Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

No point.
    If i was to use one - josh allen would sneak up super fast ninja style and steal it. Just ask Kiko... he STILL cant find his lunch money;)

2. Billsfan1212

Interesting though, all these teams have had vets throwing at some point and it didnt make a difference. If anything, the rookies provided more of a spark.... which is at least promising

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Nick Mullens rating 91.5
    Baker Mayfield rating 91.1
    Lamar Jackson 73.5
    Sam Darnold rating 68.3
    Josh Rosen rating 68.2
    Josh Allen rating 66.3

Nick Mullens is an UDFA plays for a terrible team and is balling in the NFL and right now better than ever one of these first round clowns.
    In fairness Lamar Jackson is having the best rookie year. While he isn't a great passer he is productive and his team is 3 and 0 in his starts.

Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mullens isn’t a rookie though and if he doesn’t show the importance of a quality HC, I don’t know what will.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

True he isn't really a rookie. He was cut in TC last year and never got off the practice squad. This is effectively his first year on an active NFL roster.

I like Shanahan and think he is a good HC. He's record is 8 and 20. How much patients management has will be interesting. Losing twice to AZ this year doesn't help.

They made a big bet on Garappolo although in reality the deal is so front loaded they can cut him after next year if he doesn't prove he's an elite NFL QB.

Next year is a huge year for both Shanahan and Garappolo. I can see both of them being cut if they don't prove to be elite.

6. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

Mullins is balling?!?!? Outside of that Raiders game he's 0-3 with 4 TD passes and 5 picks......that's balling?

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Funny because I remember him praising Darnold multiple times and Dan Orlovsky has praised Darnold in every video he's done and has actually called out our coaching for being pretty bad.

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Did you know in his last game against Seattle he threw for 414 yards 2TD's and 1Int and had a better game than Josh Allen has ever had including the win at MN.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Don't forget that you know we're Jets fans when our punter and kicker are two of our best players.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It's a good thing Darnold is super young. This year was a failed red shirt year.

Mayfield is the best of the pack right now.
    Barkley is winning OROY

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

They lost 43-16......garbage time yards matter to you? If 414 passing yards gets you 16 points that's nothing to be proud of.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Every game Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen have started and played has been garbage time. Mullins has looked better than all 3 of them.

Proud? What does that have to do with a guy who looks like an NFL QB and Josh Allen?

13. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Guess whos got a great offensive coach

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Guess who is the worst over all team.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In fairness to those 3 rookies you could argue that Mullins may be making a fresh start too, but he has the best coaching (relatively speaking) in Shanahan to help him

Also. just because the 3 QBs mentioned are having bad years doesn't mean they are not unlike a Goff or Trubitsky in year one and cant get a lot better next year especially with a coaching change.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

@Mods: Someone hacked NYJetsO12's account.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Nick Mullen’s spent his entire rookie season on the 49ers practice squad. An entire year learning the offense he is currently running. That is a huge difference than a rookie stepping in and starting. He shouldn’t be mentioned with or compared to any of the rookie QBs.

Just listen to everyone’s favorite hard on Pat Mahomes(who I loved pre draft btw). When he was asked if he could’ve done what he is doing now his rookie year his answer was no chance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Things will change with Mullens once more video gets around of him. When you don't know how to prepare for somebody, it's much harder to defend. It happens all the time with unproven guys, they show promise at first and almost always collapse later in the year. If I'm to believe Mullens is the real deal, he needs to get the 49ers some wins.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

In fairness the Mullins thing was a joke. It just points out how much these rookies actually suck and how unknown their future is. They could all turn out to be great. There were a lot great NFL QB's who sucked their rookie years. There are also a lot of NFL busts who sucked their rookie years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Billsfan1212

There is no point getting into stats re: yards, total yards etc. Well there is.... but there is no right answer and im enjoying the civil talk and dont want it to turn into a pissing match based on each personal view of whats important to a team and what isnt. I think the coaching point is all that really needs to be said.

Even if you are joking, i think there have been manu good points here that have gone more in depth and beyond that basic point. Rookies can have bad ganes but still make progress. Things like not bailing on pockets, making correct reads, making multiple reads, holding defenders with their eyes etc. Even if i didnt have a horse in the race i would disagree with the blanket statment that these r1qbs suck as each seems to have made progress. Its your right to feel that way, but i havent seen a single pundit share that view.

Odd however you use the MN game as Allens bench mark as most Bills fans wld consider that his 3rd best game this year FWIW