Jets Fans...Take a Deep Breath

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

For those cautioning patience and optimism, I think you really need to take a step back and think about what you're saying. You have absolutely no objective facts upon which to base your optimism, nothing you can conclusively point to and say "This proves Gase is a good HC". You're basing your optimism on bits and pieces of his work, and discounting significant red flags _ the virtual equal, but opposite tack of those who question his fitness for the job. And you're asking - demanding really - that those of us who have swallowed the Kool Aid in the past, take another big gulp because somehow this time it will be different. Sorry, I'm not drinking. I'll watch and wait and see what happens, but I'm not optimistic based upon Gase's record and his personality, as well as keeping in mind that we still have the same guy acquiring "talent". I'm relieved that Bowels is gone, but I can't say I believe we're on the right path yet, and the clock is ticking.

You want to believe that Gase is the next McVay or Belichick, drink up, but don't bother pouring one for me.

2. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It's really the same old song and dance from when we hired Bowles who had barely any (3 games) of HC experience but was sold to us as a solid, disciplined no nonsense football guy. He was the furthest thing from that, but everybody was supportive, loved the hire. Parcells loved Bowles, ringing endorsements everywhere...and he sucked

Same with Gase. Namath loves him, Pennington loves him, Darnold loves him...fine whatever we're in the honeymoon phase here. But overall with Gase it's a total coinflip. I've seen some good things out of him, I've seen bad things out of him. I've never seen him as inept nor as a guy who could ever become a great coach. I just hope we surround him with a solid staff, good talent (not much faith in those choosing it) and that the team buys into him we could go well. But he can just as easily alienate the locker room and we'll be 4-12 next year too

3. ColoradoContrails

Exactly how I feel.

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It’s one thing to say let’s not run him out of town in hysterics before his press conference and another to anoint him the next belichick. That’s quite the disparity don’t you think?

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Did he really quit the board?

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Johnny, we had people on this board who did not want Mcarthy and refused to look at his resume as a reason for the jets to hire him.

Now we have guys who are looking at a 22-25 record HC and calling him an offensive guru, and saying look at the work he has done.

Are you seriously knocking the frustration of your fellow jet fans when you hear this type of reasoning or logic?

#46 Red Menace, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Great post, sir.

I understand that with some people, they need to find a way to make it fit. For it to make sense, sense of security. It's like an optimistic defensive mechanism.

I get it..

I am also at the point where it's time to call a spade a spade... I cant just ignore the ACTUAL facts of this hire and pretend like we have an owner that "gets it" now.

I've been fooled a couple times with those same words...

"We know we've got to do better. I've got to so better"

"We want nothing more than a winner. A superbowl caliber team that the fans can be proud of."

Yet, they turn around and hire a guy that is the complete opposite of optimism, the complete opposite of a winner, then complete opposite of what hope looks like.

This is not a guy I have faith in because simply, he hasn't shown ANYTHING to have faith in. I have eyes, I have a brain, I cant just pretend like Gase has done these extraordinary feats because he simply hasn't. Not even close.

So, to each their own, I hope I'm wrong.
    I do.

I just dont think I am and certainly dont have a reason to feel otherwise.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I TOTALLY understand frustration...Ive been a fan about 38 years. But that thread has nothing to do with frustration. Its just bashing the Jets without having any idea how its going to turn out. Gase's record isnt great but he only had a healthy QB one year. Went to playoffs. There wasnt a no brainer coach to hire, McCarthy included. MOST Jet fans wanted a coach with experience-check. We wanted a young guy-Check. A fiery guy-check. An offensive guy-check. And a guy who can work with SD-check. All this considerd, the fact that 98% of the reaction in that thread was like I hired Todd Bowles son to coach the team, is ludicrous. It borders on insanity

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

And Ive been in the "darksider" camp since Ive been on this board ( for almost 14 years????? my god im getting old) . My point is the point of hysteria is completely assinine and over the top.

Example, that assclown NC quitting teh board and his Jet fandom? hahahhaa think about how fucking stupid that is....its awesome for us but think about how stupid. NC has ZERO idea how Gase will do here....zero but he quit the board hahahahah. Frustration is one thing, that is far beyond frustration

FJF likes this.
  10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I am very hopefully that in 3/4 years that I was incorrect buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut sorry to say Gase will be another Bowles when all is said & done. Geez just think that MCC & Chris selected Gase & think that 5 other teams passed over him. :mad:

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

May a remind U by a long shot more NYJ fans ARE NOT members of TGG then are :mad:

12. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I can think of some reasons.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I can fully accept your perspective, although from what I've read, not a lot of people are advocating he is the next McVay. I can't honestly say I am optimistic nor pessimistic, kind of disappointed more that anything, but sure as hell remain hopeful and wish him nothing but the best, as I did with Bowles. My take is simple this, he is now a Jet and we need to root for him to be successful for the good of the team, the fans and the organization. It's one thing to have serious doubts and be cautious or even pessimistic, is a totally different thing to begin crucifiction before he even starts or worst rooting against him so we can fire him in one year like some are advocating. What good would that do? So we can begin to criticize the next choice a year from now? . History is not on our side.
    Who knows. After what seemed an eternity last year we finally got our QB, may be we can finally get lucky with a coach this year.

14. ColoradoContrails

First, if you want anyone to even consider agreeing with you, maybe you should stop referring to their opinions as "hysterical".

Second, you - or any of the Gase supporters - haven't provided any factual evidence that he's a good HC. Even if I accept that he's got a good track record working with QBs, that doesn't mean he can effectively work with a whole team.In fact, his tenure as Miami's HC seems to prove otherwise. He even had control over the roster, so the excuse that he didn't have much to work with doesn't let him off the hook. Is he better than Bowles? Given that low bar I should hope so, but is that what we've been screaming for - a .500 +/- coach to lead us to the Almost Playoffs? In fact, had he been the HC here for the past three years with the performance he had in Miami, we'd be screaming for his head, but now all of sudden, without taking any time to reflect on what went wrong, he's a great choice? Puhleaze!

Third, you haven't answered the issues that are the real red flags: He's alienated players, the media, and his owner; his ego is massive and he becomes defensive when questioned - not a good trait for someone who obviously has made mistakes. He may well have engineered his own firing so he could be free to leave the team and pursue a better deal for himself.

Fourth, if those "hysterics" who are questioning his hiring actually "run him out of town", then he wasn't tough enough for the job and good riddance.

If the Jets struggle early on, he's going to hear it, and he'd better be ready to handle it or Chris and Macc will be looking for yet another HC next year.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I'm glad you can remain hopeful. I'm sure the majority of Jets fans - being younger and not fed up with the endless pipedreams - will join you in that hope. But there's a lot of us who can no longer just "remain hopeful". For us it's "put up or shut up" time; deliver on your decades-long promises, or get the fuck out of here. Gase is the HC, we have to accept that. But we don't have to accept any "learning curve" or "honeymoon" - he needs to deliver NOW.

Chris said he was "big game hunting". Well to me it looks like small game - again. We'll see. Maybe Gase will succeed. I'm not rooting against him, but I'm not going to rely on "hope" either. The clock is ticking.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gase isn't the problem. I'm watching the KC game. Mac passed on Mahomes. The Jets passed on Marino and it cost this team for years. Mac needed a QB and passed on maybe the best QB of a generation. Darnold is a consolation prize to stupidity.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah its been a few days and I still hate this hire. I don't think I've ever heard as many negative comments about a new Jets coach. I just can't see what the attraction was. It just couldn't be the development of Darnold. Being head coach requires dealing with the whole team. What is really hard to read is that the Miami offense was pretty bland for an X&O's guy.

18. ColoradoContrails

You're right, but he isn't likely to be the solution either. How long until we hear the bickering and finger-pointing between he and Macc, because you know he won't kep silent like the "good soldier" Bowles.

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Take a look at McCarthy's record the last 3 years. This is like saying the worlds greatest punch card operator should be the President of Apple.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So did 9 other teams. One of them didn’t even think he was the best QB in the draft.

This is crazy hindsight.

101GangGreen101 and IIMeanDeanII like this.