Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Dolphins have about $15 mil in cap space but just looking quickly, it looks like they could easily create the space to give Bell $17+ mil. Especially considering the way you can structure deals with bonuses and whatnot. No state income tax is probably extremely appealing, but I don't think the Dolphins in general are. Although, we do know that Bell loves Miami... all in all, I don't think they are a threat especially with Drake probably looking at an increased role.

Buccs are a legit threat I think. Arians is a guy that everyone should want to play for and he's got an extremely good reputation in this league. The question becomes how to they create space? They'd have to open up at least $10 mil. Could they ditch Gerald McCoy? That would free up the space immediately. Again, tack on the fact there's no income tax and I think TB becomes an extremely attractive situation.

Texans... eh. I think they have a nice thing going with Miller and Foreman once he's healthy. I think Bell would have to think about it long and hard if they made a competitive offer. I just don't think they will.

I think we all agree the Colts aren't going to go crazy over Bell because Mack and Hines have proven to be an extremely effective duo that cost close to nothing in comparison. Chiefs do have money, but they need to worry about guys like Dee Ford, Spencer Ware, etc. They won't be big players in free agency unless they don't franchise Ford and he moves on.

Long story short, the Jets have the ability to make the most competitive offer and considering the landscape, it shouldn't take "breaking the bank" to have the most competitive offer.

macbk likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Some Bell news:

Adams talked to Bell's agent the other day during a lunch and also this:

abc likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

I'm assuming this is just based of Manish's story posted one page back. If so, see my last post. We don't have to break the bank for Bell when you look at the free agent landscape. The only team that could really push us into breaking the bank is Indy and I don't think they will.

4. 101GangGreen101

Ah didn't see that good stuff. I wouldn't break the bank for Bell regardless. Also, be on the lookout for the crappy Dolphins. I don't think Indy will offer Bell a contract.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Great takes. I thought of Oakland too but who the hell wants to go there? :D

6. BroadwayAaron

I guess the question becomes, what is "breaking the bank"?

Todd Gurley signed a 4 year, $57,500,000 contract with $45,000,000 guaranteed. To me, you have to offer Bell at least that because 1. he's on the same level as Gurley and 2. every time there's a new contract, it's higher than the previous "largest ever". That's just how it goes, although we may catch a break given the unique set of circumstances surrounding Bell.

The first year that Gurley's extension kicks in, his cap hit will be only $9 mil but he was guaranteed $21 mil at signing so you can easily structure the contract the way Bell wants it but still preserve cap space this year. Gurley's cap hits are structured so that they go down yearly too. Let's say we signed Bell to the exact same deal as Gurley... he'd have a $14 mil cap hit the year we have to resign Sam to probably big money. To me, that's worth it.

7. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the same thing. After all don't we have third pick or something like that? Going from 3rd to 15 or 20 should net something exactly like what you're describing.

Then again this is the jets we're talking about. Never rule out the ridiculous or stupid.....

8. BroadwayAaron

Bell and Gruden... something tells me it wouldn't work out...

macbk likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Bell is a better receiver then Gurley. Last time I remember, Bell was trying to get paid like a receiver. I don't have a problem spending money while on Sam's rookie contract, that's when you want to win a SB. Jets have to think smart. If you can find a RB that can carry the load and run the ball well, you could roll with that RB and McGuire as the pass catching option

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

There are clearly two sides to this coin. Just because Bell could provide the Jets with a solid running game does not mean that he is the only one who can. I would rather invest in a young RB in the draft. Again, that is just me and my view of this situation.

NYJetsO12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

I would always prefer to find a RB in the draft, I agree. They are a dime a dozen and can be found in the late rounds. I would rather take that cash and upgrade the offensive line, maybe pick up a few corners, fill out some other positions.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

You are not wrong in thinking that way, and I shared your view until recently. I'm still not against drafting a RB, but there's no RB prospect that offers the complete package Bell does and he's 27 at the start of next season. He can give ~3 productive seasons given his age and year without taking a beating. With a QB on his rookie contract, he needs to be surrounded with as many play makers as possible while he's making peanuts and Bell has proven to be one.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Bell wouldn't provide the Jets with just a solid running game. He'd be the best receiver on our roster by the numbers. He's right up there with Kamara as the best dual threat in the league, and I'd probably have him above most days. He makes every player around him better because of how dangerous he is in multiple facets of the game. I know it was fun to watch James Conner have a great year, but the Steelers finished 31st in rushing. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Of course you'd love to find the next Kamara in the 3rd round, but the reality is more often than not, these mid-round guys turn out to be JAGs that bounce around if they're lucky enough to even stay in the league. When you have a young potential franchise QB making peanuts, you go do everything you can to put the best team around him. Look at the Rams... they secured Gurley, traded for Cooks, signed Woods and found a gem in Kupp in the third round. They hit in every facet. They didn't just build through the draft or make budget signings hoping for the best. They went balls to the wall and that's exactly what we need to do.

14. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

manish doesnt know mashit

15. PennyandtheJets

I don't disagree with regard to Bell's receiving ability. I think that and his patience finding the hole are his two best traits.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Sometimes you have to pull the trigger. He's only what, 26-27 years of age? And one of the top 1-3 offensive skilled players within the entire league? And we have the cap space to bring in our best offensive player SINCE Curtis Martin @ HB? For an offense that SUCKS and needs elite help? lol. No brain decision here people. If L.Bell wants to become a Jet? Well, then, he better be taking pressure off of Sam Darnold and out entire offense in Green and white.

Draft a 1st round O-Lineman @ 3rd overall for both Sam and Bell for all i care. "Make our offense great for once".

17. BroadwayAaron

Again... why can't you sign offensive line upgrades, pick up a corner, and fill out some other positions if you give Bell a Gurley-like contract structure?

The Rams should be the blueprint. Have a set of balls, spend your money, use your assets, do everything you have to do to get the best roster possible around your young franchise QB. What other teams with a young QB have been passive and found success?

ColoradoContrails and NYJFOREVER like this.
  18. PennyandtheJets

You aren't wrong.

I personally would rather see the Jets go free agency for a Olineman or two, top notch defensive players (because there are a lot of good players this year), and sign a couple of vet receivers like Golden Tate, Humphries and/or Tyrell Williams. I realize that having an elite player helps, but they simply have to start drafting guys.

Fact of the matter is, if they don't start hitting picks in the mid rounds, it won't matter who we sign.

JetsNation06 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

Well the last sentence is the problem. And not that it's a GOOD reason, but a big part of the reason why this team needs to go sign guys like Bell is because there's no way you can bank on them finding a legit starter past the first round of the draft.

I'll ask again... why can't you sign Bell, Humphries, an edge rusher and an OL?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

Here's a good method for posting in this thread. Before you make your post about how the Jets shouldn't sign Bell, say this sentence to yourself:

"The Rams should have let Gurley walk for Tevin Coleman."

See how that sentence makes you feel, then formulate your post from there.