#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

For what it's worth you also have a choice to stop... that being said I enjoy reading you two bicker so please carry on.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Responding and stalking another is not the same thing. Yes I can stop but seeing how many times he'll keep coming back is enjoyable. He is dedicated to getting his message through ;)

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I moved out to Arizona about 6 years ago. I became a season ticket holder. That D had a terrific CB in Peterson and a bunch of ordinary guys. I saw Bowles make half time adjustments week after week that kept the opposition off the board. He was smart, creative and calm. He's D was passionate and aggressive. They weren't great but they were effective with mediocre personal that changed every year.

He has a great pedigree, he came up through the ranks with numerous teams. He coached on a lot of bad teams, so bad he was named interim head coach twice. He did a good job everywhere. He is one of the most respected guys in the league. He was named the AP assistant coach of the year with Arizona. He was on track to take over for Arians when the Jets took him. He was respected by the players and Arians loved him. He's demeanor was completely unflappable.

The new CBA which was passed in 2011 has hamstrung coaches. It limited 2 a days and contact practices in both training camp and during the season. It also changed the salary structure radically. It's virtually impossible to hang on to a large group of good players into a second contract. Now that Seattle hasn't had the two best drafts in decades Pete Carroll is exposed as a guy who can't control his team on the field. He actually has an elite QB. If you don't have an elite QB tied up it's extremely hard to maintain any continuity and leadership on the O side of the ball. If you vastly over pay them and concentrate the cap on a few players you have a large turnover of plug and play guys every year. You absolutely have to draft well and be prepared to develop players while limited by the CBA, many of them with 1 or 2 years of college football to play immediately. You also have to be prepared to unload top players for picks before their first contract expires. There are a ton of moving parts for head coaches and GM's now that didn't exist before 2011.

Herm took over 2 programs, the Jets and KC. Both had solid winning veterans from a previous regime. He ran both into the ground. Rex took over a team that Tannenbaum had busted the bank for. He had a 2 year run that was set up with contracts with top veterans. He had a great OL and D and couldn't get the best team in football without an elite QB over the hump. The contracts to build that team along with the mistake of moving up to take Sanchez set the team back for years with dead cap money. Not surprisingly he never had a winning season in the post CBA era.

It's a different era. All the things most people don't like about Bowles is based on his demeanor. Weeb Ewbank was cool as a cucumber on the sidelines. Very unemotional. He wasn't ham strung with a cap or rules about practice. This team has had 3 good HC. Weeb, Michaels and Parcells. Michaels unfortunately lost his mind to a Shula Jedi-mind trick.

The Jets have a QB, the entire organization is on a different path right now. How many Head coaches actually have post season success? The Packers have won 1 SB in the Rodgers era. Baltimore is ready to move on from Harbaugh and moved on from their last SB winning head coach. Payton Manning played on loads of playoff teams and won 2 SB. Drew Brees 1. These guys played for good HC but even they were lucky to get one. Peter Carroll had 2 of the best drafts in post CBA history and has an elite QB. He completely lost control of his team on the field twice last year and he's on track to be fired after this season. Bowles hasn't had anywhere close to the veteran talent that either Herm or Rex had. BB has an underpaid QB that has been either 1 or 2 for his entire career in NE. By the way having the Pats in your division is a huge obstacle to every head coach in the division.

The thing SB winning head coaches have are SB quality teams. We have a 21 year old QB. Show some patience. Bowles is developing some good young players and they play hard for him.

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

@Biggs, that's a great post. I'm sure many will not agree with your views, I remain to be convinced on some points, but it is as a well constructed pro-Bowles argument as I've seen at this point.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. LF911SC

Well done!

Youre right, most of the dissatisfaction with Bowles is based on the perception that he is emotionless and the imagined benefit of him showing more emotion on the sideline. Professional players dont need their HC to jump around like Gruden or to complain, moan and groan like others. Funny part is we had that with Rex for example and when he didnt win he was a buffoon, we needed someone less crazed. Now the opposite. The key part is no one sees Bowles at practices and in the locker room. We dont really get the real picture of what hes like. Has to be a lot different that the perception. For example everyone says hes a disciplinarian, we never see it. Ray Lucas who played under him in Miami says hes a hard ass, dont see that either. All I know is the team respects him, dont want him gone, play hard and generally prepared for the opponent.

I say it all the time, the Jets won 10 games when no one thought they would with their back up, journeyman QB behind center and won 5 a year ago with a roster that was said by most to be a historically bad offense and team. We need to see what he can do with talent that can win on its own to judge him

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

his demeanor is only annoying when they are losing. if he would win, I don't care that he is a mute...

but he doesn't win

Ralebird and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. LF911SC

Except he has, which proves he can. You just wont admit that.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

To me his demeanor is perfect for this team. Doesn't get too high or too low. Doesn't panic, and whatever he truly feels, he doesn't overreact, he digests the tape and talks to the players without the cameras beamed on him. He doesn't throw anyone under the bus (hello Gruden to Derek Carr).

Thats how you coach in today's NFL.

9. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

@ Biggs. I forgot to quote you.

Wow .. that was well thought out and a pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing your views on the matter Biggs.

BTW - Bullitt is one of my all time favorite movies... Greatest car case scene ever put on film.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. LF911SC

Steve McQueen was the coolest of them all. He had a presence on the screen thats hard to match.

MoWilkBeast and Axel574 like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

@Biggs - I don't agree entirely with your post - or your other posts usually - but I do respect the sound reasoning and perspective. It remains to be seen if Bowles has been "hamstrung" by factors outside his control or by his own limitations. Hopefully he overcomes them regardless of their source.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

He has? lol...

losing record, no playoff appearances, no division titles, forget championships.... lets see, what do the facts say about winning

13. BrowningNagle

I agree, but again, he doesn't win. I would like someone with an even keel that actually wins football games

14. LF911SC

And if we lived in a vacuum, a world where you can come up with a HC who would have achieved any of these things a year ago, or a division title or championship in year one you'd have made a great point. But the arguement is ridiculous given all that is needed besides coaching to achieve these. And to dump them all on the HC because some cant get it through there heads or because its so much easier to blame one person than a group of players is too bad

15. BrowningNagle

I don't have to "live in a vacuum." Each year 6 of the 16 AFC teams will make the playoffs. That happens every year. Sometimes they are 1st year coaches. Todd Bowles hasn't done that yet.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. I dont care if hes a catatonic on the sideline..have some sense of clock management,replay management & dont punt down 2 scores w 4 minutes left when your D cant stop anybody!

17. LF911SC

You sure as shit live in a vacuum if you judge a HC solely on wins and losses without taking the roster into account. Yes, you are living in a vacuum. You continue in this post making the same mistake

18. BrowningNagle

No, I'm not saying that at all. The roster has a lot to do with wins and losses. A good coach develops players on that roster and hides weaknesses. Bowles hasn't done that either

19. BrowningNagle

He's a 1980s style in-game coach trying to win games in 2018. his risk management has been atrocious

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Coaching can only carry a team so far, you cannot hide every deficiency. When it comes to winning what are you expecting when you trout out McCown and Fitzpatrick? They are career losers that lose games for their team. Right now, I see the core players developing the past 8 or so games (Darnold not included as he only played 1 game). Bowles has this team on the right track. I mentioned before, last year it's hard for a young inexperienced team to win games. The wins are coming and the team is growing. Gotta have patience, if things weren't progressing I would be in the same boat as you, but I see the arrow pointing up.

Lee is getting better, Adams is getting better, I really like the young corner in Nickerson. There's a lot to like right now. Just have to stay the course and trust the coaching staff. Adams says this all of the time, if Adams believes in Bowles then so do I. Bowles is improving as well right before our very eyes.

BrowningNagle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.