Tanking would be a cancer to the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

But we stepped in shit along the way.

It's all good now.

So now those wins maybe helped the young guys learn how to win just a little, and come together just a little more, maybe they mean a little more now.
    They certainly competed their asses off. That's a damn good thing. I'm looking for it to show on the field this year, particularly the D unit.

#21 Walt White, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Agree that tanking would be bad for the NFL, but you don’t have to worry about that with the Jets this upcoming year. They will win more games than they did last year.

BudJet and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That's gonna be harder than you might think...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Like I said wishy washy. You didn't want wins, would have been happier with losses but because what you wanted has no bearing on whether they won or lose it's not a tank or means you wanted them to lose. Makes no sense, lol. You either wanted them to tank or you didn't. And if you didn't then you can't keep saying if fans are happy with beating a team good for them but thank god we lucked into Darnold otherwise......wishy washy, either embrace the idea of tanking or not. Not that complicated

5. LF911SC

Exactly.

Which is teams in the NFL don't tank. Add in that the college player fans fall in love with don't always pan out. Perfect example was Jets fans up in arms for beating the Raiders and kissing the opportunity to draft a Response B that was going to take the league by storm. A game changer. Once in a lifetime back. Reggie Bush. What a waste of energy over a average back.

6. Cman68

Kimmy Kardashian didn't think so... LOL

7. LF911SC

Lol, but she had a completely different set of requirement and expectations. :p

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

There is a huge difference between "tanking," and just being a bad team. I dont see the Jets doing the former, but I absolutely see them doing the latter.

I could easily see them getting a top pick and flipping it since they already have the QB.

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The ability to find and develop talent trumps tanking. Obviously the Jets have had their share of draft blunders, some of which could be seen the second the pick was made. Macc's record isn't great, but it has improved. He needs to hit on more picks after round 1. I don't think any team has openly tanked. The 2011 Colts were lucky in that they were so dependent on Peyton in previous years and a can't miss QB was entering the draft in following year. IMO, they went 2-14 because they were bad, not because they were playing to lose.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Jets tanked last season and got Darnold out of the deal. That means the tanking is over.

Now you want to build a winning culture around the young players. This season should be all about working on finishing games. We will still have one of the youngest rosters in the league. Critical time for team development. You want to instill that losing is unacceptable to the point where even if they lose games, and they will, they are pissed off about it.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

What’s wishy washy?

I wanted the Jets to lose every single game because I wanted to guarantee us Darnold.

My desires for the Jets to lose had no impact on their performance on the field, did not cause the Jets to tank, made no difference.

Tanking is solely a fan created concept.

It’s not that complicated.

Because in hindsight we mortgaged a bunch of valuable picks and STILL needed two professional organizations to totally screw up to get Darnold doesn’t change the fact that some of those wins were useless.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what fans want has nothing to do with performance on the field correct.

But tanking in general isn't a fan created concept. If the Jets wanted to win last season they would not have cut all the veterans, drafted 2 safeties and signed a QB in Mccown who was 2-20 the previous 3 seasons. The front office was tanking

Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Cman68

Hopefully, Reggie went deep..:)

#33 Cman68, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    LF911SC likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Nonsense, winning does nothing for the morale of the team. The Jets did not tank last year either. Won 5 games, could've won more with better execution and still got the best QB prospect in the draft.

You dont have to tank to field a good team. Win as many games as possible.

LF911SC, Walt White and FJF like this.
  15. This continues to be depicted as this all or nothing “go for 0-16 from week 1 on” and nobody is saying that. When the team is bottom of the barrel bad which theyve been quite often & they fall out of contention what does beating lousy Buffalo or Tennesee accomplish for this franchise other than destroying draft position & clouding perception of how bad the team is?

Ive heard all the crap about culture,how real fans root for wins no matter what,etc.Its all just hot air & its never catapulted this team to any sort of progress. The only tangible carryover is the win in the standings & the draft position.Ive yet to hear a compelling argument that pertains to the team as to why 5-11 & drafting outside the top 5 is somehow better than finishing 3-13 & at the very least having superior ammunition headed into the offseason.

For many as soon as the team is out of contention its onto next year.Get the best draft position possible clean house & build it up. A late year pat on the back is just a waste of energy.Theres no interest in moral victories theres no interest in consollation prizes. Does that somehow make us inferior as fans?

Its super bowl or bust.Stacked roster or death.Not interested in moral victories or mickey mouse wildcard births once a decade.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes but since we have poor coaching poor scouting and a clueless owner what else is there to hope for? At least set yourself up for a break and a high round player come draft day!?!

When I was younger and bit more naive I wanted wins no matter how bad the team looked..always hoping for a miracle season..but honestly 7-9... 8-8 get you nowhere in the rebuilding process unless you are Belligenius and have a gift for management/coaching

The fun could just be starting for you FBG214 but for a lot of us the hour is getting really late.....

Cman68 likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hey...stupid sounds good>>>we draft great talent and eventually a better coaching staff once Bowles and comp are history and if a coaching wiz sees potential on the team

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Seems to me that the jets would have kept all those vets if they truly wanted to tank last year. Revis,Marshall,decker ,fitz all contributed more to the 11 losses then the 5 wins of 2016 and were all basically non performers in 2018.

TonyFtLaud and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You don't lose games intentionally. The most competitive teams in the league dont need to pick in the top 5 to stay relevant. They draft and find gems year in and year out. Ask the Texans or Chiefs.

I've yet to hear a compelling argument on why losing games intentionally gets you a superbowl. I still don't see Andrew Luck with a super bowl ring. That's the only team that truly tanked to get a draft pick from what I remember the past 6 or so seasons. No one in the NFL really tanks.

FJF likes this.
  20. Where at any point has anyone suggested losing games intentionally? We arent on the team.We are just fans. God knows these jet players & coaches find something to play for once we’re out of contention..bc they always seem to turn it up a notch once the pressure’s off & thats sort of the point.

From a fan perspective, we gain nothing from these late season wins but false bravado..yet so many eat it right up. It makes me sick. And then to have folks claim it makes them better fans??GTFO

If youre ok with seeing absolute bottom of the barrel football years upon years & never once earning a top 3 pick..then i guess yay rah rah mediocrity!