2018 QB Competition Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Jul 26, 2018.

?

Who will be the week 1 starting QB?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2018.
  1. Josh McCown

22 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Teddy Bridgewater

16 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Sam Darnold

33 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Making this a bit selfishly because starting 2 weeks from today I’ll be too busy to check Twitter for updates during the day, but I’m sure there are others in the same situation who will appreciate it.

Figured that with the first practice being tomorrow we could use this thread to post updates about the QB battle and debate/discuss the options. Having seen 6 (!!!) consecutive training camps with QB uncertainty, I’m sure this thread won’t devolve into a complete clusterfuck of arguing and insults ;)

I’ll leave a poll open that lets you change your vote throughout the process; who will be the week 1 starter?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Part of me wants Darnold to sit and learn, but another part of me wants him to blow the minds of the Jets Coaching Staff and flat out earn the spot over McCown and Bridgewater. That would be awesome.

50ShadesOfGreen and NY Jets68 like this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

My heart says Teddy, but my brain says McCown. (Bowles is big on vets)

I am one of the people that wants Darnold to sit and learn for at least the first 4 weeks of the season. No rush. Dude is 21 years old.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That's true, but Christian Hackenberg taught us you either have it or you don't. Age does not matter. That was one of my reasons to not give up on him. Of course we all know Darnold won't sit 2 seasons and highly likely won't sit this whole season. We think Bowles likes vets, but his only young options were Geno, Petty, and Hackenberg, so difficult to truly know. :D

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don’t understand wanting Darnold to sit. Wouldnt you rather he show enough that he wins the starting job? That seems like the best case scenario to me.

In a perfect world he wins the starting job, Teddy shows enough to trade him for a decent pick and McCown is the back up.

In reality I think McCown starts for about half the season and Sam takes over halfway through. I don’t think Teddy is going to be anything special enough to warrant a team giving up anything useful for him.

6. PennyandtheJets

You are right no doubt. The options weren’t very...good

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. PennyandtheJets

To each his own my man. He is very young and raw. Time to watch and learn does not stunt his growth. If he has a Russell Wilson esque preseason, of course he should play, but I don’t see that happening. I’m very excited and happy to have Darnold, but I do think sitting and watching at least a portion of the season can’t hurt him.

MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I want to see Teddy play, but I think Darnold will exhibit the ability to just raise the level of play for the receivers and he will win the job.

themorey likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

FYI report is the job is now darnolds to lose. mccown stays as the backup and teddy is on the trade block

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Given that we have Darnold on the cheap for 4 years, I want him to see the field as soon as possible. But, he needs to earn it. I'd say that he has better competition than Sanchez did in '09. Let's see how he does in TC and the preseason.

legler82 likes this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is more a two man QB competition between Teddy B and Sammy D with McCown as the fallback if the first two options don’t work out.

My bet would be on Darnold starting week 1.

12. BroadwayAaron

I get all of this and my own opinion is that Sam is going to need about a half a season to learn the speed of the game and the intricacies but when people say they “want“ Sam to sit a year that never makes sense to me.

13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I have no idea who is starting game 1 but none of those dudes better have pads on or a helmet for the final preseason game.

HomeoftheJets and Peebag like this.
  14. PennyandtheJets

That “report” seems very preemptive. I doubt that the NYJ brass is thinking this way before training camp. If so, shame on them.

15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

OK I'll bite... If Darnold, TB & McCown don't play the final preseason game who plays QB that game? A Terrelle Pryor experiment?

16. Rollo Tomassi

I’m guessing they are going to sign some camp fodder. I thought they had some 4th stringer still on the roster but I forget who he was.

Hack is still on the street.

17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

One thing nobody has mentioned yet, is what do we do about a backup long term? Mccown for this year is fine, and y'all want to trade Teddy, k that's great, but then next year, and past that, who's the backup qb?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Rollo Tomassi

A jag FA and a 6th round developmental guy.

CotcheryFan and NYJalltheway like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

Literally anyone. If Sam is a stud, then he goes down, we aren't winning anyway.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Btw, I don’t want to trade Teddy, I love the guy but he is gone next year in any circumstance unless Darnold gets hit by a bus.

We HAVE to trade Teddy at some point before the trade deadline. Can’t let an asset like that go for nothing. Assuming he’s healthy of course.

Sucks because, but for Sam, I’d be really happy about having Teddy for the next 10 years.