few tickets. Overall, the cap space couldn't be in worse hands.

#340 Will-I-Am-Not, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.