2018 Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by dawinner127, Aug 29, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The league I was in and ran for years was setup this way---> it was 12 teams in the league and a 12 week season. Each week you did NOT play head to head as it went this way = the top 6 highest scoring teams each week got wins the bottom 6 scoring teams got losses . Week 13 playoffs began and the top 3 teams from the season got byes and teams / seeds 4-5-6 played a 1 week 13 playoff where the team that scored highest advanced the other 2 were out. You now had 4 teams remaining and week 14 they all played each other only the highest scoring team got a win---week 15 the same deal highest scoring team got a win and IF it was the same team that won the previous week then he won the league and cash, If a different team won that week then the winners of week 14 and 15 played head to head in week 16 for all the marbles and the other 2 remaining teams played in the consolation week 16 game.If by chance the same team won weeks 14 and 15 and he was declared the winner after 2 playoff weeks then instead of 2 teams in that consolation week 16 game there would have been 3 teams in the consolation game. I am not sure if you guys were able to follow this but it was simple and the 11 other owners liked it and I loved this format and INVENTED / Came up with it with 2 buddies and it took some of the luck out of H2H and evened the playing field somewhat . I can tell you that sometimes as with h2h the best team did not always win the league but the best record and highest scoring teams had a better chance of making it to the end and more times than not , they did make it to the end.

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Same stuff happened to me in my FanDuel league last year. I had 3 of the top 7-8 highest scoring weeks and I never won a week, meanwhile someone who I outscored by 350 points throughout the entire season won 5 times.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The defending champion is back in the title game! Great season. Need to finish on top. As usual, let's talk my QB2 for the championship:
    Carr, Foles, or Darnold? Also, my Kicker is Crosby but I could switch to Myers. I have Fournette, but I sadly think I have to bench him for Conner this week if he returns. Fournette is not reliable on that terrible Jags O.

Also, I am with you guys with H2H, but that is what makes fantasy fun and challenging. I wouldn't want to be in a league that just adds up points. My league, which is H2H, still ended up with the 2 highest scoring teams in the Championship.

CBG likes this.
  4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Okay I saw this tweet early this AM and still do not understand how Cam didn't post any points.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It sucks when it goes that way but eventually things even out if you play long enough. I've had plenty of seasons in my one league where I'd get a bye and then lose my first playoff game to some inferior team. This year I'm the inferior team that's somehow gotten to the final with a 6-7 regular season record (9th of 12 teams in points scored) and fewer than 100 points in my two playoff games.

But sometimes it's not that random, I did win that league one year at 15-1 outscoring everyone by like a hundred points.

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I've been looking into different ways to format my league. I thought about splitting the total winnings between total points and H2H. The top 3 scoring teams would win money and the H2H winner would win money while the highest scoring team each week gets a little money too. Also looked at doing everyone plays everyone every week and in the playoffs everybody plays everybody for 3 weeks and the best record wins. Not really sure yet

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Darnold and Myers.

Easiest way to mitigate the luck in points for and points against is by playing multiple schedules a week. I've been the commissioner of my league for almost 15 years and we are finally switching to it next season. CBS offers some really good customization for scoring, but you have to pay for website use. It's absolutely worth it.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

hi dark knight.

I have Gurley as my lead back but I have Fournette as my RB2. Should I keep him in the lineup or bench him for Jamaal Williams or Eli McGuire?

9. The Dark Knight

Yeah, you are in the same spot as me. After last week, I just can't trust Fournette or the Jaguars to actually use him. The match-up vs. Miami is great though. I think I am going with Samuels over him. As for you, I would go with Williams or McGuire. I think both will be used a lot Sunday. Fournette could still have a big game, but I would rather that happen on my bench than start him again and he loses me the championship with another dud performance.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. NYJFan10

Thank you Josh Gordon for being a useless piece of crap, so I could vacate his starting spot and pick up (of all people) Robby Anderson for championship week :p

CBG likes this.
  11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I thought I was crazy for picking him up, and starting him lol. What a great decision though right?

CBG likes this.
  12. NYJFan10

So I'm seriously about to win the league I was 5-7 in (and made the playoffs at 6-7) with a horrible season point total - though they finally went off this week - beating two 12-1 teams in the process, while I'm in a nailbiter to win my other finals where I had a 14-1 record and the highest scoring team by far. I thought I was doomed till Damien Williams outscored Tyreek Hill by enough to keep me alive. It's a superdeep league so I need 12 points from a defensive player - Tahir Whitehead - to win tomorrow night.

#532 NYJFan10, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  13. The Dark Knight

I had the most dominating season of my fantasy life time this year. I finished (14-2) and won the league. My team averaged 271 points a week. 2nd place averaged 229. I blew out both of my playoff opponents too. That is unheard of! No doubt having Patrick Mahomes helped, but I drafted really well besides him too. First time being back to back Champion as well. Hopefully I find a way to 3-peat in 2019, but no way I will have a roster this good again.

Anyone else win or have exciting title games?

14. NYJalltheway

I had 4 championships out of 6 leagues, and I've never had a team with only one loss until this year. I had a 15-1 team. As soon as the draft ended, I knew I nailed it. Pretty much every round felt like a guy slipped a full round to me.

CBG and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

Haha nice! Congrats! I usually only have one team, two at the most. I can't imagine managing 6 and then winning 4 of the 6? Impressive!

16. NYJalltheway

I know it sounds hard, but with having a few days to get your waivers put in, eventually (usually before bed) you find time to go thru them all.

Plus I'm pretty big into it, so I usually check my teams a few times per day for notes, or to see if any league transactions happened. So after a few weeks, you start to for the most part memorize all your team's roster.

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

congrats,,,no way I could manage that many teams heck this year I could not get my 1 team right LOL

18. NYJFan10

I wouldn't want to do that many simply because you would have too many damn conflicts. Even with just two teams this year I had a serious playoff conflict when I had Phillip Rivers as my starter in one semifinal and playing against him in the other. Thankfully I cut the pie and won both games (and eventually both leagues, so I did go 2/2).

My best team was a few years back when I did go 15-1 with by far the highest point total and lost my only game by three points in the regular season...beat that team by nine thousand points in the playoffs though so I got my revenge. Seems like ancient history since both my starting RB's (Arian Foster, DeMarco Murray) are no longer in football but it was only four years ago lol. My 15-1 team this year was awesome too but I don't want to take too much credit since it was a dynasty team I took over, I mostly did some depth/defensive player moves and drafted Darnold as a future in the first round but the offensive nucleus was there.

#538 NYJFan10, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018