SGB - Round 1 grades for picks and trades!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 27, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) Cleveland - Baker Mayfield - Grade D
    I laughed pretty hard at this, it's the typical same old browns moce you'd expect. after trading down from spots that netted wentz and watson in consecutive years, they finally dig in and take a QB 1st overall, only for it to be the 4th best QB in the draft. An undersized character issue QB from a spread offense. They actually managed to draft someone that will replace johnny manziel in Cleveland as the latest joke. Only reason it's not an F is because they took a QB at least

2) NYG - Saquon Barkley - Grade A
    I should give it an A+, but it's just to obvious of a pick to give them that type of credit. at the 2nd overall spot they land the best player in the draft and a huge need for their team and an exciting player to their offense

3) NYJ - Sam Darnold - Grade A+
    The jets moved up to 3 to land a QB, and they wind up getting the best one in the class making the move look like a great idea. They didn't exactly suck for sam, but the sucked enough to be able to trade up for him.

4) Cleveland - Denzel Ward - Grade C
    The browns wanted a CB and got the best pure CB in the draft here, but passing on nelson and chubb here is rough, they could have even traded down for more picks so it's only a C

5) Denver - Bradley Chubb - Grade A+
    Denver lands the best defensive player in the draft in the 5th overall spot, pairing chubb with von miller is going to be dangerous.

6) Indy - Quinton Nelson - Grade A+
    I had mocked the colts taking nelson here, it was the right move and they get the best lineman in the draft at 6 which is much needed to help out luck

7) Bills - Josh Allen - Grade B+
    The bills geared up for this draft to land a FQB. I'll give them a B+ for making ti happen without selling the farm, I understand the love for allen, but feel like rosen is the much better choice here which is why they don't get the A

Trade grades
    Bills Gave up 2 2nd round picks to move up 5 spots in the 1st and get back a 7th rounder. Grade - A
    It's a great tarde for the bills, they got to keep their other 1st round pick and gave up 2 2nd rounders to jump past miami at all and beat out anyone else for a trade (which later happened) to get their QB

TB moved back 5 spots and got 2 extra 2nd round picks and gave up a 7th as well. Grade A+
    this is a trade that worked well for both teams. With the depth in this draft, TB gets an additional 2 starters. on top of that with 2 QBs going between their picks, it's really like they only moved back 3 spots.

8) Chicago - Roquan Smith - Grade A+
    I had mocked ward to them but with cleveland reaching for ward, taking an ILB is a great mvoe for chicago. It wasa toss up for me between smith or edmunds, can't fault chicago for taking either. SMith should anchor that defense for the next decade

9) SF - Mike Mcglinchy - Grade C
    Yeah they got the best OT in the draft, but it was quite a reach at 9th overall. In a draft that seen 8 trades in the 1st, I feel like the niners could have got more capital and traded back and still got him. possibly a trade back to 15 with the cards who traded up to 10. I had mocked mcglincy going 20th overall

10) Arizona - Josh Rosen - Grade A+
    Thanks to the bills and browns failing pretty hard, the Cards benefit for getting the 2nd best QB in the draft with the 10th pick. Jumping miami at 11 who could have been looking at him.

Trade grades
    Arizona gave up a 3rd and 5th round pick to move up 5 spots. not a lot of capital so they get an A

Oakland got an extra 3rd in a deep draft and a 5th to slide back 5 spots, originally was giving them a B, however they traded that 3rd round pick to the steelers for bryant so essentially to move back 5 spots they landed a young stud WR as well as a 5th round pick so they get an A+ in my book

11) Miami - Minkah Fitzpatrick - Grade A+
    was considered a top 5 talent in the draft was a steal for miami at 11. a versatile S/CB with great ball skills

12) TB - Vita Vea - Grade A+
    a stud DT that now joins a crazy line of JPP, Mccoy, and curry. TB's pass rush is going to be a hassle this year

13) Redskins - Da'ron Payne - Grade A+
    a monster in the middle at NT, the skins realize they need to fix their defense if they wan to win games and grab someone who can dominate the LOS

14) Saints - Marcus Davenport - Grade F
    A curious and terrible move for the saints. No reason to move up to 14 for davenport who many didn't even have a 1st round grade on. I figured the move would have been for a QB (jackson) or to land james or edmunds, two top 10 players that fell, but instead the reach for a guy who likely would have been there when they picked at 27 anyway

Trade
    NO - to move up 13 spots they gave up a 5th rounder this year and their 1st rounder next year. It makes no sense to give up 2 1st rounders and a 5th to move up for a DE not even rated as a 1st round player. Grade F

GB - slid back 13 spots and gets an additional 1st round pick next year and an extra 5th this year. I had GB sliding back in my mock draft as well anyway and they got great value so Grade A+

15) OAK - Kolten Miller - Grade D
    They traded back but then still reached for a 2nd round prospect? If they wanted a tackle Orlando brown was still on the board, If they wanted o-line there were better prospects at the G and C position, but this is a draft where lots of teams reached for lineman.

16) Bills - Trumaine Edmunds - Grade A+
    a top 5 prospect by many, the billd moved up from 22 to 16 to grab him. a beats who should anchor their defense for the next decade.

Trade
    Bills - the bills jumped up 6 spots and gave up a 3rd rounder for that, while getting back a 5th as well. based on the value they got with edmunds it was well worth the pick. Grade A

Ravens - they moved back 6 spots here for the extra 3rd rounder. Balt was keen on moving back a lot during this draft due to it's depth. You could argue they should have taken edmunds but the extra picks will help rebuild their team quicker then 1 stud player will so Grade B+

2. GasedAndConfused

17) LAC - Derwin James - Grade A+
    How the best pure safety in the draft fell to 17 is beyond me, but LAC is building a tough defense. too bad it's to little too late in rivers career

18) Packers - Jaire Alexander Grade C
    Not really sure about this one. there were better players on the board as well as better CBs like Josh jackson. not to mention they traded up for him

Trade
    GB - moved up 9 spots for a reach and got a 7th rounder back. also gave up a 3rd and and 6th rounder. Grade D

Sea - got an extra 3rd and 6th rounder to slide back 9 spots and gave up a 7th as well. solid trade. grade B

19) Dallas - Leighton Vander Esch - Grade B+
    reminds me a lot of urlacher in his younger days. I had him slated going 21 to cincy and dallas steals him from them. should anchor the D for a long time.

20) Detriot - Frank Ragnow - Grade C-
    they needed to improve their o-line but a big reach at center. I had at least 3 lineman above him still they could have slid back

21) Cincy - Billy Price - Grade D
    Maybe this is why detriot took ragnow, they thought cincy would here with vander esch gone? that's my best guess but price was a 2/3 round guy. huge reach

22) Ten - Rashaan Evans - Grade A
    the titans slid up to grab a good prospect and the best OLB avialable

Trade
    Ten - gave up a 4th to get a 6th and move up 3 spots. not much given up at all to land their player who was a good value pick as well. the pats or panthers could have taken him so Grade B+

Balt - got to move up 2 rounds from the 6th to the 4th to slide back 3 picks in the late 1st so solid value. Grade A-

23) NE - Isiah Wynn - Grade A-
    Best lineman avilable so typical NE "BPA" style pick and they need o-line help especially after losing solder. Wynn is more of a guard then a tackle nut they announced him at tackle so NE may look to convert him which is why the A- and not the A+ when they could have landed orlando brown or connor williams instead

24) Carolina - DJ Moore - grade A
    Carolina needs some WR help, while I have riddley and sutton ranked higher there isn't much difference separating them. DJ moore compliments funchess betetr then ridley or sutton though as a speedster with good size and ball skills. They needed mroe speed at WR and that's what moore gets them so good pick

25) Balt - Hayden Hurst = Grade C+
    I didn't have any TEs going in the 1st, so this is an odd pick, however at least they knew they could trade back for more picks and still land him so it gets a passing grade overall but barely

26) ATL - Calvin Riddley - Grade A+
    they falcons land the best WR in the draft with the 26th pick who should pair nicely with Julio. Great value pick and fills a big need

27) Sea - Rashaad Penny - Grade D-
    I don't get this at all. There were at least 4-5 RBs ranked higher then penny. Many had him avilable in the 3rd still. Sea came out and said another team was going to take him in the 1st, but i'm not a fan of reaching for a player because another team will. They could have gotten a better RB in the 2nd round

28) Pitt - Terell Edmunds - Grade D-
    another bad pick. over ried and harrison? not sure taking the 3rd best available safety makes sense. they traded away bryant as well, taking a WR like sutton here would have made a lot of sense or insurance in case they can't keep bell for 2019

29) Jax - Tavon Bryan - Grade F
    seriously jaxonville? A team with an excellent defense and no offense takes a DT? who isn't even BPA or the Best DT out there? Jax needed an offensive spark. A lineman would have been nice, maybe even jackson since bortles is on the way out. maybe replace a WR since they lost robinson and herns their 2 starting WRs and take sutton here. I really don't understand how WR , o-line, or QB isn't the pick

30) Minn - Mike Huges - grade B+
    Minn has very little needs, Huges is a smart pick with rhodes likely out the door next year. I like josh jackson better personaly but it's still a solid pick

31) Sony Michel - Grade D-
    odd pick from NE. they have white, hill, burkehead, and gillisee already. so they take a RB in a deep class with other one's out there. Guice would have made more sense if they were going to take a RB i don't get this at all

32) Balt - Lamaar Jackson - Grade A-
    getting jackson as the last pick in the 1st round is a good value to me. Qbs are always over drafted anyway and jackson could have went top 15. They traded back up to pull this off. Flacco isn't getting any younger and his ceiling is a decent starter. Jackson could unseat him in a few years and has no pressure to start any time soon so smart pick

Trade
    Balt gave up their 2nd rounder this year and next year plus a 4th this year to get the 32nd overall pick and a 4th rounder back. in short they moved down 7 spots in the 4th round and gave up a 2nd next year to mvoe up their 2nd rounder into the 1st. great value. Grade A+

Philly gets an extra pick next year to move down from the 1st to the late 2nd and mvoe up a little in the 4th. poor value. they could have taken a good player here or got extra picks in this deep draft. Grade D-

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

4. GasedAndConfused

5. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

15) OAK - Kolten Miller - Grade D
    They traded back but then still reached for a 2nd round prospect? If they wanted a tackle Orlando brown was still on the board, If they wanted o-line there were better prospects at the G and C position, but this is a draft where lots of teams reached for lineman.

When you have K Osemele, R Hudson and Gabe Jackson as your interior Offenseline . You aren't drafting any guard or Center prospect who will be riding the bench.( not beating those studs out)
    The Raiders have to keep Derek Carr healthy . They were forced to address the tackle position in the draft.
    Let's see you have still effectiveLT Donald Penn coming off a serious injury( soon have to replace) , and a big hole at the right tackle position.( Breno Giacomini might have started- we know how bad he is , and would get Carr killed playing against the elite pass rushers in the Afc West.

Now while K Miller tape might not warrant a first grade selection, he tested out as well athletically as any offense lineman has .( rare to find a big man with that athletic ability) . Offense line coaches believe they can coach him up. ( can't teach athletic ability) The Patriots would have took him with their first round pick.( traded with the 49ers for a tackle after the Raiders took him- tells you they were targeted him).

Last point in the system Tom Cable ( Raiders offense line coach )runs Orlando Brown doesn't fit.(Ol need to be able to get out to the second level- Not Brown's game. K Miller is much more comfortable at Rt(played more years there, and probably will be asked to play there in 2018. ( before taking over LT in 2019). Can O Brown be a LT in the NFL? Might not be athletic enough to survive there. ( Miller defintely has athletic ability to play there).

Yes Raiders might have reached for both offense lineman ( k Miller first) and B Parker in third. Now throw in last year fourth round tackle D Sharpe( needs to drop at least 15 pounds before he's serious option for RT)
    They have some serious options at tackle for the future.
    Hopefully the Jets don't neglect the offense line ,now they have hopefully their franchise Qb.

#5 Ohnoit'sGeno, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  6. GasedAndConfused

I'm not going to fault them for loading up on o-line. it's a smart thing to do in their position. but grading the draft all goes on getting value. just because another team was willing to reach doens't mean it negates their reach. It may work out for them, it may not. we won't know for 3ish years

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Good analysis! I agree with most of it.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

thanks!

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Think about this......the Browns could ( and should have ) taken Darnold at #1 and Chubb at #4 getting the best QB and the best defensive prospect...imagine having Chubb and Myles Garrett...yikes

10. GasedAndConfused

it could have happened for sure but the browns are the browns. had that happened the giants still likely take barkely 2nd and the jets take a QB which could have been mayfield (gross) or rosen (can't complain). i'm happy the browns are bad at drafting and i'm sure denver is as well with chubb falling into their lap at 5

11. Ohnoit'sGeno

Here is the deal for me. The Raiders drafted Kolton Miller to be their eventually left tackle, and Donald Penn's successor. Probably would be asking too much if you expected him to play left tackle this year( only played last year at LT , as he's been a RT the previous two years). Has all the physical ability to be a top left tackle, but definitely needs work there.( isn't a finished product there).

Well if you assume Donald Penn is going to be their left tackle, than that frees up Kolton Miller to play RT (major hole on last year line for the Raiders) this year, and than move over the following year to left tackle. Kolton Miller playing his more natural RT Jmo isn't a reach . He will be a bigtime addition to their offense line , and pay huge dividends his first year .( upgrades the Offenseline tremendously- forget three years.

An Offenseline of LT Donald Penn , Lg K Osemele C Rodney Hudson RG Gabe Jackson and RT Kolton Miller is pretty good unit.
    The problem arises if Donald Penn has a setback in his recovery, and they need Kolton Miller to play LT this year. ( that's where it gets dicey )

It's all about protecting Derek Carr . Has been hurt the last two years ( broken leg, broken back in week four last year) . As Carr goes , that team will go. Drafting K Miller will prove to be a wise investment his first year.

Btw the Raider offense lineman I'm looking for for the Jets. Jylan Ware is a developmental prospect that has zero chance of making the Raiders this year. Since they already has three young prospects at tackle( K Miller, B Parker, and D Sharpe) they will go with experience over more youth. Only reason B Giacomini ( garbage) will make it over way more talented Ware

It's time for the Jets to start bringing in as much competition as possible on the Offense line, now that they think they have their franchise Qb.

#11 Ohnoit'sGeno, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  12. mrjet80

Well there will be a lot of changes with the Jets O Line beginning next offseason......I see a new LT with Beachum's contract expiring, and two new guards. I can see the Jets sliding Long over to LG and drafting a new C. I say the Jets will have 2 or 3 new bodies on the OL in 2019.....

13. Ohnoit'sGeno

All great offense lines need cohesiveness on the offense line. Only way you get that is by a collective group playing together( takes time) . Why you worry about radically changing the makeup of that Ol in one year.( three potential new starters )

Do you want to put Darnold out in front of offense line that isn't used to playing together. All it takes is to have a miscommunication on the offense line, and they leave a pass rusher all alone ( free shot) on Darnold.

The Jets believe they have their franchise Qb, now you have start building the pieces to protect that investment.

14. mrjet80

They're not going to have a choice......I think they would have moved on from Beachum this year had his contract been more cap friendly. Carpenter is in the last year of his contract I think and they will not resign him at this point....I'm just guessing they slide Long over maybe they just get a new left side....but the OL as currently constructed is slightly below average and aging in some spots. Why not reconstruct it or the majority in one offseason and move from there.....yeah there will be communication problems and some growing pains but I don't see much choice...besides Mac has shown a tendency to double dip and try to fix an entire position in one helping ( off season )...the 2 safeties one year, LBs another....the WRs back to back ...etc

#14 mrjet80, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Still laughing pretty hard?

Holy shit. Laughing pretty hard at this.

16. GasedAndConfused

funny enough a year later

osemele is gone (traded to jets)
    Miller failed as a LT (was awful) and is now moved to RT (and likely will fail there like erik flowers did)
    they paid big money for a free agent LT

i only checked back on this cause another discussion over the jets o-line and not drafting them high and miller is a perfect example of why we shouldn't reach for a subpar o-lineman out of desperation

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're the only one that mentioned reaching for an OL.