Boom or Bust Training Camp Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Jul 12, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Every year there seems to be players that either rocket up the depth chart or sputter their way off the roster during training camp--

Examples of ones in the past that came through during camp were Robby Anderson, Marcus Maye, Damon Harrison, Quincy etc.

Examples of those who's stories ended before they were told...Hack, Gholston, Doug Jolley, Milliner, Devin Smith.

Here is my short list of players that will be note worthy during camp one way or another, lets make this list younger players or new additions....lets make it interesting and leave out obvious talent (Leonard, Jamal, etc)

Boom:

Nathan Shepherd: IMO he will dominate his matchups
    Jordan Jenkins: I see him stepping it up and becoming a leader
    Chad Hansen: Will continue making plays in camp
    Parry Nickerson: I see him playing a big role this year, barring injury
    Avery Williamson: Wont be dominant, but will be SUPER productive and an impressive team player
    Henry Anderson: He will be a gritty, motivated player in camp, will make plays

Busts:

Jordan Legget: I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't see it, the bust is strong with this one
    Juston Burris: He will have a rough camp and be buried in depth chart
    James Carpenter: He didn't look the same last year and I think he regresses again
    Lorenzo Mauldin: I don't see his fit here, coming off an injury, not athletic to start off with, think he will have a slow camp
    Terrelle Pryor: Already injured, almost 30, always know to use his physical ability, combine that with the fact he's not know for his route running and I don't see good things

Your Turn!

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Think you pretty much made the blanket post, not sure who else you could even list without going deeeeeep down the depth chart and throwing a dart.

I'll add Ardarius Stewart to the list of busts. It's going to be hard for him to break out with a healthy Enunwa, Robbie, Kearse and an emerging Chad Hansen most likely getting a bulk of the reps, and that's assuming Pryor isn't healthy enough. I actually think Leggett is more of a boom candidate than a bust. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember reports of him making some nice athletic plays. Herndon still is the better talent, he just needs to not drink and drive.

FrontOfficeFanatic, Mogriffjr and FJF like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Skrine and Pryor get cut because of Nickerson and Hansen developing. Also, Pryor is still injured.

FJF and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  4. As others have stated OP nailed it however id flip Legget & Nickerson.

Legget will only bust if expectations are too high.If hes healthy i think hes a solid #2 TE.Its expecting more that will cause disappointment.

I think Nickerson makes the team but struggles to find PT.He has no prior experience in the slot & isnt the greatest tackler.That rules out ST & subpackages early on.

LF911SC and Walt White like this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The defensive line is going be stout. Henry Anderson was a beast when he was healthy as a run stuffing DE...He also was decent with the pass rush that he didn't hurt the Colts. I think between him and Shepard, I think the pass rush from the line will be better. But the Jets still need an speed rusher from the outside.

I think Hansen will be Darnold's favorite WR here. Just a feeling.

I have no clue about the TE's. It would see odd to cut Leggett or have him in the PS, where he may get nabbed but if there's gonna be only 2 TE's making the roster, one of the younger TE's will be tough to cut. And I feel Eric T is a shoe in to make the team. I also think the Jets like Sterling.

Walt White likes this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Anderson/Shepard have to be better than what went on last year with Wilkerson. That was a disaster with him last year.

Depth is better overall too. If everything else is a little better it may help to free up a Bass or Donahue a little more so we can see a little more production.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Boom,
    Leggett, not sure why people are down on him
    Hanson,
    Lee, save the Sharon remarks.
    Bust
    All the olbs not named Jenkins
    A. Stewart, sadly, I liked his game in college but like was said above, numbers game is going to bury him on the chart.

8. FrontOfficeFanatic

Stewart was a good addition to the bust list....I wasn't very impressed with his play time last year. He didn't separate well from what I watched. Leggett is a specimen, but I'm not sure how tough he is or if he has what it takes to be a dominant tight end. His comp from analysts was Kellen Davis =(

9. FrontOfficeFanatic

Anderson is a smart, blue collar football player...I think he's the type of role player the good teams like to have on the roster. Glad we picked him up for only a 7th. Never hurts to have Stanford guys either

Mogriffjr likes this.