Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'Curse of the Undead' (1959, starring a bunch of people I never head of, it's a hoot)

2. jetophile

May I suggest 'Diary of a Madman' (1963, starring my man, my main man, Sir Vincent Price). Synopsis:

"A 19th century judge (Vincent Price) acquires a condemned man's urge and butchers a canary and a model". Halloween can't get here fast enough, but Halloween is pretty much an all year long affair around here.

[​IMG]

3. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

jetophile likes this.
  4. jetophile

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  5. jetophile

I said I'm not gonna say it again, but I'm saying it again: 'Hereditary'. I saw it for a second time and I picked up on a couple of little things I missed the first time around. People really love this movie or think it's boring, slow, or stupid. I'm definitely in the first camp. I can't exactly say it's SCARY scary in a conventional since - because it isn't - it's just a great slow burn with a shocking conclusion and the entire film as a whole is deeply disturbing once it plays out. The way it's filmed is very dismal and dark and foreboding, reminds me of Kubrick or Polanski's 'Repulsion', but much more 'Rosemary's Baby'. SUPER spoilers to follow:

Annie (Toni Collette in an absolutely amazing performance that not only deserves an Oscar nod, she deserves to win) has always felt unsettled about her controlling mother and deep down inside, albeit subconsciously, she hates her and always tried to keep her mother away from her son, Peter. It turns out that Annie's father starved himself to death (anorexia, symbolic that he knew something and purposely withered away or was being controlled by his wife to make him die), and her brother killed himself and always said their mother was "trying to put things inside him". Of course easily explained away by mental illness, but when the dread starts building, you come to the conclusion he wasn't mentally ill at all. He was right.

At first you think Annie is in on it somehow, but then you realize, nope, not at all, which makes it more terrifying. She puts it together and her husband doesn't believe her. It's not a witches coven per see, it's a demonic cult from from the Middle Ages (but they kind of suggest it's far more ancient than that). Turns out that the symbol for the demon and the demon himself, King Paimon, was a real thing (creepy), which I think sooooooo much bettter than it being Satan.

Anyway, Collette probably won't get a nomination and it will go the way of 'GET OUT' (great movie, everyone got screwed) because of the subject matter. Much more to say about the film, but if someone wants to discuss it further in a spoiler paragraph, I'm game. : ) The great character actress Ann Dowd is also in it. In on it. Both.

6. jetophile

Tonight's film: 'The Tingler'. I love this movie. It's a freaking lobster, OK? When I say I love this movie, that's not even close. I adore it. God love William Castle. His only real claim to legitimacy was 'Rosemary's Baby'. He has a cameo when Mia Farrow is in the phone booth. He produced the film. Anyway, William Castle is an icon and a schlock God. I'll never get tired of his movies. As in never. Emergo, LMAO.

7. jetophile

'The Green Slime'. One of my favorite flicks ever. I have a top 2000, and I generously give this slot 99. "I'm the Commander." We all laugh about 'The Room', but this movie is hot shit, almost tops it. "Get the women and children out of here!" Plus, you just know that those druggies Sid and Marty Kroft stole the monsters for 'Sigmund and the Sea Monsters'. They totally did. Anyway, it needs to be seen to be believed. My late friend, a movie buff, loved it mostly because he was in love with Luciana Paluzzi. Put it on your list. It sucks!

8. jetophile

'The Haunting'.

Great flick, and Shirley Jackson (as well as Patricia Highsmith) are horribly underrated writers.

9. jetophile

I'm not sure if this was mentioned. 'Green Room', with Anton Yelchin. The sense of claustrophobia is palpable. Yelchin was very talented, and had his life cut short in a crazy weird freakish accident. I was so sad about it. Holy Shit, that was like Isadora Duncan level. I didn't see any of his Star Trek flicks, but he he was so damn good in 'Alpha Dog' and the re-make of 'Fright Night'. Oh, then there's always the 'Magician'. Hahahahaha.

#189 jetophile, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  10. jetophile

Speaking of Yelchin once again, 'Only Lovers Left Alive'.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I was going to come on here and talk about Salem's Lot, but I see it has been covered, so in the interest of offering something new...

Back in the '80s, my buddies and I enjoyed renting videos. We'd get three at a time and watch them over a Saturday afternoon. I know these days you have a choice of thousands of movies to stream instantly, but there was something about the ritual of browsing the video store shelves, choosing movies, buying some Cokes and some snacks and getting home to watch.

We would nearly always include a horror movie in our selection (usually along with some sort of screwball comedy and a war film). The 80s were a great era for horror movies and one that sticks in my mind was called Superstition. For some reason, I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago, did an internet search and there was a site with the whole film on, including the trailer. I hadn't seen the film for something like 30 years, but when I watched the trailer I remembered every single word, and even how the voiceover had delivered the lines! The film isn't bad - it had a great effect where a witch's face starts to pulsate and it still looks good today. It took me back a bit.

12. jetophile

You haven't lived until you've seen 'The Manitou' (1978 with Susan Strasberg, Tony Curtis, and Michael Ansara - Barbara Eden's late ex-husband who always played Native Americans when he wasn't [Lebanese]). "Bana witchy saluuuutuuu!" It's terrible, but so terrible it's great and so worth your time. I started shrieking after about 5 minutes in.

Let's start with the script, shall we? The dialogue is beyond laughable. I'm talking beyond the great beyond laughable. Tony Curtis recruits Native American medicine man to rid woman of evil spirit. It's growing in her back, and they take X-rays. It's a fetus, but the radiation from the X-rays have deformed it. When it's born, it's a Native American dwarf that's really pissed off and sends the hospital into outer space. It's so fckn classic there are just no words. But the best part of the movie is when Tony Curtis - who was a con man psychic bilking old ladies previously and also does a disco dance that defies the imagination - first consults the medicine man.

Of course, cliche of cliches, the medicine man is tending and hoeing an herb garden. The shaman/medicine man asks him something like, "Do you like vegetables?" "I like oregano in my salad." What the HELL does that MEAN?! So anyway, doctors try to remove the fetus surgically, but the demon/fetus wigs out and kills everyone in the OR with its mind, blood everywhere. Medicine man rattles some sticks and says some nonsense as it's born and flops to the floor. Then they're taken to a different dimension. I can't recommend this shitty movie enough. I don't do drugs or smoke weed, but if you do, don't consume before watching.

[​IMG]

13. jetophile

Re-make of 'Pet Semetary' coming out in 2019, but more of cult/animal mask wearing kid thing. You can't go wrong with John Lithgow.

EDIT & P.S.: I always thought it was a pile of shit that Gage wasn't a pile of jelly. There would literally be nothing left of him.

14. jetophile

I can't believe that no-one has mentioned 'The Evil Dead', 'The Evil Dead 2', and 'Army of Darkness'. Shame on you all. Speaking of Sam Raimi, 'Drag Me To Hell' was pretty fun. My MIL was full Albanian, and trust me, you don't want a gypsy hexing your ass.

15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Anyone going to see the new Halloween? The trailer to it looked pretty good.

16. jetophile

Hi, GREG. Me! It's opening this Friday! It was mentioned a few pages back. Welcome to my house of horrors! Mwahahaha!

[​IMG]

17. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I was at the world premier in Sept. In order to not spoil anything i will say i left satisfied. Keep in mind the original Halloween is my favorite movie ever. I can't decide if that makes me more forgiving or a harsher critic, probably a bit of both. Nonetheless, go see it and support horror.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Army of Darkness is one of the greatest movies of all time but calling it a horror movie is some stretch.

Fun fact, few seasons ago someone started a thread for folks to assign tag lines from movies to the Jets’ dismal season. I picked AOD:

“Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.”

It just works.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  19. jetophile

Ha, yes it works for sure. It's definitely Grand Guignol though so I feel it qualifies. More horror/comedy/sci-fi. That aside, I concur, it's a fun ride. Didn't they make a TV series about the Evil Dead with Campbell, too? I haven't seen it. My TV channel choices kind of suck and is way over-priced. It's a long boring story about why I'm sorta trapped with my arm behind my back. That's why I do a lot of pirating. I couldn't give two shits. I know, I know, it's hurting the artists/directors/actors etc., but I have so much resentment towards the greed of some of these companies I tend to lump it together sometimes even though I know that I shouldn't. Fck you Time Warner/Spectrum. It really is a doozy. Every time I see a Spectrum commercial I feel like sticking my foot through the TV.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

jetophile likes this.