Just for fun and history

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jul 9, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Mark sanchez first pass in the NFL

preseason game obviously. took over from inside the 5 yard line and hits clowney with a beautiful deep 50+ yard throw. sadly he never turned out to anything, but lets just remember that 1 throw or game doens't make a career and be patient with darnold either way it goes.

Pags2112, KurtTheJetsFan and Cman68 like this.
  2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Jesus this board is pathetic in the off-season, every time I check this site, I have to double up on my antidepressants .

Peebag and FJF like this.
  3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yep I remember.........

I was a little more excited after his real debut in Texas. I liked his hustle, his footwork, he played like a vet and though his numbers were pedestrian I was pretty confident the Jets did well drafting him.......

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Things seemed so promising then. I will definitely not jump the gun this time. I will wait until the 2nd preseason game, maybe even the third, before I proclaim Darnold the next Joe Namath.

FlaJet and Harpua like this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Sounds really loud for a preseason game

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sanchez started the season opener but not that preseason game. So who was the "starting" QB to start camp and in that game? I can't even remember

7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head (and I can't be bothered to look it up) would it have been Kellen Clemens?

8. JohnnyJet1222

JohnnyJet1222 Active Member

Yes, it was Clemens. I was so excited after that thinking we had found our savior. Not saying Sanchez was going to be a hall of famer but I hope this FO & CS have the patience and support for Darnold.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not often I've ever read "Fun" and "History" when referring to the Jets.

boozer32, Acad23, Harpua and 3 others like this.
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sanchez to Clowney - don't forget that combo we'll be hearing a lot of it. You have to admit, '09 & '10 were great years to be a Jets fan.

11. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Sanchez wasn't a fighter, zero intestinal fortitude. He was better than pedestrian before he found out how rough the NFL is. Scared stiff from then on. He could hear the foot steps and pressure got to him.
    I hope Sam is tough, ignores the rush and completes quality passes to people who make plays.
    I hope Sam gets thumped hard early, jumps up tosses the ball to the ref, goes to the huddle calls a great play and makes an awesome throw on the next play. I hope that lasts his entire career. No pussies at QB for the JETS please! Lol

12. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

He took a bunch of hits early on and had no issues getting back up and performing. It was during the Hunter and Vlad terms he lost confidence and rightfully so. Those few years post playoff runs he was getting hammered. Had all the weapons he was used to pulled away little by little each year. Cleary had issues dealing with media backlash and the scummy fanbase turning on him. Was he the next great thing NOPE but he would have been a decent QB had they got him what he needed around him to be successful.

westiedog1 and ukjetsfan like this.
  13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

The usual defense of Sanchez. OL, weapons, coaches and fanbase.

Sometimes the player just isn't what we want them to be. That was Sanchez, a mediocre QB on a stacked team won. Couldn't win on his own.

tbruner12 and Walt White like this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think that's a valid defense of Sanchez. Only a handful of elite QB's can raise a team to a winning level on their own. Yes, we know Sanchez was not that, but few QB's are. Even E. Manning, who won two SB's, needs a good team around him to win. I think Sanchez' main weakness was that he was a poor decision maker, but he was young and still learning the game. The rest of his failure can be attributed to the FO for allowing too much talent to leave without replacing it, and the coaching staff, especially Rex, for putting him in that exhibition game getting him hurt when he wasn't prepared to play. Had that not happened, who knows, maybe that would have been the year it all fell into place for him.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Sorry don't buy the it's the Jets fault. He was constantly late throwing to WRs. He was horrendous at reading D's and finding the open WR. He never just trusted his WRs and threw, he waited for them to get open first, doesn't work that way in the NFL. As for who left, he had WRs and a TE who could catch. They got him Braylon. They brought in Holmes. He wasn't any better with them. He just didn't have it, happens. Didnt even need to be elite, needed to not throw games away. Huge difference

He went to Philly and failed. He went to Denver and failed. But it's on the Jets CS for his failures.

#15 LF911SC, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    tbruner12 likes this.