Adam Gase New HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Do you approve Gase signing?

1. Yes

22.3%
  2. No

45.8%
  3. Too early to tell

31.9%
  1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I didn't say you have faith. I said what your belief that Gase is a better hire than McCarthy is insane.

Wahoo likes this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I wish I knew someone selling some real Jets memorabilia!

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

When was the last time Mike made the playoffs? Hint the same year Gase did. McCarthy was a good coach 10 years ago. He's from the Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree. He has had an absolute free ride to the playoffs in a crappy division and the best qb on the planet.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Guys we have a franchise QB...If Gase can develop Darnold thats all one can hope for.

This team needs alot of work. Mike McCarthy is good he also was very mediocre without Aaron when they played. He also should have won more with Favre

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Biggs always playing Devil's Advocate yet still manages to bring a sense of balance. I wasn't sure how to feel about McCarthy and sometimes things on paper don't mean as much as people put stock in, but Gase over McCarthy? C'mon, now. This hire cemented my opinion that there was a boatload of self-interest going on with Maccagnan. No way anyone placed even one phone call to either Harbaugh because that would mean demotion or firing Maccheese's frappucino ass.

boozer32 and CBG like this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Did benigno blow a gasket today??

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I would have rolled with the unknown/exciting like Monken or Kingsbury but Gase/McCarthy are both in the same tier to me. They’re both offensive guys that would be hired to help Darnold. I think Gase has more upside long term but things could bomb out a lot more easily

McCarthy is just meh and I don’t think that highly of him (apparently the rest of the NFL feels similarly)

I’d rather hire the boom or bust guy in Gase because the goal is to win it all...I get McCarthy actually did that but it was in a different NFL with a Hall of Famer running the show. The McCarthy of late hasn’t been good

The whole thing getting blown up quickly would actually be better than a bunch of decent seasons which is what I would have expected under McCarthy

Sounds crazy but that’s how I feel

Biggs likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't love the Gase hire. I think Miami had a terrible team and an injured mediocre starting QB and played over their heads this year. The Packers mailed it in the last 2 years. I get not loving the Gase hire. I don't get the McCarthy love. He's been at best mailing it in and he clearly didn't want to be here. That alone would have made it a terrible hire. You can't hire a HC who doesn't want to be where the team is located. I would have loved to see us make a serious move to get either Harbaugh. I don't get the Gase sucks and McCarthy is great. Green Bay didn't let him end the season with dignity, they threw him out mid season. That says something.

King Koopa likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Just like we laughed at the bills for hiring Rex.

Wahoo, Cman68 and Since1969 like this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this Jeto I don't believe for a second that they made 1 inquiry about either Harbaugh

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Bro.

12. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

gives some insight into why johnson loved gase

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Gase worked with Peyton Manning for 3 years. Can't ask for a better person to teach Sam. The key will be everything else. Can Gase get along with the rest of the roster? Can he hire someone to run the defense and make it successful? Can Mac build the right pieces around Sam in the Draft and Free Agency?

I will say this: If Adam Gase truly blew the Jets brass out of the water with his interview, then that is who they should have hired. They knew the fans would hate it. So he must have been really good.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I was not happy with that one either. Thought they should have gone with Dan Quinn. But Woody panicked because Quinn was still coaching deep into the playoffs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

oy...i'm still not over hiring herm edwards over john fox. LOL

or kotite over carroll.

or groh over weiss.

it goes on and on.......LOL

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Especially one who has given up on the team, but can't stop talking about them.

FJF likes this.
  17. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Do I know just the guy for you!

18. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

People that wanted McCarthy need to realize they aren’t getting the same coach that won the Super Bowl almost ten years ago. It is known league wide that his offense has gone stale.

And think of this... of all the Super Bowl winning head coaches that became coaches of a second team you expect Mike McCarthy to be the first one to win another SB. I doubt it.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If I hear that stat about Super Bowl coaches on their second teams one more time, I'm gonna pull an Adam Gase.

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I "liked" this because I think i's a balanced report based upon 1st-hand info.But it's troubling to me that Johnson made the decision based upon how Gase made him feel, and because Gase came across as sort of an "anti-Bowles", much like when you break up with someone you look for the opposite traits in the next person. It seems like Johnson put a lot of stock in how Gase handled this interview, but it seems to have made him overlook the most important interactions Gase will have: with the media and fans, which Gase's track record doesn't promise will be quite so successful. No matter how smart Gase might be, if he can't completely change how he's interacted with people he doesn't like, he's going to fail, and I see no evidence that he's learned his lessons.