Baker Mayfields career

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Apr 26, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Lol

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

dude I read a little of your sour grapes. its obvious you just looked at the box score this morning. here's a link to every throw he made. I would advise you to watch that as it provides better insight than your dumb "he was 11 of 20" nonsense.

give the man credit. He was very good, especially for a rookie in his 1st preseason game. The 1st touchdown throw, Njoku was like his 3 or 4th read. the 2nd touchdown throw was a perfectly placed bullet. Your assertion that it was all Calloway is obviously bullshit as I'm seeing completions to several different guys and even a couple drops from Calloway which would've made his almighty completion percentage look better.

what gives anyway? who cares if Mayfield is a good quarterback? We have to tear him down so we feel better about ourselves or something? If him and Darnold are both good, that's great

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Did he though?

1st preseason game so yeah not gonna lynch the dude by any means. but i mean really watch the film.

1st off it's preseason 1st game so lots of scrubs playing and not only that but running very plain defenses as well. nothing to really trick QBs like you'll see in the regular season. Giants D was ranked 31st last season even with starters and got a little worse. no JPP, no DRC this season. lost their 2nd best CB and best pass rusher. with that said

1st pass, dud overthrown
    2nd pass, nicely done. back shoulder throw. good timing route
    3rd pass, WR screen, throw is high but WR should have made the catch. still easy throw to make
    4th pass, good job stepping up in the pocket. throws it low. WR makes a great grab diving for it but should have been an easy pitch and catch and got more YAC
    5th pass, overthrow on a set destination. incomplete
    next play, good job buying time and scrambling for a 1st on 3rd and 6. credit where it's due
    6th pass, doens't slide in the pocket. gets hit when throwing, underthrown. not a big deal for a rookie. more blame on the o-line. needs to get the ball out quicker though
    next play, 4th and 2, good job scrambling and getting the first with his legs. credit where it's due
    7th pass, 1st good throw i seen him make all game. goes up high to the back of the endzone to let his TE make a play and njoku comes down with the ball. little behind him but w/e shoes good trust in his targets and the throw was in a good spot. credit where it's due
    8th pass, on a 2pt conversion attempt. poor throw on a quick slant. incomplete failed conversion
    9th pass, good job buying time but again throw in the ground. WR makes a great diving catch for the 1st but again cost them YAC
    10th pass, fires wide way out of bounds missing an open target. incomplete
    11th pass, throws it away doens't see anybody open. but there was a wide open WR to the side he threw he just didn't see it. poor vision
    12th pass, way behind the WR on a drag route. DB breaks it up easily. poor throw
    13th pass, easy WR bubule screen. completed for 9 yards on 2nd and 11. good play call
    14th pass, rolls out of the pocket fires a nice sideline pass downfield. WR couldn't get both feet in but still a nice pass on the run. credit where it's due
    15th pass, Wide open WR over the middle. fires behind him. WR makes the catch but falls down. again poor ball placement costing them YAC
    16th pass, tries back shoulder again. good enough pass but DB doens't fall for it and knocks it away. good pass but betetr play by the DB
    17th pass, simple easy pass 3 yards to RB wide open
    next play 4th and 1 QB sneak for a 1st
    18th pass, buys time, rolls out, fires way too wide. safe throw but not a complete-able ball
    19th pass, little dump off to the TE
    20th pass, another WR screen
    21st pass, nice throw on a 5 yard slant. WR breaks free and takes it 40 yards for the TD

(note 21 passes because the 2 pt conversion pass doens't count against his stat line so stat line shows 20 passes)

final stats 11/20 55% 212 yards 2TDs 0 INTs in a little over 3 quarters
    taylor came in to replace him after that TD. went 5/5 for 99 yards 1TD 0 INT in less than 1 quarter.

Overall pretty much same QB as college baker as expected. made a few nice throws but mostly a lot of misses and missed opporunites. made a couple of nice plays with his legs but accuracy is an issue as is vision. hardly anything worth praising the kid over. petty had better games in preseason. geno had a perfect game in regular season. both were shit QBs. but again it's his 1st game and not indicative of his career. won't start judging him until the 2019 season

LF911SC likes this.
  4. LF911SC

Sour grapes? Lol really, because I watched with my eyes, not with a lump in my pants? 11 of 20 is dumb? I guess it's the same as OSU numbers. That was dumb. As was thinking I said a word about Calloway.

Njoku was the 4th read? And it was a bullet threaded into deep coverage, I've heard that too. Might want to rewatch that bullet. Or ask, why in the F is Njoku playing against backups?

I gave him credit, he was ok. Was he better than that? He made a handful of decent throws. Not a lot. No darts into tight windows. More than a few that were off the mark that should have been easy completions. You want to call that dumb, want to call it sour grapes? Sorry it is what it is. As you said, a rookie, he was ok, don't know why you have a problem with it and want to continue pushing the Baker is the Bestest narrative long after hes became a Brown.

#144 LF911SC, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. BrowningNagle

If Darnold does anything close to what Mayfield did last night I will be quite excited. I don’t think you would say he just did “ok” and then lob some weak criticism like this.

6. LF911SC

Now WTF does Darnold have to do with how Mayfield,played last night?

Tell me how my criticism and others like SGBs evaluation is weak? He listed every pass. He gives him credit for a nice back shoulder pass that I saw as a underthrown pass given that you never throw a back shoulder pass to the inside. But please, tell us why the review is weak.

#146 LF911SC, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It was already pointed out that he was in fact recruited by a few colleges, but then you come back with another head scratcher.
    Atlanta had a top 10 D last season and they have made some nice additions in the off season. I'd like to hear the reasoning for your statement, if only to laugh at it. I see them being top 10 again and probably top 5.

101GangGreen101 and LF911SC like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

you are trying to take credit for someone else's review now?

9. LF911SC

I took credit for nothing, I asked how my and his evaluations were wrong or more precisely, weak. I also said he mapped out each pass. How's that taking credit?

I asked you to tell me where I'm wrong, exactly where it was weak. This is your answer?

10. BrowningNagle

well I already told you how yours were weak. then you started in on asking me about his for some reason

11. LF911SC

You came with not one single reason why mine was weak or wrong. You're spinning it now. You are so hell bent on defending him that instead of giving a reason your thinking was to insult me and call me dumb. I'm being nice because I'm amuse by the amount of flailing you're doing for a guy who's not on out team. Why don't you just go root for Baker and the Browns instead of insulting people

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

> reasonining
    > NYJetsO12

Pick one.

The Waterboy and LF911SC like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

you could reply to my breakdown of all his plays as well?

and yes i will be just as hard on darnold (not really hard but fair) as i am with mayfield but again really not going to judge either of them in 2018. way too soon. unless one blows it up and plays amazing. I expect both to struggle as rookies as 99% of rookie QBs do. even peyton manning threw 28 INTs as a rookie and under 57% completions and turned out to be a top 3 QB of all time. so rookie seasons are more about learning anyway

LF911SC likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

it should have been a bit more outside but still a nice throw from the pocket. not gonna be super picky. also depends on the DBs position in relation to the WR. sometimes you want to throw it inside id the DB plays out to push him in towards safety help

LF911SC likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He showed good footwork , awarness, kept plays alive, made some very good passes, picked up the first down on rth and 2, had a TD dropped along with a few otheelong passes dropped.
    First game for a rookie. He looked very good.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

I'm guessing you didn't watch the game. Taylor started, played 2 series. Did not come in and replace him.
    For what it's worth Mayfield had a 142.3 passer rating on throws that he was kept clean, the O line was awful.
    Kid showed what you want to see from a rookie QB making his first start. Promise, potential.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

no i didn't. i just watched the mayfield video.
    and lol useless stat sorry but NFL QBs don't get a clean pocket often. anyone can complete throws with no pressure. might as well state his rating in throwing drills. I didn't see any promise i seen the same flaws that won't get better over time.

LF911SC likes this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

I figured you didn't watch the game....

19. GasedAndConfused

and your point is? never said i did lol doens't change the point his throws were mostly lacking. I seen all the same plays u did. just not in real time

LF911SC likes this.
  20. LF911SC

Could be, at the time I thought he might have under thrown it, should give him the benefit of the doubt.