Darnold's long ball...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 11, 2018.

1. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I liked Mayfield pre draft and Darnold a close second

They ARE the 2 best QBs drafted and thank the Lord we got Sam

As I have said previously they BOTH are headed for greatness

As for the Jets, Darnolds brilliance will outsmart his own CS

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The most important stat for any QB is touchdowns. Darnold had 3 today, likely the youngest QB in league history to throw for 3 TDs. Sanchez didn't have a game like that until year 2. The future is looking good.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's rookie seasons, they will all have ups and downs. allen had 1 good game but a rough 2 weeks after. mayfield shredded us but hasn't looked great since and had a rough outing yesterday against the ravens. darnold has had a couple games where he's made too many mistakes. rosen looked really good yesterday and even showed off some of his arm. his numbers weren't great but he led his team to their first win of the season

Red Menace and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I don't think rosen looked all that great yesterday personally.

6. GasedAndConfused

he had his ups and downs for sure but look what he did with that roster that bradford couldn't. he looked smart, made big throws i thought it was a good first start

Red Menace and JackBower like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

His supporting cast is trash. Mayfield is the only one with a decent supporting cast, so naturally he's looked a little sharper than Darnold and Rosen. Allen has looked the worst of the four. But it's still way too early to tell for any of these guys.

8. GasedAndConfused

funny enough, outside of mayfield i'd say darnold has the best supporting cast of the rookie QBs playing right now. the cards and bills are both awful at the skill positions and have bad o-lines.

9. HomeoftheJets

After this week's game I agree, but a week ago I would have said Darnold's teammates are as bad as Rosen and Allen's. It's very possible in a week from now I'll be back to saying the same thing.

10. GasedAndConfused

there is going to be ups and downs. out skill players are very underrated. it's really just the o-line that needs help. other than that mac has built up a very nice team. Darnold to robbie deep should be the theme of the jets for the next 5-6 years

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Double post

13. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I thought two of his best passes were both incompletions. One to Kearse in the endzone, and one to Enunwa in the endzone. If the players weren't held, they most likely come up with those balls which were both absolute dimes.

I like that we're taking a lot of shots.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

A QB looking away the defender at the NFL level is no easy accomplishment, either you have it or you don’t. Being able to set your feet fake the intent and then reset and throw a beautifully placed bomb, that’s what a good QB does.

Thanks for posting

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree that Mayfield has looked sharper than Darnold.

And I say this, not as one of those guys trying to hate on Mayfield because I like him and hope he has a good career. But he has had a little 'fool's gold" associated with his play. Even in the game where he came back to beat our Jets, he threw one right in Doug Middleton's hands in the end zone, it should've been an easy INT and a disasterous play and likely loss. But Middleton dropped it. Mayfield has had that kind of "luck" in his 2 and half games so far. It reminds me of Sanchez's early career.

Mayfield also has thrown quite a few passes off the mark that either his receivers hauled in or went incomplete that should've been easier to complete.

Darnold has made mistakes, of course. But they are catching his interceptions he's not getting lucky. His completions look better as well- - if that makes any sense?

Harpua and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. Red Menace

Bates is realizing Anderson can’t be stopped, he can only be contained. Credit to Bates for adjusting his scheme to prioritize Anderson as a target.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think it's too soon to say that. I hope you are right but Sunday's game the running game was completely dominant. It is easier to take shots downfield when you are running for 300+ yards and they have to move their safeties in.

It's entirely possible that the Bates/Darnold offense goes back to screens and dumpoffs when the running game aint working again.

18. Red Menace

I would hope that Bates uses the deep shots either way whether to pull safeties back to open up run game or to hit Anderson as a primary target.

Screens don’t really help pull safeties back from LOS, at least in my opinion.

I know they just want to get 3-5 yards like a running play, that still leaves the center of the field in a log jam with safeties and LBs.

I’m not against the screens I’m just not a believer that they should use so much of them.

19. HomeoftheJets

The problem is I've also seen a lot of Darnold passes that could've been picked that weren't. Where Mayfield's getting lucky is leading game-winning drives, which gets him a lot of media love but isn't sustainable.

20. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

You beat me to the Enunwa statement...i was thinking the same thing. Im stiil suprised the refs didn't call that.