Fixing the Jets offense short term

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think SGB was suggesting we go to a "trick play offense", just mix one in once in a while, along with the "creative offense" you mentioned. In short, get away from the very predictable offense they're running now. It's so obvious they may as well announce the plays on the jumbotron before they run them.

Watkin and GasedAndConfused like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. still gotta take the risk sometimes

you'd be surprised. all it takes is one minor lapse in concentration from one of the players on the special teams unit for it to be a sucess. it didn't need to be a fake punt. i mean when was the last time the jets lined up on 4th down to try and draw the D offsides? every other team does it and yeah it works like 10% of the time but 10% is better then 0%

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

this^

not saying to go full wildcat or anything but in a close game where you offense can't move the ball for 3 quarters throwing out a trick play can make a huge difference. hell philly did it early on in the SB and won it. what do we have to lose?

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Perhaps I worded my post wrong. I realize the Jets offense is sub par . I’m saying so does the coaching staff which plays into their lack of imagination . McGuire, Herndon, and Enunwa are keepers . McGuire would be a great change of place for a # 1 RB. Herndon looks like a potential starter. Enunwa is an excellent, tough # 2 WR who needs a dependable # 1 WR across the LOS....other than those three - Mac has a lot of work to do in one off season.....

twown likes this.
  5. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Here's an idea: Let's stop putting our rookie QB in 3rd and long situations.

2nd and 10, 2nd and 9, 2nd and 15 (false start), etc.... I see them run the ball for 1-3 yards and keep putting Darnold in tough situations. Time to pass it, it's the NFL in 2018 not the 90s.

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It's been fairly clear that when the run game has worked the O has functioned reasonably well. So what can we do to help that out? I don't think the OL personnel can be improved significantly at this point or the backs, but how about using a full back? Other than that its the taking shots downfield and going up tempo more often.

7. Watkin

Watkin New Member

Let's gamble on Tebow...

Heck we might as well go after Sparano, Byrd, and McKnight.

That'll trick em.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

:(:(

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Any trick play I’ve seen the Jets try blow up in their faces.

Perfect the fundamentals before doing trick stuff. You know things like getting open and not dropping the ball.

For a second, I thought Robbie Anderson was going to throw the ball on that pitch out play on Sunday. That....did not work well.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if whoever starts vs. the Bills gets the support that Sam did not.

And by support I mean a run game, smart play calls, receivers that can seperate...and a center that can snap the ball.

If Todd Bowles calls in sick that would help as well...

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I agree the Jets have to open up the playbook. The offense has been dumbed down to protect Darnold. Bowles is ultra conservative but at some point, you just have to go for it.
    As far as throwing your WR open. That's what good QBs do. Darnold is not quite there yet.

12. GasedAndConfused

i've seen him do it. not consistently but you get better with practice and chemistry. i can't rememebr the last time i seen a back shoulder throw from us. maybe 4 weeks ago?

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It's still on him to make the throw. He's going to improve but he needs time. The opportunities have been there for back shoulder throws but they have been missed. Sam's still learning, but he has to go through his progressions faster. He doesn't have much experience so it's to be expected.
    Maybe the time on the bench will actually be good for him. He may see things he hasn't seen from the pocket.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is they've (or just Bates?) have designated him as a deep threat one trick pony.

With his speed they should try everything in the book end arounds, bubble screens, slants, intermediate routes etc. with his speed if he makes one guy miss he could be gone for a TD.

They ran a end around with him last week that was it. No imagination in this offense.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

i'm sure he sees it on film the next day. he just needs to basically learn how to be an NFL QB. his work ethic is great though and i have no doubts he will learn. hopefully as early as next year. we've seen flashes of it already. the 2 weeks off may be a good reboot for him so he can come back week 12 prepared and with a chip on his shoulder

16. GasedAndConfused

yeah they don't use him well at all. not even as a decoy. run him deep and pull a drag underneath to enunwa. every team does it but us and it works a majority of the time. the other thing that bothered me is the jets do a lot of "sit" routes. the problem with that is 4 WRs all sitting and if they are covered sam is fucked. it also hampers the WRs abilities. they are fine for a big TE in the middle against a zone D but against man they suck. we need to run more crosses and seam routes and let sam hit WRs in motion and keep the DBs guessing. i noticed the Dbs last sunday playing up with no cushion becuase they knew our WRs were gonna sit and they were there to defend it. if we ran robbie on a curl/go we would have burned them bad. IDK why bates can't see this with all his resources but a regular schmo like me sees it from watching it on TV

Red Menace likes this.
  17. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

Run rhe victory formation over and overvintil.th3 end of the year. No wins no injuries. Fire Bowles tonight

Taps

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the doctor had his license revoked.......:eek:

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

You beat me to it Warrior. One of the things that consistently worked last season (one of the few things) was McCown throwing bombs to Robby Anderson. If McCown is playing this week I hope and assume we'll see at least a couple attempts down the field to Robby.

20. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

What do you mean by your statement? I'm curious if you are being sarcastic or not.