Lets talk defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Jul 7, 2018.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I know it's early but let's see what our potential defense looks like on paper.
    I realize cut downs haven't happened, so I'm killing two birds with one stone by taking a stab at it.

DL- Anderson, Williams, McClendon, Sheperd, Upshaw, Pennel, Simon.

ILB- Lee, Avery, Pierre-Louis, we could use another body here. Hopefully we will get one somewhere.

OLB- Jenkins, Bass, Mauldin, Martin, Donahue,

CB- Johnson, Claiborne, Skrine, Burris, Clark, etc....
    Inexperienced but we have a few bodies other than the top 3.

S- Adams, Maye, Wilcox, Middleton

With what is on paper, it looks as though our run defense will improve to a degree, but we still have the same glaring weakness.
    Our LB's are not cover or mad rush guys. RB's and TE's will still gouge us but maybe our secondary is better where they can cover long enough to get those 4-5 second drop back sacks.
    A lot of our defense's problem is scheme. What would we like to see different? Man to man, Zone/Zone Blitz, cover 2, 3-4 front, 4-3 front,
    3-3-5, Nickel, 46? Todd left Arizona when their defense could get after the QB. If we learned anything, it was that Calais Campbell had a lot to do with toilet's success, rather than the other way around.
    Massive improvement is what I expect, or Todd needs demoted to H.S. Somewhere.

Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The secondary will be a lot better with Trumaine Johnson and possibly Parry Nickerson in the slot. Its certainly better than having Skrine as our #2 last year. I expect improvement from Maye and Adams. They could be a top 5-10 unit depending on how fast they gel.

The D-line will probably be the same or slightly better. I like our draft picks and the addition of Anderson in the 7th was a great trade by Mac. I think 1 or more of them will stick. McClendon is solid. I think that this year's unit will be a slight improvement over having an underachieving and poutty Mo on the line last year.

Linebackers are clearly the weakspot on this D. Avery Williamson is a lateral move from Demario Davis (although hes younger). Lee keeps hyping himself up as having improved, but IMO hes gotta show he's for real on the field before I believe in this guy. People dont seem to be that high on Jordan Jenkins, but I like him as a non-pass rushing outside option and he is still getting better. We sorely lack a good outside linebacker after that, but that would/should be the pass rusher that we need to go out and get next year.

Overall, they markedly improved the defense on paper this offseason. I like the core of drafted players that we are building around in Adams, Williams, and hopefully Lee. I think we are a pass rusher away from being a really good defense. Despite that, Bowles needs to find a way to create pressure on the QB from other players currently on the roster as we can't rely on 1 person to eventually fix this problem for us.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Being they were in nickel or dime D 6 out of every 10 plays last year the addition of Johnson should help improve the D quite a bit. They just didn't have enough quality DBs last season.
    They still need to get after the QB, getting a few more coverage sacks just won't cut it. They need someone to step up their game and get after the QB, I just don't know if that player is on the roster.

Brook!, tbruner12, Mogriffjr and 4 others like this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Defense has some nice building blocks but needs an outside pass rusher or two, some infusion at LB such as an EDGE and maybe an ILB to bring along and also a younger CB to gradually inject himself into the starting lineup. I’d say about 3 players away from a top defense.....

Brook! likes this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Williams was a lot better whenever Wilkerson was on the sideline. I’m looking for big things out of he and Anderson, who I like a lot, this year.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think we will be solid against the run, should be ok on the edges with trumaine and mo clairborne. Slot and te/rb short passing defense scares me.

tbruner12 and No Fly Zone like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I have to think that a legit pass rusher is a need that Macc has in mind for next year's draft where the class looks to be deep.

8. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Would love if Baby Bosa declined in production a bit this year at Ohio State and slid down to us somewhere in the 6 to 10 range.

9. Big Cat

You think we’re trading up from 32?

Brook!, FJF, TonyFtLaud and 2 others like this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

[​IMG]

KurtTheJetsFan and Big Cat like this.
  11. Jay Bizniss

All jokes aside though, Bosa I think will be a pipe dream as I think this team has the opportunity to compete for a Wild Card spot.

tbruner12 likes this.
  12. Big Cat

I agree on virtue of a weak AFC rather than a ready-to-compete Jets team. I can see them winning 7 to 9 games, which should keep them in the race all year.

tbruner12 and Jay Bizniss like this.
  13. Jay Bizniss

With you on that. I think 2019 is when we turn the page and are ready to really talk about those Lombardi aspirations.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Jay are you sincere or just giving us all the Bizniss when you declare we get a Wild Card spot..??

TGG never ceases to amaze me..

15. Big Cat

I know people are going to roll their eyes when I mention the Jets in the same sentence as the reigning SB champions but...

I think the 2018 Jets are exactly where the 2016 Eagles were. Traded up for the FQB and have some young talent on the roster but not enough to win it all. Whether or not Darnold is the guy, as well as the Jets’ ability to flesh out the roster with their cap space next year, will determine if we can follow Philly’s lead or not. I think the 2016 Eagles went 7-9 and I see that as realistic for us.

This is also why I think Darnold should start all year. Let him grow and learn so he’s experienced when we (hopefully) have a shot at competing next year. It would suck to be in the thick of the playoff race with a pseudo-rookie at QB.

Brook!, Mogriffjr and Jay Bizniss like this.
  16. Jay Bizniss

I am dead serious. Why don't you think we can compete for a WC spot? Last year we really should have won 8 games. We upgraded the roster significantly through free agency (Trumaine Johnson, Avery Williamson, Spencer Long, Crowell), the draft (Sam Darnold), and have Quincy Enunwa back and healthy. You think it is out of the realm that this is a 9 or 10 win team?

tbruner12 likes this.
  17. Jay Bizniss

I'm with you bud. This is the beginning of something great. And don't forget we are really young. These guys are going to keep getting better and better and we will be able to retain most of the key cogs due to Mikey Mac being smart as shit with our money the past couple of years. Exciting times ahead.

18. Even if production slides Bosa’s power to speed around the edge is too rare to pass up.That said its a very deep class for outside pass rushers..its always possible he slips due to the numbers game.

Im still skeptical that edge will be targeted by jets in round 1. I think both Edge & OL get addressed in free agency where there are quite a few projected names available whod fit perfectly & we’ll have the means to attain. Would they consider doubling up at edge? Absolutely.

But something tells me theyll be targeting top end weapons for Darnold.Its shaping up to be a good WR class w Brown,Neal,Samuel,Richards etc.

TonyFtLaud and Jay Bizniss like this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sure..I am hopefull we have an improved secondary with Truman J and feisty Claiborne..but after that meh

TBH if Maye / Adams don't prove they are impact players this year .then .they were wasted picks in a draft where we should have gone all out Offense

It's Hot Garbage if Bowles Kacy don't play some new players over the favored Vets like $krine and half azz Lee ..both are jokes..prepare to be shredded

No one in the League will be afraid of us...sad but true

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. Jay Bizniss

I would have no problems with targeting Edge & OL in free agency as we will have more than enough money to make a splash. We need to figure out a way to get a 2nd rounder back though.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.