New Look to Fridays Broadcast....FINALLY!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Aug 8, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Anthony Becht takes over CBS analyst job from Greg Buttle

ByMICHAEL COHEN

Thanks soooooo much!

The New York Jets will have a new look on Friday night when they open up the preseason against the Atlanta Falcons.

And, no, we are not talking about Sam Darnold.

When fans tune into CBS, Ian Eagle will have a new broadcast partner in former Jets tight end Anthony Becht.

Becht will take over for Gregg Buttle, who served in the role as Jets preseason game analyst on CBS in New York after the network picked up Gang Green’s summer slate in 1999 from WPIX Channel 11. For a better part of the past 18 years Buttle has been paired with Eagle, who has become one of the industry’s top play-by-play voices for the NFL, NBA and college basketball.

For many Jets fans, and even non-Jets fans, the news that Buttle will leave the booth might be welcoming news. Buttle was best known for his horrible on-air gaffs, ill-timed jokes, and coming off as a complete Jets homer no matter the situation.

While he most definitely meant well, Buttle would go out of his way to defend any Jet player no matter the mistake on the field. Geno Smtih? Mark Sanchez? Tim Tebow? A blown play on defense? Yes, Buttle defended it all at some point during preseason games.

With the Jets and its television partner SNY (Sports Net New York) bringing in solid television talent like Ray Lucas, Chad Cascaden, Willie Colon, and, before he went back to the sidelines in New Orleans, special teams coach Mike Westhoff, the Jets had other guys they could have (and probably should have) tapped to do preseason games, but, instead they kept Buttle in the booth … until now.

With Becht a former first round pick of the Jets back in 2000, in the booth, the Jets are getting an excellent game analyst to go along with Eagle’s dramatic verve. Becht is best known in recent circles as an ESPN College Football analyst, which gives him a nice leg up when it comes to talking about players on both the Jets and Falcons for Friday’s telecast.

Not only has Becht seen guys like Darnold and current Jets rookie tight end Chris Herndon (4th Round out of Miami). He has familiarity with Falcons rookie wide out Calvin Ridley (1st Rounder out of Alabama), and rookie defensive tackle Deadrin Senat (3rd Rounder out of South Florida) as well.

During a time of the year where fans are seeing a lot of names they do not recognize, Becht’s expertise and knowledge about the new players coming out of college is going to be a welcome addition to the booth.

Being a former NFL tight end for five different teams, and a broadcaster with a national background that includes work on NBC Sports’ Pro Football Talk and Sirius XM radio, Becht will not walk around with green and white tinted glasses. He is going to be honest in both his praise and criticism of the Jets and their opponents throughout the summer. As a viewer that is all you want from your broadcast team. Welcome aboard, Anthony!

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Best thing I've read in months right there

CBG, Royal Tee, joe and 1 other person like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Great news. Seriously. :)

CBG, Royal Tee and LF911SC like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

In before "hope he's a better broadcaster than NFL TE".

On a more serious note this is good stuff for our fan base. Getting an up and coming broadcaster to join our booth with experience talking about college ball players.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Buttle is a Jets pre-season institution. Not a fan of change.

FlaJet and soh_vet like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Thanks goodness. I'm so sick of Buttle.

LF911SC likes this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Take a knee on this one, bra.

FJF, themorey, LF911SC and 2 others like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Buttle is “passing the torch” to Becht. But Becht couldn’t catch a damn thing back in the day

9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

It doesn’t MATTER.

10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

He was also somewhat of an asshole during the Enempkali-Geno fiasco.

Kind of a phony.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

They had to wait until the "mic drop" became a thing before bringing him on board.

BacktoQueens and stinkyB like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

beat me to it

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Me as well, stinky. By the way, I like that I can call someone stinky and not insult them. So here's my Anthony Becht Story. I'll have to try to recall who the Jets were playing at The Old Dump, but no way in hell that I'm the only one who remembers this . . . Becht had been getting crucified by fans all year. Remember the ole 'Stone hands' moniker that was getting beaten to death? Sure ya do. Anyway, Becht caught a pass on third down and the Jets converted. Guess what happened next? HE GOT BOOED. Hahahahahahahahaha, brutal.

I spit out my ice-cold Pepsi. It quickly escalated to full on hysterics. THERE WAS NO STOPPING ME. The familiarity of strangers sometimes, the guy behind me completely lost it and put his hand on my shoulder for physical support (because he was in stitches) and camaraderie (it was a perfectly fine personal space boundary to pass). I turned around, and we shook hands as we were fukking shrieking. We kept laughing on and off for the rest of the game. On commercial breaks he would start to lose it all over again without any outside stimulus, but forget it if Becht was lined up. It was fabulous. Imagine if we were drunk. Jets fans, like no other fans of any team of any sport in the world. What a twisted bunch we are. Becht catches a pass and gets booed, Holy Shit. Trust me, though, we weren't the only people in my section who cracked up, or in the entire Stadium for that matter. Anthony Becht was a better than decent blocker, though, I'll give him that.

As to Buttle, there's a reason I nick-named him Greg Bubbles years ago.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

makes total sense that he'd be your hero

FJF and LF911SC like this.
  15. stinkyB

Since there's a "dog thread"......... "stinky" was actually named after my old dog. This is the 2nd forum I ever joined. The 1st one was a Florida Sportsman Fishing forum with a shitton of members. When registering I tried multiple different usernames that were apparently all taken. There was a photo of my dog on the desk (It wasnt his name, but I always nicknamed him stinky), and the name sounded ridiculous so I figured it wouldnt be taken... well it sure wasnt. Then I joined here, and I forget what my 1st attempt was, but it was taken, so I just kept using "stinkyB"...

useless history lesson for the day

FJF likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I personally got a kick out of Buttle but who cares really. Anthony Becht sucks too, so there’s really no reason to get all that excited one way or the other.

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I recall your original avatar, and I figured your handle was after a dog, lol.

18. stinkyB

I don't even remember what it was...

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Interesting changes being made. Buttle is still doing pre-post and halftime but with Dan Graca now instead of Don LaGreca. I've never heard Graca on mad dog radio. Hopefully he's good.

20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Curious, you know he'll suck as a Jets announcer how? Because he was good calling college games?