2017-2018 NBA discussion thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Nope, the only rumor I heard was Dwight Howard going to the Warriors, but it appears Cousins was low-balled by the Celtics and Pelicans. He's coming off an achilles injury and it's very tough to come back from that, but if he does watch out.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm surprised that the Celtics low-balled him - it seems to me that he would fit in perfectly there, and they could basically waltz into the Finals if he was anything like his normal self by playoff time (and if he wasn't they don't lose much if they paid a little more than the mid-level exception). The Pelicans are a different matter - they actually played better after he got hurt, and Anthony Davis is obviously the future there.

He is obviously betting on himself that he can show the league a lot in the second half of the season. It just seems to me that the Warriors aren't really the right place to do that - sure, he'll get a ring, but he'll be so tangential to their success that other GMs won't be so reassured. And it's very possible that he'll be terrible for them, since their style is absolutely nothing like what he has done his entire career. What if he turns out to be JaVale McGee there?

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

As long as Cousins shows he is healthy he will get a big offer next year. So, if he’s going to have to play on a one year deal to get a long term deal next year, may as well do it where a championship would almost virtually be guaranteed.

4. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Woj reported that the Lakers think Lonzo is faking an injury to avoid a trade. What a scumbag if true. I figured he would be the one to go with the Lakers signing Rondo. The Balls and the Big Baller Brand bullshit really want to hop on the LeBron bandwagon and get playoff exposure on a 50+ win team. Sorry buddy but if you make the Lakers better by being traded, you will be gone.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-sports-lakers-lonzo-ball-injury-20180705-story.html

I keep checking the news and tuning in to radio hoping to hear of a Kawhi trade. It would create some interesting depth at Forwards for the Lakers and give LeBron a great sidekick. Just have to be patient and trust the FO I guess. LeBron did join the Lakers a day after PG decided to stay in OKC, and he basically came to LA with no guarantee that other stars were coming. He must trust Magic and Pelinka.

#544 Antoni, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. 101GangGreen101

6. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]

lmao Raptors

[​IMG]

#546 101GangGreen101, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  7. JetBlue

That was my initial reaction as well but perhaps this is strictly a short term play. This is a franchise, very similar to pre-LeBron Cleveland, that is mired is playoff failure and disappointment.

Would the team, as constructed, likely be a threat to the Celtics or Sixers next year or ascend to Eastern Conference dominance for the next three years afterwards? It seems unlikely, and if not all they are looking at is another playoff disappointment and a team likely to stay stagnant or in decline anyways. But, perhaps, with Kawhi they can make an NBA Finals. Sure, it would be gone the next year but, at some point, the team needs to give the fans an exciting playoff run.

8. 101GangGreen101

I would have found a way to keep DeRozen and trade Lowry and other pieces. If Kawhi doesn't resign, the team will be blown up and probably the GM will be out the door as well.

The lineup for the 1 year will be good defensively, but you have to wonder how they will be offensively.

Lowry-Green-Kawhi-O.G. Anunoby-Jonas Valančiūnas

Solid defensively, but a lot of questions offensively. I think with this roster, they could give the Cs problems, but not the 76ers IMO. The question is, can this team get to the finals this year? I just don't know. Especially with a new HC.

9. JetBlue

Perhaps the GM believes that another playoff disappointment and the team would be blown up anyways and he’d be out of a job. If that’s the case this isn’t a bad move and could possibly save his job.

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can't believe they gave up DD just a couple weeks after telling him they wouldn't. There's a good chance that either Kwahi leaves next year or might not even come back from his injury at 100%. Not only that they gave up a 1st rounder. It seems like the Spurs fleeced them, but I guess you never know. To me it's a little weird that the Raptors fire their head coach and trade their best player after the best season record in franchise history. I guess we'll see what happens.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The interesting thing about decisions made for this kind of reason (which certainly happen all the time) is the absenteeism of the owner. It's perfectly understandable why a GM would risk the future of a franchise for a one-year grab at the brass ring, but you would think that an owner would recognize that that is bad for the value of the franchise. As an owner I would never approve a trade like this without assurances from Leonard that there was a good chance that he would stay, which clearly wasn't the situation here.

12. JetBlue

As, like you, a fan of the Jets, Mets, Isles and Knicks, I have no expectation that team owners aren’t idiots.

13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Watching a few minutes of Lebron's interview about changing teams, he threw shade at cavs ownership and management about a half dozen times.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

C: Mitchell Robinson.
    PF: Kristaps Porzingis.
    SF: Kevin Knox.
    2G: Jimmy Butler.
    PG: Kyrie Irving.

Will become N.Y's starting 5 come the start of next year.

Not to mention next year's 1st round draft pick as well.

NBA Finals here we come (just one more season of losing basketball to go).

JetBlue likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Unlike Woody, who's just a bumbler, Dolan actively sabotages the Knicks. In the end, as long as he's the owner I don't see the Knicks assembling a championship roster.

Sam Hammer likes this.