Week 1: New York Jets @ Detroit Lions (MNF)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

When you consider how many times Darnold was asked to throw the ball, what he did with the opportunities was incredibly impressive. If the game had stayed competitive, his stat line might well have read 300/3/1. I don’t think I’ve been this excited about the teams potential (albeit in a different way this season) since we were coming off the AFCCG loss to Denver.

Jets_Grinch, nicg4360 and Cman68 like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This bolded part has me thinking... can a brotha get a name change? I need to rid myself of the bad Mo Wilkerson juju. The future looks way way way too bright to be reminded of that guy every time I log on.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

Well, I feel kinda torn. On the one hand, we looked really good. On the other hand, Detroit looked like a castle made out of domino pieces that just needed a touch to completely cave in. What was the bigger factor in the result? Our OL looked great, Darnold had loads of time and barely got touched. Darnold was good too. I don't know, I feel optimistic but I won't make any final judgments about the potential worth of this team until we have more tough games under our belt, like the Jags and Vikings.

4. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I totally understand this feeling. It's the "Jets Fan Factor", kind of like, we know that good times are fleeting for this franchise. We have a hard time just accepting that good times are ahead and are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Just enjoy it week by week and hope the ride lasts for the next 15-18 years

Rivers23 likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

How about just enjoy the fine win and worry about the next result after that comes in, it is a simple life really :cool:

#205 K'OB, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    TrojanPride, mrjet80 and Cman68 like this.
  6. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I'll leave the in depth analysis to others and simply channel Comic Book Guy...Best. Opener. Ever.

themorey and mrjet80 like this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think Darnold showed enough potential to justify everybody's excitement. Does this one game put him in the HOF ? No. But it does excite me as to the potential wonderful future that awaits over the next decade.

As far as future games this season I think Darnold's continued development is more important than the final scores at least for this season. Everybody needs to remember this was just one game and Darnold will have a couple of clunkers.

I suggest just enjoy the ride for the time being......

NCJetsfan and Rivers23 like this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I don't know your age but if you were around the 1997 opener was just as exciting as this one - except it was the new coach ( Parcells ) that held our excitement rather than the QB.

donkey, Cman68 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

All of us older Jets Fans know how quickly things like this can turn. Enjoy the ride and take the season one game at a time. Pray for the best but always be prepared for the worst. I think our luck has finally changed but the true test of that will come after this season plays out.

DrM, donkey, Harpua and 3 others like this.
  10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I'm old enough, been riding this train wreck since '82...But back in '97 I didn't have access to the NFL so had to wait until I saw the result. Now I have every game live, this site, the internet gives me access to the draft and so on, I feel much closer to every victory and defeat. I'm gonna enjoy this week... worry about Sunday then. :)

Cidusii and Cman68 like this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Reading a bit more into the Lions situation, it’s seems that players were pretty frustrated with how hard Patricia worked them in the offseason. There were concerns that the tank would be empty at the start of the season. Looks like that wasn’t to far off base. Dude might already be on the hot seat if they’re losing and he never even had the locker room.

Certainly makes one feel better about the way the Jets have positioned themselves.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I thought this was really cool. I was watching a highlight video of Darnold and at the very end of the game after Darnold took a final knee, the ref extended his hand to shake Darnolds.

Don't know if that is common amongst all QBs, but it was cool to see. Almost as if the ref was showing his respect for him after that performance. Caught Darnold by surprise also. He was turning to head to the sideline when the ref extended his hand:

[​IMG]

stinkyB, Cman68, westiedog1 and 3 others like this.
  13. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying the win....defi definitely. I just don't understand these fans and analysts stating that it was an average performance stat wise with the 198 yards and 2 TDs and his INT. It just blows my mind really because they never add that it was his first NFL game.....EVER....and maybe they could be reminded he's the youngest QB to start in the modern football era.

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Good observation! I had never seen that before. Ref knew he had witnessed something special.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If a ref shook hands with an opponent this forum would be ranting that the league is out to get us.

Ralebird and thedonger like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Caption this picture:

[​IMG]

17. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

And how many short fields did the Jets work with with all the turnovers and great punt returns. No QB could have gotten more yards.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

And that yardage total produced plenty of first downs. If I recall he was clutch on 3rd most of the game. Even ran for one.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

last time i felt this good after a win was when we beat the Pats in the playoffs - part of me just wants the season to end now so I can savour the feeling of being positive about the jets which is a very rare thing

K'OB likes this.
  20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Bump for closest to the pin. Nicely done.

Big Cat likes this.