Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

We'll see what Rob Manfred's made of. If he's got a spine, he'll do what Pete Rozelle did with George Young with the Giants back in the late 1970s. He'll force the Wilpons to hire a competent GM - he may even pick that GM - and force the Wilpons to let the GM do his job. Unfortunately, I don't think Manfred has the kind of spine to take drastic actions against Fred Wilpon, who's a member of the MLB Old Boys' Club. Manfred's too busy trying to outlaw defensive shifts to try to fix the Mets. Left to their own devices, the Wilpons - especially the idiot son - will continue to descend into James Dolan territory. It's sad because New York baseball is so much better when both the Yankees and Mets are contenders.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It takes a special kind of incompetencevto have two of the best pitchers in baseball and still be absolutely awful. At least they had the sense not to trade any of them but it won’t mean anything if they don’t invest in support for them.

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I sang that song for years having no idea what it meant until my older brother told me. Lol.

joe likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

They are assuming they have 2 big draws a week and they’ll be satisfied with that.

Sickens me.

That’s ok, haven’t been to one game this year and haven’t even flipped on a game since May.

Thank God for Darnold.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The only thing the Wilpons understand is money. If Citi Field is empty for the rest of the year, the message might get through. If they continue to bleed cash into 2019, they'll eventually have to sell. The only way to get rid of the Wilpons is to cut off the cash flow.

6. Since1969

Sure. At various times, angry fans have said the same thing about the Knicks and, yes, the Jets, but they never seem to do it, at least not enough to really hurt the owners in the pocketbook. I wonder how much of a team's revenue comes from attendance, and if slashing that revenue is enough to really hurt the owners.

7. Since1969

Besides, you should be very careful what you wish for. If the Wilpons sell, Dolan might buy the team, and then you'd be waxing poetic about the good ol' days when Fred and Jeff were running the show. LOL.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Cman68

Which to me proves that P.T. Barnum was a genius. As long as the suckers keep buying the tickets, the concessions and the swag, the Wilpons will continue to sucker their fans into thinking this team will ever be competitive.

9. Rollo Tomassi

It's too bad, love CitiField.

It just sickens me--we were on top of the world for about 15 minutes where we were owning NY like back in the late 80s.

And seemingly in the blink of an eye it's all gone.

10. Cman68

Such is the way of things.. As the old song used to go; "That's Life!"

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The worst thing you can be in baseball is a cheap owner; you have to spend to be succesful,there is no way around that. That’s the opposite of basketball where you can’t spend your way to success. And at least Dolan isn’t cheap. I’d take him over the Wilpons any day.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Reyes became the first player in major league history today to give up two home runs as a pitcher in a game and then hit two home runs as a batter in the next game. Woo hoo!

mute likes this.
  13. Since1969

That sounds like one of those stats Michael Kay constantly rattles off during Yankee broadcasts: Aaron Judge has just set a major-league record for opposite-field home runs hit by a right-hander on odd-numbered Tuesdays in a non-leap year.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  14. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I thought last night's performance was only possible in video games.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Can they go back in time and spread out all the runs the past few days into DeGrom's starts? :confused:

16. statjeff22

Lose by 21 runs, win by 20 runs within a couple of weeks. Can't recall seeing that before.

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

What do you know? I never peeked in here before.

Being a Shea-rat from the 70's, I too root for the Mets. Like most of you, I'd like to resurrect Nelson Doubleday in order to return this franchise to be an actual big market competitive baseball team. It's been so sad that our current ownership didn't try to build on our surprise success that was 2015.

So, that's my opening statement. Now I'll stay on-topic.;)

18. statjeff22

Hate to quote myself, but apparently the Mets are the first team in the modern era (since 1900) to both score 20 runs in a game and give up 20 runs in a game in the same season, so obviously no team has ever lost and won games by more than 20 runs within a a couple of weeks before!

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A SEASON THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY!!!

20. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Nice to see my threads still going.

This season is only positive because we have finally released MacNeill from his AAA confinement and we will see Jake win the Cy .

Watch out for Giminez and Dunn in AA , GIminez will see Amed have to move positions as he is twice the player Amed is. Kids a superstar ...amazing what he is doing at Bingo for his age. Will be top 5 prospect in all Milb

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.