2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

After 2018 free agency, here are some notable defensemen that have gained value as beneficiaries from offseason movement, coaching changes and injuries around the NHL.

Ryan Pulock, D, NYI -- Most of the New York Islanders roster has taken a fantasy hit after elite center John Tavares signed a seven-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs, but the impact of new coach Barry Trotz could have a net-positive effect on the 23-year-old defenseman. Pulock was one of the lone bright spots for the Islanders amid their second-half struggles; they allowed the third most goals in the NHL and second most shots. Despite the Islanders' poor goal differential over their final 43 games (minus-28), Pulock managed to have 25 points (eight goals, 17 assists), seven on the power play (led Islanders defensemen) and was plus-8. The Islanders will play a more structured defensive system under Trotz, who won the Stanley Cup with the Washington Capitals last season, which should benefit Pulock at even strength. If Trotz uses Pulock over Nick Leddy on the first power-play unit, he would gain exposure to Calder Trophy winner Mathew Barzal and could return value as a fantasy sleeper.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

TDK I read the entire thing and I still think JT is a P.O.S. I might wear my pajamas to the Feb 28th game and I hope that the Islanders not only win on Dec 29th in Toronto but that JT gets drilled by Matt Martin and company every time he touches the ice ! I hate this guy more than Crosby,<----- read this again,,,,,,,and I am certain MANY fans feel just as I do. If Jt was overwhelmed making his long awaited decision to leave then I think there is a good chance he will be overwhelmed again when he returns to play his old team and face his EX fans as I really don't think this guy realizes how he destroyed his legacy and credibility ----he is dead to us !

stinkyB, The Dark Knight and JetBlue like this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

stinkyB and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Meh. That was a whole lot of blah, blah, blah to say nothing in particular. He didn't kill anyone's dog, he did what he wanted to do, don't see the need for anything more than that it's time to move on. The Cleveland fans burning LeBron's jersey was pointless, getting all worked up about this is also pointless. Whatever.

6. Red Menace

josh ho-sang barry trotz expectations | Newsday
    Updated July 16, 2018 6:16 PM By Andrew Gross

Islanders
    [​IMG]
    New York Islanders forward Josh Ho-Sang at the Prospect Mini Camp, Friday, June 29, 2018 at the Northwell Health Ice Center. / George A. Faella

If mercurial former first-round pick Josh Ho-Sang has an opinion on the Islanders’ new leadership, he won’t be sharing it right now.

The team opted not to have Ho-Sang speak to the media during the Islanders’ prospect development camp from June 25 to June 30 and a follow-up interview request from Newsday also was denied last week.

That seems a pretty telling decision by management as the Islanders hope Ho-Sang, 22, the 28th overall pick in 2014, matures into a full-time NHL role this season.

Both sides now have a clean slate in the relationship.

“He’s got NHL skill, he’s got NHL ability,” new coach Barry Trotz said on Sirius XM NHL Network on July 5. “From my standpoint, there are certain expectations we are going to have for him on and off the ice. I think he realizes a lot of his things in the past, where he got himself in maybe a little bit of, I don’t want to say trouble, but just in a situation where he comes across maybe poorly, that’s just a young man who is just growing up.”

Last season, Ho-Sang criticized how the Islanders handled his development and he’s never been shy about expressing his views. Ho-Sang said when he was drafted in 2014, “I’m more emotional than most people, that poses a problem for the hockey world.”

The right wing also was immediately returned to Niagara (OHL), his junior team, on the first day of Islanders’ training camp in 2015 when he showed up late.

But Lou Lamoriello has replaced Garth Snow as president and general manager, and Trotz, after leading the Capitals to the Stanley Cup last season, is now behind the Islanders’ bench instead of Doug Weight.

Ho-Sang started last season with the Islanders and had four assists in his first four games before being re-assigned to Bridgeport after his sixth game. Ho-Sang then had two goals and six assists over 16 additional NHL games, going scoreless in his last six, before being returned to the Sound Tigers. He compiled eight goals and 23 assists in 50 games for Bridgeport in his second professional season.

“I got to see the last two days of development camp and I’ve spent a couple of hours already with Josh,” Trotz said. “We talked about his game, his future, what he wants to do, what I expect. Things we can improve and some things that are said about Josh. He’s a talented, talented young man. He sees the game a little differently than some people and I think it’s getting a real balance of a dialogue with a young man like that, that I think the upside is tremendous.”

Ho-Sang should compete for a spot among the Islanders’ top six forwards during training camp in September after captain and top-line center John Tavares signed a seven-year, $77-million deal with his hometown Toronto Maple Leafs.

This season is the last on Ho-Sang’s three-year, $3.4-million entry-level deal, making it a crucial one to determine his long-term future with the Islanders.

“I think there’s been a lot of growth from what I understand from the coaching staff in the Islanders’ organization,” Trotz said. “I talked to him and, to me, it’s finding out what makes him tick. It’s on us. He’s a tremendous talent. If we can put him in the lineup, he can give you some speed. He gives you some skill. He’s scored at every level. It’s just getting all the pieces in the right order for a young man who has the ability to play in the NHL.”

CBG and stinkyB like this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

8. JetBlue

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Im really on the fence with Ho Sang,,,I would love to see what he can do ,,but he's a time bomb

10. JetBlue

So would I buy I’d swap him for a young, proven commodity.

11. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Lol, you’re not getting the rights to Trouba for Ho-Sang alone. Maybe in a package with a 1st and Beauvillier or something like that, but even then, Winnipeg isn’t in need of LW.

12. JetBlue

Yes, I know it isn’t realistic. It’s moot anyway; the Jets can carry the $5.5 one year deal he was awarded so I don’t see how he moves anyway unless a team makes a big offer.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Trouba does NOT want to be there,,,,,Winnipeg I believe has cash issues -----I really want to KEEP HO Sang,,,would rather move Lee or Ladd,,,,,,,time will tell where Trouba goes and what moves Lou Makes ---> but they are coming

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Brock Nelson 1 yr 4 million,,ugh please trade him at the deadline!!!!

15. Red Menace

You would rather move Anders Lee? No way would I move a guy who plays in front of the net and can score goals like he can.

Ho-Sang is potential unfulfilled, Lee is a proven goal scorer in the NHL, young and a very important core piece of this team.

Having a goal scorer that can stand in front of the net is what opens up the ice for the playmakers like Ho-Sang, Barzal, Eberle.

The isles don’t have much size to begin with, the last thing I would do as a GM is give up a PF who can score goals.

CBG likes this.
  16. Red Menace

I believe he will see a lot of ice team under Trotz. Barry likes playmakers and he has some skilled guy to work with.

Brock on second line with Ho-Sang and Ladd.

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I am not opposed to moving Lee, Ladd , Eberle almost anyone. The thing with Lee is he scores goals from in front of the net or wherever but he is also a FA at years end,,,,,,,I would not mind trading him or anyone else besides Barzel right now

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Red Menace

Then I would sign him if I were the islanders. If anyone deserves to be paid at this point is Anders Lee. That’s what bothers me about the money they gave to Clutterbuck, Bailey...etc

Need that money for the guys who actually put points on the board on a consistent basis.

CBG likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Menace don't forget Mayfields money ugh,,,,,I am on the fence with Lee as far as trading him,,40 goal scorers don't grow on trees but will his numbers diminish with no JT also he seems to be banged up a lot,,,,I trust in Lou

Red Menace likes this.
  20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.