Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s what a smart team does.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Smart teams break the bank on free agent Running backs who have already touched the ball 1500 times? ;)

Jets69 likes this.
  3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets should be in on Earl Thomas too.

Pairing him with Adams could be special. His experience, leadership, ability would help the Jets tremendously.

I'm not high on Maye I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to bring in Thomas because of him.

4. FJF

context, he's averaged 16 touches a game in his pro career.
    smart teams fill as many holes as possible in free agency and take the best talent in the draft regardless of position.
    smart teams put the best weapons possible around their developing qb
    smart teams pay for impact players.

ColoradoContrails and NYJFOREVER like this.
  5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll get all or with the money it's plausible but knowing what we need and what is out there I think this is a good start.
    Oline
    1. C: Morse or Paradise.
    2. LT Trent Brown
    3. Draft in round one or 2 if we get another second.

Thinking we need to sign two olinemen. Figured a center and Brown would be a good start. Brown is 25 and played well for the Patriots (fear he is a product of the Pats and Brady and might not be as good. I like he is young and feel he could help).

By doing this it allows us to slide Long to guard and Beachum can be our swing tackle and insurance if Shell is still recovering. The third piece to the o-line would be drafting one (maybe with the first pick) and hopefully that will fix our oline.

Dline
    3. Grady Jarret
    4. Dante Fowler, Trey Flowers, Frank Clark, last Shane Rey.
    5. Signing cheaper players here too to help with the 4-3 transition.

With us going to a 4-3 Jarret would be a nice addition and paring him with Leonard Williams will be a nice one two punch on the d-line. The other 4 could be our edge rusher that we so desparately need. The first three I'd be happy with in no particular order. Rey if we can't get the other three.

RB
    6. Tevin Coleman or Mark Ingram:

As much as I want Bell there are too many concerns for me older, team chemistry age to name a few and financially I don't think it'd be great for us. Coleman and Ingram are an upgrade over Crowell for me and they would compliment McGuire and Cannon and hopefully with one of our third round picks we can get a productive running back who can contribute.

WR

7. Tyrell Williams or Adam Humphries

Figure we need depth at WR. Both are nice players who could help. I think Humphries fits us better knowing what Gase did with Albert Wilson last year. Have to figure we'd draft a receiver as well.

CB

8. Brien Boddy-Calhoun
    9. Pierre Desir

With Skrine and Claiborn free agents we need a few to replace them. I figure we move on from them. Desir played well for the Colts last year. Think he'd be a good two for us. Can't say I know much about Boddy-Clahoun but read somewhere he played well as a nickle for Williams so just connecting the dots there.

Looking at the cb free agents I can't say I know who to sign but those two stood out for me. It'll probably be other guys we sign but we'll have to sign at least two or three.

As I said I'm not going to say I know every free agent and maybe another one would be a better fit for us but looking at some of these guys and knowing what we are trying to do and needs I think these players would be a help to us and allow us to draft best available in the draft. It's funny how at times I look at this team and fee they can compete then i look at the roster and the
    ir needs and realize this team is far from being a top team. Sad.

M00ndawg and almbleamal like this.
  6. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I don't understand the desire to land a WR in free agency this year.

Quincy and Robby haven't yet peaked, Herndon looks like a superstar in the making, and I know the guy gave up on plays this year and had a bad season but as a player to battle in camp to be our #3 WR just bring back Kearse who we know "can" ball and after this season should be dirt cheap.

I just don't get signing some mediocre guy like Humphries who is going to cost 2x as much as a mediocre guy like Kearse. I'd rather take those savings and instead of saying getting a B player get an A player at another position.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with savings and wanting to get plan a guys. Unfortanely unless we trade for someone their isn't an A guy in free agency at WR. Honestly can you say you were happy with our wr core this year?
    Enuwa. Part of the plan. The last two seasons he hasn't stayed healthy. Can't rely on him to be the 1b or two. Need someone else.
    Anderson: Again a piece. Still not a number one. Seemed to play better down the stretch. Still needs to add a few more routes to be complete. Not reliable and has had off the field issues that could mean if it happens again he gets a suspension.
    Kearse: Love the way he played two years ago and with the Seahawks. Who knows if he lost a step or Bates couldn't game plan him in. Maybe a little of both. That being said it'd be best for everyone to move on.
    Herndon great piece. Will be suspended for a game or two for the DUI last year. Promising young tight end but key word tight end. We need at least one or two more wr options. At this point it's Anderson, Enuwa, Burnett, Roberts and Peake. That's unacceptable. They need options. Williams I like because of his size. Humphries great slot receiver. I'd like him. We're not signing both and I don't think we have enough for Antonio Brown. Defintely need to sign one receiver and draft another with our top three picks. That scare me because where are Adarius Stewart and Chad Hansen. I'm assuming catching passed from Hackenberg in the AAFL or Manziel in Canada.

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

While I agree with some of what you're saying, and some that I don't, I think what I should have said was "I don't understand the desire to get a higher profile WR in free agency". I don't mind to bring in more bodies off the trash heap or draft someone in the mid to later rounds, I just don't want the team to over pay for mediocre talent in a free agency void of good WR talent with 30+ year old Tate being the only exception.

If we're talking non- free agents though, I would much rather see the rumor of a Mike Evans trade materialize than a Bell deal be made.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with your quote. No need to spend crazy money on a wr in free agency. Like you said maybe a trade here or there for one. I don't think it'll happen so Williams or Humphries will be nice depth signings at the right price.

10. PennyandtheJets

It is a very clear difference of opinion. I think we can leave it at that.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not sure what type of "funny" he thinks Adams is. Hopefully the kind that makes him want to sign a contract to be his teammate.

12. PennyandtheJets

I think I would be ok with a 2-3 year deal.

13. FJF

Get it done Jamal

Mr mittens likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Rumors have started the the Steelers might be dicks once more and transition tag LB. In which case the price will move up and odds of us going after him are moving from mildly likely to no way.

#314 LAJet, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

1. I don't think the Steelers will do that. It would be a blatant "fuck you" to Bell and I think at this point they'd rather just move on. Plus...

2. That would mean the Steelers have to pay Bell whatever we offered him. They've already made it clear what they are willing to pay him and he's going to be seeking more than that. Why would you have pissed away an entire year just to bring him back for a higher price than what you said no thanks to originally?

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good points, unless the Steelers are such assholes that they really want to send a strong fuck you message.

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The desire to add another WR comes from being one sprained ankle away from starting Deontay Burnett and Andre Roberts. There is no excuse to not add a guy like Humphries who is much better than Kearse or a guy like Crowder who offers great YAC ability.

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Cory Littleton is a RFA?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Steelers ARE assholes

Sam Hammer and LAJet like this.
  20. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

well according to another forum - here's the current OL roster

68 - Kelvin Beachum 6"3" 303 SMU (T)
    72 - Brandon Shell 6'5" 325 South Carolina (2018 Injured Reserve)
    67 - Brian Winters 6'4" 320 Kent State (G)
    79 - Brent Qvale 6'7 315 Nebraska (G/T) (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    78 - Jonotthan Harrison 6"4" 300 Florida (C/G) (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    70 - Dakota Dozier 6'4" 313 Furman (C/G/T) (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    69 - Benjamin Braden 6'6" 335 Michigan (G/T) (Exclusive Rights FA)
    65 - Eric Smith 6'4" 308 Virginia (T)
    71 - Ben Ijalana 6'4" 322 Villanova (T/G) (2018 Injured Reserve) (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    77 - James Carpenter 6'5 321 Alabama (G) (2018 Injured Reserve) (UNRESTRICTED FA)
    76 - Dieugot Joseph 6'6" 300 FIU (OT) (Reserve/Future Contract)
    64 - Jon Toth 6'5" 310 Kentucky (C) (Reserve/Future Contract)
    61 - Spencer Long 6'5" 318 Nebraska (C/G) *** RELEASED ***

say what you will - we have to go hard, and I mean HARD for OL help in both FA and the draft to keep Sam alive and upright.

NYJetsO12 and LarryAlRalph like this.