Oh Well Mack Headed to the Bears

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 8, 2018.

?

What would you give up in a trade for Khalil Mack?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2020's 2nd and 3rd round picks

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Package of players - please be specific

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Package of players and draft picks - please be specific

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wouldn't trade for him

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Gruden loves veterans and Powell would give him a much needed boost on offense. Not much proven talent outside of Lynch. Give Carr a nice passing option out of the backfield. RBs are a dime a dozen. Don't sleep on Isaiah Crowell, violent runner with a nose for the EZ. Jets got Crow, Cannon and they can perhaps sign someone else until McGuire is ready.

Why trade Lee when in reality you don't need to? Lee has a lot of potential, and in time I think he can develop into a really good 3 down linebacker that can blitz and get to the QB on occasion.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

OK, Im not being a dick here, I really want to understand your thinking. In this post here are you saying that you would actually think for one second about trading Powell in some sort of package for Mack?

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

1. My last post of Mack + Bell is just a pipe dream (more like a Madden like fantasy of mine).

But I've thought long and I've thought hard about it.

And I'm all in favor of the trade for and then the signing of Khalil Mack, long term.

How can I say no to Khalil Mack?

How can anyone?

Especially within our own Jets fan base.

How can we?

This NYJ fan base has literally been starved an edge rusher / dominant outside pass rushing star dating back to 2005: The Last Year of John Abraham.

13 years and counting.

Hard to believe it's now been 18 years since J.Abe #94 was drafted a Jet (2000).

Well.

I'm tired of waiting for our next John Abraham to just magically or luckily appear and arrive.

And as a fan I'm ready to see my GM snatch and take.

Or having to root for an extremely talented defense... Only for them to not be able to get to the QB. So frustrating to see QB's carve us apart because of it.

Well.

We're Khalil Mack away from ending this pass rushing drought of 13 years.

He's currently holding out. Make it happen Macc; go for the kill.

With an additional 80M+ in available salary cap space (even after the paying of Khaki Mack long term) imo, this one is a no brainier.

(just to name a few)

Lawrence Taylor.
    Bruce Smith.
    Reggie White.
    Kevin Greene (WOW.).
    Derrick Thomas.
    Warren Sapp.
    John Randle.
    Jason Taylor.
    Michael Strahan.

That's when football was Football to me.

Those men were my generations QB killers.

Me being born in 1985 throughout elementary & middle school and into High School, those were the legendary OLB's/DE's/DT's/QB killing pass rushers we speak of today.

Those were the classmates jerseys you'd seen around you.

Those guys were the types of Legendary OLB/DE/DT monster's that my generation dreamed to have in Green & White throughout our childhood days.

How could anyone back then (or now) say no to those types of legendary pass rushers?

Especially while they were all still within their 20's at the age of 27-28?

How could you say no back then?

• Khalil Mack.

• At this rate.

• He's going to one day fit that mold.

✓ And he's going to be mentioned alongside the likes of some of the All-Time greats.

Although on the opposite side of the spectrum me being a Defensive nut as i got older i also loved me some DeMarcus Ware, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Terrell Suggs, Jared Allen & a young Mario Williams.

And I'm tired of not having one (can't forget Willie McGinest come playoffs either) .

Mack becoming a Jet would become Darrelle Revis 2009/2010 type exciting with an A++ potential payout.

Khalil Mack instantly turns our defense into a title contender.

Over night.

Jamal Adams (like Khalil Mack of 2014) is coming off an All-Rookie campaign. Just imagine.

Khalil Mack automatically makes both of Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye better.

Forget about it.

Mack turns both of Adams & Maye into sure fire future All-Pro's while our Safeties both roam the outfield and play within the box behind a vicious front seven being led by freaking Leonard Williams & Khalil Mack.

Incredible.

Now just imagine how great both of our true #1 CB's on the outside in Trumaine Johnson & Morris Claiborne both look as coverage CB's while playing behind a ferocious Gang-Green Pass Rush being led by Mack and Leonard?

And with SAFETY HELP from either of Jamal Adams and/or Marcus Maye too?

Good lord.

Talk about an I-N-T and/or Pick-6 City.

In closing...

You give Todd Bowles and this current Jets defense Khalil Mack?

An NFL All-Rookie out the gates (2014).

A 3x Pro-Bowler (2015-2016-2017).

Another 2x NFL First-Team All Pro (2015-2016).

A Dick Butkus (NFL) award winner (2016).

Not to mention a former (and still contending) NFL Defensive Player of the Year award winner back in only 2016?

And he then completes our dreams of creating a SB contending defense.

Sam Darnold and our Jets offense can score 17-20 ppg?

With that type of Defense?

Um.

Our Jets then become instant SB contenders.

There is nothing left for our fan base to fear. We've seen it all. We're playing with house money. We haven't been back to the Super Bowl, not even for a single appearance, since dating back to 1969. I wasn't born until 1985. Which obviously means I wasn't even alive while Joe Namath was out there making predictions on Broadway.

• An NFL Franchise QB.
    • A Dominant NFL Defense.

And there's your recipe for NFL titles.

It's not rocket science.

But yet the Jets always manage to get it all wrong.

✓ Make it happen Mike Maccagnan.

✓ Cut the check Chris Johnson.

✓Bring Khali Mack to NYJ and make our Pass Rush great again.

✓ Go & celebrate with joy coach Todd Bowles.

#143 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    egelband likes this.
  4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

T. Johnson is under contract threw 2022, Williams is up for contract 2020, May up for contract 2021, Adams 2022, Anderson 2019, Darnold 2023

By the time we have to shell out contracts for these home grown players the pay scale will be much increased. Example a good WR will easily get 13m,
    Sam will probably get around 36m+ in 5 years if he lives up to his potential.
    Basicly i am saying we need to be smart with our $$ so we can take care of our home grown players. Bell wants 16m for 5 years fully guaranteed at age 27-28 . That to me is not good cap management.

GasedAndConfused and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They can pay him. They have over $45 million next season and over $114 million in cap space in 2020. Not strapped in any way.

6. TonyFtLaud

This is quickly turning into the Kirk Cousins thread.
    The cost of Mac is growing, First round pick plus any starter, first round pick plus a package of players, " first round pick for years".
    I'll throw it out there. Mac will pay him over $150 million for 3 years fully GUARANTEED.......:p

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

Sorry, just posted something similar, didn't see this.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Can the Jets trade for Khalil Mack?

The answer to this thread title is...

YES.

Just type both of "Jets" and Khalil Mack's name into Google. And see what all pops up.

This is now a headline. This story is catching fire. This is now a real thing.

#MackToTheJets.
    #KeepHoldingOutKid.
    #RaidersWillCollapse .

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No problem. Asking questions for clarification is always welcome as far as I'm concerned. I know that I sometimes get in too much of a hurry to respond or am rushed for time when responding, and aren't always as clear or thoughtful as I'd like to be.

No, I wouldn't even consider trading Powell. I was responding to 101 who said that he would trade Powell. I wouldn't trade Powell. Not only is he one of my favorite Jets, but I think that he's our best RB and is needed for whomever our starting QB is.

I would trade Lee, however. Is that

10. NCJetsfan

I totally understand your excitement. The thought of adding Mack to our D excites me. That said, one does need to consider the price. We already have Darnold and we need to protect him. As much as we need an edge rusher, we need a stud LT to protect Darnold's blind side even more. As someone else already posted, what good will it do to have Mack on our D, if Darnold is on the DL and not on the field? That first round pick in 2019 is more than likely going to have to be used on our future LT. To get a great LT prospect, one generally has to take them in the top 10-15 picks.

Please understand...I've been screaming for a stud edge rusher even before John Abraham was drafted. I've also been screaming for a stud QB for that long, and that we potentially have him, we have to protect him. Adding a stud edge rusher would be a luxury if we can't protect our QB. Great LTs are not usually available in FA unless they're at the end of their careers or have off field problems. Mac isn't going to be able to solve our LT position long term in FA. He's going to have to draft our next LT. We could trade for Mack and get very lucky in the 3rd round of the 2019 draft or Antonio Garcia could pan out, but I sure wouldn't want to rely on that to protect Darnold.

The difficulty in finding a topflight 3-4 OLB pass rusher is precisely why I want to transition to a traditional 4-3 D or maybe the Tampa Bay version of the 4-3.

11. jonnyd

thanks. so you wouldnt trade a 30 year old average running back as part of a package for one of the premier pass rushing LBs in the NFL? I mean how can this be serious? I htink youre just trying ot be controversial

fdcnyc and GasedAndConfused like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

No, I'm not trying to be controversial. I gave very clear and rational answers as to why I wouldn't consider trading Powell. Powell has been one of the few reliable offensive weapons that we've had over the last 2-3 years. He doesn't seem to have lost any of his speed or quickness and he is an excellent receiver as well as runner. Regardless of who our starting QB is, he is going to need a rushing attack and some weapons around him. I'm sick of the offense getting the short end of the stick and all the draft picks and money going to the D. The object is to improve your team in one area without weakening it in another. Trading Powell would leave us with Crowell and Cannon at RB. Rawls sucks. Who knows what McGuire will be like when he comes back. Further, since the Raiders have Marshawn Lynch (32), Doug Martin (29) and Jalen Richard (24), why would they want Powell? It might be one thing if Powell was only 24. It might also be another if Powell played CB, DT or S (Raiders' weaknesses/needs), but he doesn't.

I thought you weren't trying to be a dick. You now sound like you're being a dick. We obviously see things differently. That's ok. No one said that we had to agree. I'll also bet that we're at least 20 years apart in age. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

OK, but I don't totally buy into the Purcell BS. The Raiders did get a guy of that very caliber with the #1 pick. They just can't keep him. I really think we need to hit the jackpot with our #1 pick in 2019, be it OL or OLB. Hard for me to let go of it and a bunch more for Mack.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. jonnyd

dude, I promise Im not trying to be a dick..I dont have internet fights and Ive been on this board a long time and have no desire to pretend fight :)....we'll agree to disagree.....by the way Im 46....im assuming youre in your 20s

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

NCJetsFan.

Saying NO to Kalil Mack in favor of Bilal Powell...ls almost the same as saying NO to Aaron Rodgers in favor of Teddy Bridgewater.

Wake me up when Powell has Offensive MVP ability.

There is no comparison man.

#155 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

You can find the same headline with about 20 other teams name too. Check bills, browns, dolphins,broncos,49s, falcons,bears , Patriots, Packers, lions, Seahawks, etc.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Khalil Mack can be had, Jets should do well to trade for him - even if that costs them 2 1's.

Think about it. Sam position is already filled. I am more than certain that Jordan Jenkins and Mauldin are capable of that role just fine.

Their DL looks okay - Leo is going to be fine after Wilk moved on.

Todd Bowles is not really good in terms of defense schemes; Rex Ryan was pretty good in that department. Belichick is good there. Bowles cannot create a defensive system, from which he runs the defense with efficiency. He needs that last piece of the puzzle - which happens to be the outside pass rusher.

If Jets get Mack with 2 1's, then trade up for 2 picks in the spring, I wouldn't voice any dissatisfaction. If Mac lands Mack (that rhymes too, you see?) then he just needs to draft OL with all of his picks and then some.

18. TonyFtLaud

Just a thought on the whole Mack situation.
    Could he be holding out , waiting for Donald to set the Market ensuring he gets more. Donald will likely blink first as he lost an accrued season last year and losing another this year means he will be a restricted FA vs unrestricted.
    There is currently no offer on the table yet the Raiders announced how they we're going to get Mack up to speed on the new terminology once he signs.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Didn't Tanny give away draft picks like candy, which led to the mess of the post 2010 Jets? Not that I'm against trading up, but doing it every year will come back to bite us big time especially if we don't hit on the picks we do have.

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I went with "Wouldn't trade for him." He'd cost too much and frankly the only thing I want to utilize our draft picks for the next two years on is big fat offensive lineman to build a wall around Darnold. Making sure this kid doesn't get hurt or get permanent happy feet is the only thing that matters.

Sam Hammer likes this.