Tanking would be a cancer to the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 8, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I have been reading many threads in this forum and I can't believe there are posts talking about tanking in '18 for a better pick in '19. The reason I say it is the cancer of the NFL is because if all non playoff teams decided to tank for better picks the NFL would be a joke. You play to win the game. True we could have been in better Draft position without trading away 3 #2 picks, but you have to play to win and let the chips fall where they may. Players and coaches reputation are a reflection of how they preform. Any player or coach that says they would be OK with tanking doesn't belong in the league. If non playoff teams start tanking for Draft position that would surely be a cancer that would turn Sunday football into a circus. I watch Sunday football rooting for the Jets to win I don't care what their record is, not to mention what kind of free agents would the team be able to sign if they have a reputation for tanking. I hope the NFL stays cancer free and keeps football worth watching.

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

A fan rooting for a tank has no effect on what a team does on the field. Just like rooting REALLY hard doesn’t help winning (from afar-not live games and even then it has to be backed by talent and execution).

NFL teams will almost never tank on purpose, maybe the Colts that one year but it just doesn’t happen.

Unlike the NBA.

Tanking in the NFL is strictly a function of and a creation by fans.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I just want to point out that I can not read “you play to win the game” without it being herms voice in my head.

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

100%...And maybe a couple in the media. There was a bunch of fans on here that swallowed that hook line and sinker last year.
    If anyone still believes that the team would do that, or should, is wasting their time.

5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I rooted for a tank last year because our roster was in shambles. Considering that this year if we get eliminated from the playoffs mid or late season that Darnold would be starting I will not root for a tank even in week 17. We now do or die with our QB and I want him to succeed as much as possible.

BudJet likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

And those fans who prefer tanking to winning meaningless games like KC last year represent a concerned handful ( maybe more ) that are just sick and tired of bad teams, losing seasons and awful coaching..go back as far as Champ Myself and Boozer and you register the same disgust at the Jets clown show , bottom of the barrel ownership and management

Sometimes you need to get three steps backward to go forward 6 and landing Sam Darnold was a fortuitous gift courtesy of Bowles sh@t Coaching and Macagnan coffee shop management...Like Hermedinger told him the move to spot # 3 draft was a good move but getting the Giants and Browns to pass on this QB was like a Diamond Horseshoe up his a hole

That said do I want a tank THIS year ??? lmao ...go look at the schedule and give me an honest answer who we are beating ...so yes tanking or not has nothing to do with poor game managers and a bunch of talented players with very high hopes but loads of question marks on how they perform

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Tanking is for loser teams without Franchise QB's. Those days are over for the J-E-T-S!

donkey, Brook!, LAJet and 1 other person like this.
  8. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

No real football fan ever wants their team to tank. If the playoffs are out of reach and its time to play young players who aren't necessarily the best players on the team, that isn't the same as tanking. The team should always be trying to win with the team it has on the field. Who we put on the field is a factor of our current record and the prospects we have on the bench.

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, if your FO/CS and scouting department can't locate and draft real talent, tanking becomes meaningless. That being said, endless 5-11/8-8/9-7 seasons sucks the life out of a fanbase. They just become numb, accepting of mediocrity and an absence of hope. Tanking certainly works in the NBA. Philly is proof of that. Simply losing works in MLB. Just ask Atlanta and Philly about that. What went right for them is that on draft day, their FO and scouts actually located, drafted and stockpiled talent. They were willing to accept several years of losing in order to rebuild and it worked in both cases.

Sadly, neither the Mets nor the Jets were willing to take that route but instead, went with older plugins that perhaps had a year or two left in them. Both teams pretty much plummeted in almost the same manner. The Mets are cash strapped so they need fans in the seats to stay solvent. The Jets aren't in that situation but they refused to go full rebuild until last year. The Jets didn't have to tank last year simply because they were only good enough to keep games close with the good teams. They were gonna lose 11 games even if McCown didn't get hurt. Playing Petty and not playing Hack spoke volumes about the talent at the most important position. It also spotlighted just how stupid the FO and its top notch scouts were in prior years of Macc's regime.

Those 2 wins made some fans feel good, but if we had lost 13 games instead of 11, perhaps we could have kept our 2nd round picks and still got Darnold. Macc and the franchise got lucky for the first time since 1969 so perhaps the curse of Namath is over and Lucifer gave Joe his soul back. Either way, regret over 11 losses instead of 13 is meaningless.

As the saying goes: " Regret isn't worth the effort you put into it because its always too late.."

#9 Cman68, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    K'OB and Peebag like this.
  10. FJF

16 weeks of the year I get to cheer on( mostly unsuccessfully)my beloved jets. I’m not giving any of those weeks up for a better draft pick

11. FJF

If your fo/cs can locate talent there would be no need to tank. Just ask packer fans.

Brook!, Cman68 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, had this discussion before, so I'm not going to resurrect it again. As sick as the Jet's road has been, always in no man land, loose when it counts and win once eliminated, im not a believer in tanking and some disagree. So be it. If it happens it might give us more ammunition and I'll take it. But I'm still always rooting for a win. Now with Darnold, I'm rooting even more so than ever. Loosing leaves a sour taste in your mouth, and after a while it kills the spirit.
    I'm more concerned about the approach the CS will take. If the season goes totally south, against higher competition, and we get eliminated early, do we put Sam in and let him take his lumps and learn on the job? If we do, I'm rooting like crazy for him to win every game. That's my only outlook. If good old McCown comes strolling in for these meaningless games I'll be so disgusted at the approach I couldn't care less one way or the other. But still rooting for a win, albeit knowing it might screw us in the long run.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

'fans' who think tanking is the only way to build a team can't explain how teams like NE stay on top and NEVER have good, early picks, sometimes for 10 years in a row. Having Brady only goes so far, and having Brady does nothing for the Defensive side of the ball, yet teams like NE can field a very competitive team on all three sections, offense, defense, and teams, year after year after year.

Coaching, Scouting, Owner, etc is far more important than tanking to get up a few spots in the draft. 'fans' who scream and cry and carry on when we win a game late in the season are pathetic. They should just log-off and come back in 10 years. \

Anyone hoping our team loses should be banned from TGG for life.

BudJet, NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

This.

You only root for a tank (which, again, has no effect on the actual product on the field) when you are looking for the franchise QB.

No Jet fan should be rooting for a tank next year in the hopes of getting a LT or Rush OLB or a CB. Or a better draft position.

You ONLY root for a tank for the QB. We lucked into that. We’re done with tanking.

All else it’s about the wins.

So let it be written.

So let it be done.

15. Rollo Tomassi

Fixed that for you.

Every QB from Bart Starr to Don Majkowski says hi.

Peebag likes this.
  16. Rollo Tomassi

Hahahahahaaaa.

Haha.

Good one.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. 6 times in 15 years this crappy team has finished 6-10 or worse & only once has had a top 5 pick.

You guys Keep on cheering your novelty 4th win of the year sometime around christmas & hold your head high like your somehow a better fan bc of it.Next year or so rinse & repeat.

Peebag and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Rollo Tomassi

So you’re not going to be reveling those two meaningless wins for years and years when we instead could have had three 2nd round picks that might have been an OLB, a Guard and RB?

But WE BEAT THE BILLS and got to dance like slapdicks!!

That’s certainly more important than maybe 3 players that could have helped us in the future.

5-11 fuck yeah, SO much better than 3-13.

#18 Rollo Tomassi, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

You're either rooting for your team to win or if to tank, you're rooting for them to lose. None of this wish you washy, I rooted for the tank but not to lose.

And then out of the other side of your mouth complain about fans be happy for beating the Bills.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rooting has no impact on wins or loses.

Rooting to win does not help winning, rooting to lose does not cause losing.

It’s not that complicated.

If folks want to be happy about beating the Bills, that’s great. Or beating the Jags or whomever.

If we had not massively lucked into Darnold, those wins would have massively sucked.

NCJetsfan likes this.