Optimistic Look at Adam Gase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 9, 2019.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

apparently i'm in the minority and like the hire.

He's young but has NFL head coaching experience

he was nearly 500 on a real bad/dysfunctional organization; kicked our butts repeatedly and even outsmarted the Pats once

A number of well respected people are going public with praise -- not some unnamed NFL executive crap

I have a good feeling (hope) he will be like Pete Carrol going to Seattle -- i.e., eventually found the right gig at the right time.

Key issue (not to minimize things): how will he fill out his staff.

Sam Hammer and JetBlue like this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You maybe able to evaluate the #3 pick, but the 2 thirds back will take time. The BS draft grades posted immediatly following the draft are meaningless.
    The Johnson's tend to fire coaches a year too late, not 4 years too soon.
    Please, if you want to debate this, state something factual. Not just hyperbole or opinion.
    I hope to be wrong and Gase leads us to multiple Super Bowls. But until he proves he is
    1 capeable of developing a QB, which he has never done
    2 communicate with and effective lead men and
    3 win
    I will remain skeptical

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Baseball managers are the most over-rated position in sports.....a quality head football coach might be the biggest!!

4. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Once again, Gase had total control of personnel once on the field. He told the GM the types of players that were needed and who should be kept and who should go. He did not scout college players because he was coaching an NFL team. When did if he have time to do all of what you're saying? Ross is saying that the GM should have had more say of who stays and who goes. Instead, they listened to Gase and conducted their free agency and draft accordingly. But Gase was not qualified to do all of that stuff because he was busy coaching an NFL team. Not difficult to understand. Year 1 made Stephen Ross overconfident and allowed Gase to dictate who stays, who goes and the types of players needed in the draft and free agency. That is the job of the GM.

Here in NY, Gase will be evaluated on his coaching alone since he will not have final say on personnel matters, only input.

BrowningNagle and JetBlue like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

Honestly, if Gase works out, I hope one thing that he doesn't change is how he handles the media.

6. rickjet

Parcells and Bele-cheat can be asshole hard-asses cause they have won and have the resumes for it, this clown has
    won shit!!!!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. major33

Here in NY let's just evaluate Gase on his coaching ability since he will not be dictating who stays, who goes, who gets drafted and who we sign in free agency. He is now free to be the head coach only which he should have been in Miami. Part of his contentiousness is having too much on his plate in Miami. Like I said, if the direction is not going upwards, he will be fired very quickly.

We should both agree that here in NY he should be evaluated on his coaching ability only and not personnel moves.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

And his coaching was terrible.
    That's my concern. You posted the question to me, challenging me to name any talent he had in Miami, I gave you a dozen pro bowl players, multiple all pros, and a half dozen well above average players, and you completely changed your argument

9. rickjet

[​IMG]

Horrible decision by horrible executives, ........Is it too early to start the fire Adam Gase thread??

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

That's fair.
    I hope he learns from his past mistakes.
    Grows as a coach, and becomes a leader and the Jets become a winning franchise under him

major33 likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

That thread started before the Gase hired thread !!! :p

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

too soon?

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  13. major33

I don't want to fight with you because, in the end, we both want the same thing. I wanted Baker Mayfield in the draft and was hugely disappointed that Cleveland took him. Had Darnold ranked as the 3rd or 4th best QB. However, I'm all in on Darnold and want him very much to correct his flaws and be a Hall of Famer. I believe Gase can really help him. If not, like I said he's gone and you were right, he is a shit head coach.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think our disappointment is beginning to cloud our thinking and we are starting to drink too much of the Miami cool aid from the fans and the ownership, all of which is stemming from the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL.
    Did he fail, yes, but not without getting quite a bit out of less than stellar cast, no different that every single prior HC including some HOF. It was far more that Gase that caused the Dolphins to underperform.
    IMO we are overreaching for negative things to find because that was not our preferred choice at all..
    First, lets stop the assumption that free agency will get even harder for us. I'm not buying into it. I think we are blowing this shit way out of proportion. Is not like free agents were dying to come to the Jets before, even though presumably ever player loved Bowles. And when we got a stud, or thought it was a stud, like Johnson, he under performed all to hell playing way outside his strong suit.
    We are trying very hard to portray Gase as enemy #1, yet we read reports that the majority of the team was lining up to wish him well in the new assignment. We also know he was a rising star, anointed by many analysts as the Offensive guru way before we knew who MacVay was. Unfortunately, one went to Miami, and one went to a great organization with a solid QB.
    We are also crapping on Gase for not paying attention to the D, yet he got fired and was most vocal against the owner because he argued it was the D not the O that needed an infusion of talent in the draft first. What gives folks?
    We got him, like it or not, and we should all root for him and Mac to be successful. As Jet fans the last thing we need is another house cleaning under this "business like" ownership.

FJF likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sorry man, we're the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL and it isn't even close.

NYJetsO12 and barfolomew like this.
  16. rickjet

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is how I feel about it as well. The Fins have been a bad organization for a while. For as bad as we’ve been, we’ve had far more success in the last 20 years than they have. It’s hard to judge Gase fully from that tenure.

LAJet likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It occurred after the season? you were there? lol. Gase was fired the very next day after the season ended in Buffalo. So the owner and Gase got into a fight that day and he fired him? Maybe it's Miami fans (if there are any) that should be concerned. The owner seems quite emotional and impulsive

19. TonyFtLaud

Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong point, at the end of the season. Not after the season. It was one of several factors that played into the decision to fire him.

20. major33

But Tony is right about something that is very important. In Miami, they gave Gase too much power in personnel decisions when it should have been the responsibility of the GM. When a head coach makes personnel decisions on who stays and who goes, then he has to justify it by playing those players he wanted to be kept when the GM and talent evaluators may have said no. That is where the friction was in Miami. This is on the owner, Stephen Ross for setting it up that way. Unfortunately, the owner can't be fired. Otherwise, Chris Johnson would be out on his ass.

BrowningNagle likes this.