I have to wonder if these games are fixed sometimes

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WarriorRB28, Oct 7, 2018.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm saying this not because of this just pointing out this is the latest example.

So I'm watching a bit of the Giants-Panthers game today it's 4th and 3 Panthers ball after a penalty against the Giants on 4th and 8. Panthers opt to not punt on 4th and 3 instead go for it on 4th down.

Cam Newton throws a pick on the play but because of a 'penalty' away from the the play the int. gets wiped out then because the Giants defender compkains about the call they tack on another 15 yards penalty!!!!!

So Carolina goes from a failed 4th down attempt to a gift first down with 15 extra yards on top!!! Theirplayers didn't have to make a play the refs moved the ball downfield for them. How is that not fixed?

Then on Carolina's 'gamewinning' drive McCaffrey clearly gets stop ped short of a first down on 3rd and 1 even onthe Fox telecast they thought he was short because they showed 4th and 1 on tv!!! Newton spiked the ball on fourth down!!! Well it wasn't because of another gift from the refs. No measurement no nothing.

I have to wonder. And I don't think this is just another example of the league going soft. With all the legalized betting going on now, fantasy football.

Who knows.

#1 WarriorRB28, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and Patriot like this.
  2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Had the game on mute and was confused when Newton spiked it. The 3rd down play looked short and the broadcast showed 4th & 1. I do agree some weird shit happened in that game.

3. WarriorRB28

Even players & coaches are beginning to openly question these calls.

No one close to the game will go where I'm going with it but I think ya have to wonder. Some of these calls (& some non-calls) are sooo bad, almost phantom penalties and they're affecting the outcome of games.

Legalized betting, fantasy football are the elephant in the room. I envision a Black Sox type scandal in the NFL's future.

ColoradoContrails and NYJFOREVER like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Can't fix a 63 yard field goal. Poor officiating for sure, though.

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

They got lucky. Calls like that happen... especially in favor of the Pats.

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I feel really bad for the Giants...

LMAO

jetophile and K'OB like this.
  7. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention fantasy football where a lot of money is placed also. It has been my observation over the years that the Home team always seem to get the most favorable calls. The NFL is a big business and it would be real stupid to fix games because of the financial penalty if its ever revealed. I'm not saying it is not possible, but what financial incentives would there be? I can see by giving the home team favorable officiating, you have happy NFL fans going home.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Home teams getting the calls is true in other sports also. That's arguably the biggest reason for home field advantage.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I always thought that crowd noise was the biggest factor. Especially in football.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

11. Are the nfl “fixing” games as in manipulating situations within the game to suit their agenda through officiating?Absolutely.There isnt any doubt.

Are the Nfl fixing game outcomes? No.But theyre starting to hover toward some gray area w. Things like that Panthers game & the persistence of the Patriots benefitting from officiating esp the roughing the passer calls against Brady.

12. WarriorRB28

I don't believe it'd be a leaguewide conspiracy. A few corrupt refs is all it would take.

These rules have just made it easier for them to get away with it/harder to detect when corruption occurs.

Other sports & leagues have been hit with corruption scandals in the past why would the NFL be immune?

What I do believe is a leaguewide 'conspiracy match fixing' is the offense vs defense matchup. With these rules, the way these games are called now it's almost becoming like wrestling where 'defenses' are only out there for show almost like a jabroni in wrestling. They're not supposed to win the good guys (the offenses) are supposed to win.

ColoradoContrails and Patriot like this.
  13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

There's no question that that is true, and it's clear from the numbers. The biggest home court/ice advantages are in indoor arenas where crowd noise can be overwhelming (hockey and basketball), the next biggest is in football where games are sometimes indoors, and even if they're not the stadium is an oval designed to surround the field with noise, and the smallest is in baseball, where many ballparks are open for large stretches of the outfield and there is relatively little crowd noise most of the time during a game. Other, less important, factors are familiarity with local conditions (more important in baseball and football than in basketball and hockey), travel effects (least important in football with the short season and only one game per week), and effects related to rule differences for the home team versus the road team (the home team getting the last change in hockey, which does make a difference, and last licks in baseball, which actually doesn't seem to matter).

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I like anyone else love to see a great offensive play. However, when it becomes to easy to have a good offensive play, it takes away from the enjoyment of one. I sometimes wonder if fantasy football is to blame for the league's desire to make it such an offensive game.

Some people would argue it is for safety, but what is being done to protect the safety of defensive players?

I must also admit, perhaps because I am becoming an old fart, I prefer the NFL game of the past. Watching how QBs would barely survive a game gave the game more of a gladiator entertainment. When a receiver would take a vicious hit and still hold on to the ball meant something. Once in awhile seeing a QB take a vicious hit was great. Ok I must admit perhaps I am not considering the health and welfare of the players. But why should I? They make more money than any of us, should it not come with peril as a result?

15. WarriorRB28

I think they've been trying to recreate The Greatest Show on Turf (the best offense in the history of the game IMO) on a leaguewide scale.

But what made that offense so great was that they did what they did back when defenses were still allowed to play defense the way it's meant to be played AND they had a truly great RB to balance out that offense and they were commited to running the ball.

None of these Os that have come after have had that. They're like cheap imitations.

Next we'll be reading how we're witnessing a QB golden age. Mahommes is the best thing since sliced bread.:rolleyes:

I too much prefer the way it used to be.

16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of what we see is protection of key money making aspects of the game. Casual fans, fantasy fans, gamblers don't want to see low scoring games. That's boring to them.

Brady doesn't get more calls to help the Patriots win. Him and other elite QBs get those calls to protect the biggest names in the game. If we let QBs get sacked hard and WRs get murdered on crossing routes, scores would plummet and the product on the field wouldn't be worth as much.

Also, Patriots bandwagoners would stop watching if they didn't get double digit wins every season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I don't think it's "fixed" in a classic sense, but anyone not seeing Watermelon Head "don't touch me!" Peyton Manning getting career favorable calls was watching TV in Braille. Ditto Shady Brady.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I didn't see this thread until now, but I've contended for a long time that the NFL absolutely "fixes" the games to give their favorite teams - read: revenue enhancing - an edge. I don't think they mandate outcomes, but they definitely instruct the refs to "manage" the games to make sure that games remain competitive, and wherever possible give their favorite teams every chance to win. Exhibit A is the Pats-Falcon SB. I told my wife at half time: "Watch. The Patriots will come back and if not win make it close with help from the refs". And what happened? This goes along with so many other examples where Manning or Favre, or Elway, won "impossible" games.

In all reality, the NFL is a video game played with real people, and the NFL has the controllers.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Said in the other thread..0 penalties on the Patriots last night.Unheard of..except for the LAST big game the patriots played in;The Afc championship game against the Jaguars which also included an absolutely perposterous PI call on the Jags to help the cause.

Is the NFL conpetition commitee prepared to tell us that the patriots played absolutely perfect,penalty free w.o a single holding,illlegal contact, offensive PI or the like for both those huge games?

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So all the officials actually make millions of dollars every year? That's the only way they could be kept quiet. Well, that or a hit squad.