Optimistic Look at Adam Gase

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 9, 2019.

1. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I have a very good friend who's a big dolphins fan. Loves Gase. He said the fins firing him was a terrible decision and he's very upset that Gase is coming to the Jets (as he hates the Jets). He says that the fins had terrible injuries last year and with another coach they would have 2 games or so, rather than the 6 they won. He says Gase was "Sean McVay before Sean McVay. Just with no luck." He points out that he has a 500 or so record with the fish and the fish started a backup QB during half his starts. He also says "Give him a QB and some talent and he is outstanding." Sounds like the perfect guy for Darnold.

On the negative, he said his coaching hires were a mixed bag.

2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Gase could be a very good HC, it's possible he could do really well, but the problem with the hire is that it's a crapshoot. The Jets are GAMBLING with their golden opportunity of a second year franchise quarterback and all the cap space in the world. I wasn't all that excited with McCarthy, BUT, he DID win a Super Bowl and that alone is proof that he is a legitimate NFL head coach that can do the same with the Jets. Hiring Gase is basically the same as another team hiring Bowles, it's another coordinator who got promoted to head coach and failed. The Bills did this with Rex too after he failed with us. In all sports, how many times have we seen a coach crap the bed under pressure playoff situations

This is extremely poor decision making on the part of the Jets executives

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

See this is exactly what I don't understand. Of course he is a gamble. Any head coach you hire is a gamble. Bellicheck was a gamble after sucking it up in Cleveland. Andy Reid was a gamble when he was fired in Philly. Sean McVay was a gamble as the youngest head coach and ZERO head coaching experience. Every single head coach is a gamble.

I wanted McCarthy more than anyone on here, but he was also a gamble. People questioned his offensive philosophy and his drop off in the past 3 years with Aaron Rodgers. Thinking you are going to hire a new head coach and not take a gamble, is a fairy tale.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Well, now having slept on it, here's where I'm at.

What the actual fuck.

I am by nature an extremely glass half filled optimistic Jet fan. I want to love every move they make. Recently, I loved the Rex hire, cautiously optimistic about the Bowles hire, I try to give Mac every benefit of the doubt, don't believe the Johnson's are the worst owners in sports, don't think Leo is fat.

But this was THE most important hire in at least 20 years and maybe in 50.

This was setting up to be the perfect offseason--we have FINALLY found the most important piece in Sam, we dumped an overmatched incompetent coach, we have $100 million to spend, a great draft pick, the Pats starting to falter.

I wanted the PERFECT hire but admittedly, it didn't exist. Neither of the Harbaughs, McCarthy with some warts, some college coaches? Some supremely inexperienced "up and comers". To be fair, not a lot available.

But we picked a dude who seems to have very poor people skills who just got fired by a slapdick organization for alienating players and the front office and for not really producing all that much.

Why? What was the motivation? I'm trying to like this pick but I'm really struggling here.

So I'll put on my Happy Happy Joy Joy hat.

He's an offensive coach, some say he has an innovative offensive mind and that he can develop a QB, which for me was the Prime Objective. And if it's true that Sam wanted the guy, then that gives me some comfort.

Look, I don't have any idea what he is as a coach, I don't read Miami papers of fan forums and I see Fins games just like you guys, on the Red Zone or when they're on prime time. I don't know what kind of coach he is.

I just see a guy who is kind of an asshole who most ex-players are not saying great things about him. Jet players almost to a man are lauding Bowles but he was a shitty coach so maybe that doesn't matter.

But I don't want this guy going in and burning down the house. I heard about Gase "it's his world and you're just living in it". Has a very high opinion of himself so hopefully he's right (but as I've said, hope is not a strategy).

I can't do this anymore--hoping we fail so that we move on to bigger and better things in the future. I don't want to go into next year hating my head coach.

So I'm not going to. I'm hoping Adam Gase, the asshole, becomes OUR asshole that Pats and Fins and Bills fans hate for years.

Because he makes us winners.

But goddamit.

5. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Really? Mangini was a treat compared to Rich Kotite and boring offense Joe Walton. Give Gase a chance and if he sucks he can always be canned after one season. Darnold is still very young so it's not like we're wasting his prime. Mac is the real issue here. We need better talent on the field. Miami had the same problems. Bad drafting and lack of talent.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Was referring to him being a Guru. He's not.
    First year in Miami ,he ran a power run Offense, was actually successful. Had the personnel for it. Said he was unsatisfied with it, and decided to go to an up tempo no huddle. Didn't have the personnel and failed.
    Still confused. Was your entire post supposed to be a joke or just the Belichick reference?
    Smile emoji would help if sarcasm or humor was meant to be conveyed.
    Sorry though, Didn't mean to fuck up your joke.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Where was the talent in Miami, Tony? The front office let Gase down, not the other way around. Tannehill was a HUGE problem because of his injuries and they could never develop any continuity. And their defense was mostly trash.

8. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure....I think if he can recapture his days prior to Miami and really focus on the offence and bring in some talent to help Darnold I think I could be pleasantly surprised. I think a key would be if the rumours are true that Greg Williams is being linked to the Jets. He will bring an attitude the Jets have been missing on defense . Gase needs to surround himself with talent with the coordinators not just getting talent on the field.

9. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

lets see Sam go for 4000+yards and 30/10 td/int and well all be happy

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry for not keeping up..been outa town

But can someone explain WHY m McCarthy was not given this job after 2 days of wine/dine???

Was it his decision or mostly our stupidity??

Gase sounds like your choice of Leftovers

#70 NYJetsO12, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Peebag likes this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is the biggest joke I have ever seen, go find another team then if you want us to fail. If any Jets fan wants us to fail this upcoming season then just hand in your fan card.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I have a friend who's a huge Dolphins fan.

He's gay

That is all.

13. Rollo Tomassi

Did you just read what I said?

The whole thing?

Even the last part?

And GTFO telling me to find another team--there isn't a more optimistic Jet fan here than me.

14. TonyFtLaud

I Keep reading that same line but Gase was the front office in Miami. He had full roster control and final say of draft picks. He hand picked his roster.
    He ran every talented player out of town. Played lesser talent that he liked.
    Changed a successful offense that he installed year 1, that fit his players to a completely different style year 2 that simply did not fit his players.
    Wake, Suh, Landry, Ajayi,xavien Howard, Rashard Jones, Frank Gore,Robert Quinn, Josh Sitton, John Denney,Mike Pouncey,.Danny Amendola . All pro bowlers.
    Add Stills, Drake, Kiko Alanso, Parker, Tunsil, Juan James, Byron Maxwell, Julius Thomas,Lawrence Timmons, koa misi,
    That's alot of talent.

NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

I wanted us to fail last year so we could get Sam who I've been pining over for 2 years.

When the shit started downhill this year I wanted them to fail so we were forced to move on from Bowles.

I want this franchise to move into the future, a bright future where we are competitive year in and year out.

Not 8-8 or 6-10 or 7-9 or 5-11 and no playoffs for a decade.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Man, I much prefer the guys that picked up their ball and went home as opposed to all this fucking hand wringing and whining.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

LAJet likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

Johnson was all set to hire him but Peyton Manning called him and told him to hire Gase.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is exactly the point. Maybe, possibly, Gase works out. But there is at least as good a chance - or better - that he flames out. Based upon the defensiveness he displayed to the media in that post-game interview, and the reports of him feuding with his owner, I can't fathom how he's going to handle the media swamp in NY. This has such a big red flag, I'm astounded that the Johnsons and Macc couldn't see it! This is simply reckless and incompetent decision-making.

19. TonyFtLaud

Your friend or Gase? :D

joe likes this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

So you'd rather read one "great hire!" rubber stamp after another?

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.