Tanking would be a cancer to the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 8, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Tanking = losing games on purpose for the sake of draft position. A fan perspective is very small in the grand scheme of things. If they want to go out there, play hard and improve then I see no fault in that. Tanking brings no progress, just more regression.

BudJet likes this.
  2. FAN tanking=Hoping (NOT ROOTING) for the team to play young prospects instead of underperforming incumbents once contention is out of the question & subparity is abundantly clear w an eye toward developing/evaluating young players & garnering higher draft position in the form of losing which theyve already done in September,October & November.

3. 101GangGreen101

IMO that's not what tanking is. Tanking is what the 76ers did, they lost games on purpose and tanked for more picks. During that process, there was legitimately 0 hope. The NY Rangers for example, traded away their veterans and they are in the perfect opportunity to tank, but they kept winning games anywhere to establish a culture. The Jets did not tank last year and they played their young players hoping they could develop. As a result, they won 5 games with their young talent. The Jets if they were tanking, probably would've won like 2 or 3 games, I am sure they would've lost the Jags game on purpose by rolling over.

No need to make the term "TANK" sound like a positive aspect for fans, because that's not true. Tanking is losing games on purpose. Bowles for the most part played the majority of the young players. No player was redshirted.

4. Tanking sixers style is not possible in football above all else due to safety.You cant be a linemen and just let 300 lb men beat you to a pulp.Same goes for any other position.

Just because the team is trying to win doesnt mean in the grand scheme of things that its the best thing that could happen. So while im not foolish enough to believe a coaching staff or roster is gonna commit career suicide i dont appreciate other fans acting all giddy about false bravado that could very well be a contributing factor to the team’s downward spiral.Again..6 times in 15 years..and its maddening to hear so many defend those wins..NOT the effort..the outcome!

5. 101GangGreen101

Why is it not possible to tank the 76ers way? I can easily throw players on the IR for questionable reasons. Bench players, trade players, and spend little money. Thats what the 76ers did. I thought the way the Jets played last year, was the absolute way to go about their business. Also, you can't blame Bowles and Macs failures on past regimes. Judge this regime and just this regime. They've made their mistakes, but the arrow is absolutely pointing up right now.

Perhaps instead of going from one regime to the next, if a regime does struggle give them the opportunity to get out of that hole. Thats something that hasn't happened much.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  6. Again..this is not about the team..this is about fans & as it pertains to the discussion i can absolutely point to past regimes bc past regimes are a large part of the point im trying to make.6 times in 15 years & fans still think that cheering on 5-11 vs 3-13 has any redeeming value or somehow makes thm a better fan

The team is not going to tank we get that.But that doesnt mean fans cant hope for better draft position nor does it make meaningless wins any less meaningless

7. 101GangGreen101

I don't think anyone is cheering for a 5-11 record. I think fans are cheering for progress. Players got better last year.

FJF likes this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I had fun last year rooting for them. They obviously changed course and went with a youth movement, As a fan I think I might enjoy a rebuild as much as anything. I love watching young guys maturing and getting better and a team finding itself on the rise. I like to root for people to succeed.

That started last year. Where it ends up I don't know. But I don't need the media to tell me what's good, after it happens. Usually they're behind what's really happening anyway, most of them. But the whining from some fans about every fucking thing...omfg

The whole 'fuck this they didn't tank how can you root for this stuff' was pretty lame, and sickening, to me. Criticizing Mac and Bowles for not tanking and rehashing shit from the last century was pathetic and most it wrong as it pertained to the present.

LF911SC, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so you think when they brought in Josh Mccown they thought to themselves "hey this is our best chance to get a QB to help us win?" 2-20 and they think that?

I think they are a little smarter than that myself

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think when they signed mccown they thought “here’s a guy that knows the qb coach and oc and should be a good fit in the qb room and can help the young kids and hopefully we won’t have to play him. “ I’m guessing by the time preseason game 2 rolled around they were gripping pretty hard about the qb situation. Mac grabbed that second from Seattle with an eye on being able to move up because they knew in August they were going to be in the qb market. Not sure they were thinking that in March when mccown signed

Walt White and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Agreed, if this franchise can amount to anything, we will look back on the journey it took to get there and marvel at it. I am really counting on Bowles to improve his coaching and have this roster build on last year. Cannot have any major step-backs in terms of player development.

This whole "fan perspective" makes no sense to me. Do I wish instead of going 8-8 we get the #1 pick? Absolutely, but thats not how the game works, you adjust and scout your ass off.

FJF and Walt White like this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I say the Jets should tank this year completely and trade the number one for a late first rounder and a second or two. Keep Darnold wrapped in that red safety blanket until there is someone out there to protect him. 2019 - The New, New York Jets!

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd agree with you if Darnold was a statue in the pocket, but he can make plays on the run. He should start as soon as he's ready.

14. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

That's as wrong as can be. No one tanked. If they wanted to tank they wouldn't have signed their best QB as a FA, they would have started Petty or better yet, Hackenberg.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The coaching staff sets the lineup. The front office picks the players. And josh McCown was not the best Free agent QB

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

So how much has Brady cost the cheaters over the span of his contracts ?

Nowhere near the true cost of a franchise QB has cost other teams, I bet those shortfall contracts certainly helped during free agency etc etc Also the fact a lot of players would want to sign up at the chance of a ring and also not ask for the same cash amount they would if they had to sign for the jets, all of these things help, as do getting lucky or having the right eye to spot talent in the later rounds and hell coaching the player into a talent, something we seemingly struggle with or the talent wasn't actually talented to begin with ?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Exactly what I said, FO didn't put the team on the field to play

Josh McCown played well. Won 5 out of 12.5 games on a team picked to win one or two games. Finished in the top third of all starting QBs. On top of all of this the jets were set up to have Hack win the starting job. So signing McCown had nothing to do with anything and doesn't come close to proving there was a tank planned.

For bonus points we now have a mentor in place for Sam who gets it.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So by your logic around 20 teams should tank every year? Good plan.

19. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

OP

Please stop with the fawking cancer reference

It’s highly insulting and rude to real cancer heroes

I wish you can see it

LF911SC and Passepartout like this.
  20. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

I second that! As know the feeling. Had cancer survivors in my family and one that sadly died. Thanks for putting that up.