One Jets Drive (documentary)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Jul 4, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Got the wife the boys XL...it's a life hack 20$ savings over the regular version.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Ya gots to go retro and get a regrettable tattoo...

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

If what you said is true, that's awesome! Sam is a team player who has respect for his teammates. That's a sure sign of leadership. I hope Sam's transition to the pro game is fast, smooth, and ends up being the pick everyone on this board wanted. I hope we have 10-15 years of all-pro play, lots of playoff games, and a few Lombardi's!
    Cleveland taking Mayfield was funny to me. Mayfield will end up a flop I bet. They should have taken Barkley at 1, and whoever was left 2 picks later. Mayfield at #1 was a joke.

FJF likes this.
  4. tbruner12

Farve/Rogers all over again in NY Giants, if Sam went #2.
    Nobody wants to go to Cleveland, I'm sure Sam was happier tI come here, unless the $$$ difference from #1 to #3 is big. From what I've seen, playing and winning is more important to Sam than the money difference.
    I hope his knack for making plays out of nothing, isn't rivaled by his knack of turning the ball over. Other than that, I believe Darnold is in a good place and all of us JET fans will be happy when he takes the keys and starts driving.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Not just you. I wrote him off because it appeared we'd never get him. So I was critical of his release in rationalizing it was okay we weren't getting him. The Jets had written him off too if TB's pre-draft presser was any indication. They must have been giddy when he fell to them.

Upon closer look his release is faster than I thought it looked. His arm is fast. I wouldn't be surprised if his release was relatively fast, as it was, in terms of being timed. But he's definitely working on getting his release more efficient and it shows already. The first clips of him showed he was conscious of it.

#45 Walt White, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Big Cat likes this.
  6. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

It is true, Jordan Palmer’s father in law tailgates with us, and i’ve bought my season ticket through him for years. We heard that story that Sam told Jordan he hoped it would rain when he was throwing on his Pro Day. The Jets FO saw a large portion of his teammates come out to watch him on his Pro Day, cheering him on.

We saw him after practice one time, helping the equipment guys taking stuff in to McKay.

Coach Helton was asked on the NFL channel to describe Sam in one word. His response was “selfless”.

It’s the off season, and nothing much to discuss, but hope you all like hearing these little tid bits about Sam...I’m staying out of all the “which QB should start” discussions, lol.

#46 TrojanPride, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. Walt White

Word. Building that rapport from jump street.

8. tbruner12

I'm sure you have met Jordan Palmer too? That's cool in itself.
    "Selfless", is a rare word in pro sports. I said before the draft, I only wanted Darnold or Rosen, of which both of them have me worried. One turnover prone, the other accident prone respectively. Truthfully I leaned toward Rosen, but little tid bits like "selflessness" leans me toward Darnold. It's not something that is measured at the combine, but means a great deal to the players and staff.
    Especially when things go bad on the field. I'm sure he will hold himself accountable and those around him.
    Keep the tid bits coming.
    Hopefully the best QB plays day 1, whether it's Darnold, McCown, or Bridgewater. I want wins!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well there is 3 WEEKS TO TC!!! Counting the days...thank God

Yes this a tide turning pick up in Sam D...the guy knows the pressure to live up to all the hype and he doesn't look to leave anything to chance

So we go from total egotists like Mevi$ $heldon and lazy Mo Wilk to someone ready to take responsibility whether he is making 20 Mil or 200k...wow ...have we finally paid our dues???????

10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

His release was never slow though his motion at times could get long. He worked on it a year ago and again this offseason. His motion was noticeably shorter at his pro day. The kid seems to have worked hard at his motion. Seems like he's one of those athletes who won't rest on his laurels and will continue to work throughout his career.

11. Walt White

Right. I equated the long release with taking too much time in the NFL. I think many people did that. Part of that was me rationalizing that we weren't getting him anyway because of all the media and mocks and I really didn't look that closely at him. But the more I looked the more I realized he's very strong armed and the ball comes out very quickly anyway.

I believe you have to see him up close to really see that arm strength and speed well and fully appreciate it like the all the scouts that did see him up close.

The more close ups of him pre-draft, pro day, and at camp etc. made it more apparent tho. The fact that it was obvious he's working on it right away made it more impressive. I don't really think it's as big an issue as some people are saying and the fact that the Jets told him so doesn't surprise me.

Part of my point is the stuff about his release doesn't bother or worry me very much. He can flat out fling it. I know my first impression was wrong because it wasn't objective.

#51 Walt White, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    LF911SC and FJF like this.
  12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

More tidbits, please. This is like mashing Cheez-its, gold fish crackers, fake bacon bits, and cheese in a can together in a bowl. You try to resist, but resistance is futile. You hate to admit it's delightful, but it is. Here's to small guilty pleasures.

Thanks, TrojanPride. I really do hope you stick around for the long haul. I can't wait until Sam Darnold takes his first NFL snap. Maybe you'll start cheering for the Jets when it happens.

Bowles Movement and TrojanPride like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Darnold from the beginning. But it sounds like you're also rationalizing now but in the other direction.

14. Walt White

My honest opinion is that his release is fine. It appeared long to me before the draft but I hardly watched him. I said that a couple times here also. But I never really said I didn't like him. I just wasn't really equipped at that time to give a good opinion. I thought we were gonna end up with Mayfield or Rosen, who I watched a lot more. But Sam was wowing scouts at the workouts and that I didn't ignore

Upon closer inspection the ball comes out fast imo. I would bet if there's stats out there that time releases his would be good right now, even before. That would be further proof that my initial reaction to him was not objective.
    Because of the release talk and my first notions I've watched closely to see if there's a reason to give me pause or to make me worry about him as a draft pick so not to give myself false hope.

As far as that goes I feel really good about him now. I'm not ascared :) And I'm not ascared to say it either. Imo it won't be about his release whether he succeeds or not. That I'll commit to right now on here :)

With Sam it will be about what's going on between his ears. That remains to be seen. All drafts picks have negatives in their reports. That one about about Sam's release is overrated imo.

#54 Walt White, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  15. It doesnt take long to dispell the Darnold Long release myth.Just watch any of the dozens of throws he makes when the play breaks down w Multiple unblocked defenders within arm’s lengths of him & he almost in a single motion sets his feet & delivers w accuracy.

The release looks funky & seems like it would cause a delay but ive yet to see a throw where the ball’s out late due to mechanics.

Its a similar ordeal to that of Phillip Rivers when he came out. His was even funkier than Darnold’s

16. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Agree. I think many that didn't like him before the draft just didn't follow him enough because the assumption was that he was going 1st. His moron never was an issue and even less so today.

17. Walt White

What? LOL

Just kidding, I know what you meant. Exactly, lotta fans did that I think.

LF911SC likes this.
  18. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Hue comes across really poor in that clip as well. How any coach goes 1-31 and doesnt get fired is beyond me. Their talent is not that bad. Mayfield is not Manziel he has much more ability, but I do think that all the prospects sort of wound up in the best place for them.

The series the Jets are doing is truly excellent.

19. Over the last 5 years or so I've grown really tired of the Browns. They always seem to have the most cap space, most draft picks & alot of hot air in the offseason. The media talking them up in July & then burying them by Halloween has become clockwork. Thats before you get to Haslem & Hue who are very unlikeable at this stage. That said I do feel sorry for Browns fans & would like to see them rewarded for their loyalty. The talent they've assembled is hard to deny..but it's gonna be hard to climb out of a 1-31 hole w. the same head coach along the way.

Excellent point about the QBs.They all seemed to land in their optimal spot. I go back & fourth about Rosen though. Cards are my NFC far distant second team. While they've made strides in recent years under Steve Kline they are still the cardinals. They themselves have never drafted a franchise QB unless Jake Plummer,Matt Leinart or Tom Tupa suit one's fancy. Beyond that leadership has historically been a problem. Thats changed w. Fitzgerald & Patterson stepping up..but Fitz is definitely nearing the end.It's interesting that Rosen comes in w. these leadership concerns..I'm definitely rooting for it to work...

20. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Chips and salsa are my downfall....add quacamole to nachos, I'm gorging myself.

I'm really falling for this team and fans, add that you now have our Big Cat and Sam...I'm dubbing you the TroJets! I'm going to have to pick up an NFL package to watch the games. Wish I could get out there for a game and a shopping trip to NYC!

Brook! and HomeoftheJets like this.