Jets WRs - proves value is there late and the jets do a good job

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

People forget about Charone Peake because they haven't seen him play since ever

2. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

His problem is staying on the field He fell to the 7 the Rd because he couldn't stay healthy in college His pro experience is hardly better

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I mean the idea is pretty bad. for 2018 kearse is much needed. Q and pryor are both injury risks as of now. which means if we traded kearse our top 3 WRs would be anderson, handsen and stewart. that's pretty thin. If pryor and Q prove to be healthy that's a different story. but for 2018 we need kearse. also for teddy he could be our starting QB. But he could also blow out a knee. dropping him leaves us with just mccown and darnold. a 39 year old journeyman and a rookie. You have to plan better then that

4. GasedAndConfused

I really liked him in the draft. I actually mocked him to the jets in like the 6th round IIRC. i was happy when we took him in the 7th but he hasn't shown enough to be mentioned and also has been banged up at times too

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I guess he's Peaked :oops:

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

A decent-solid group. If Robby stays healthy and gets a little stronger then he can be real good. Enunwa has the tools but just needs to make sure the drops are behind him. Kearse is a pro. Very solid, smart player.

7. Im 100% w you man.If a player isnt part of the long term plan & they have trade value lets move them.Simple as that.

I think folks who disagree w that have higher expectations for this coming season & are thinking short term.Time will tell who is right but if this season goes how we expect with or without the likes of Kearse,Bridgewater & Powell this is gonna be a mighty salty place come the holiday season. Personally id rather have a few more draft picks or even a long term answer at pass rusher than short term rentals

themorey and tomdeb like this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of future Peake has now that Hanson has emerged. Plus someone like Andre Roberts who has value on ST. We don't have super high end talent at WR but we have outstanding depth. Peake is way down in the pecking order

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I would agree with you if the jets had not resigned McCown and not have about 15 WRs on their current roster. If Kearse is so good as you suggest ("much needed"), why did the jets have 17 WRs on their offseason roster at one point (I think they are down to 15 now)? They have so many WRs on the roster how can they even evaluate all of them during the preseason games? If you have three QBs you think might play, then you have none. Bridgewater and Kearse have some value now with Tampa Bay's QB out for the first three games. No, the jets don't have the balls like the Pats do to trade a Richard Seymour or Brandon Cooks and get a high future pick like I suggested. They'll do what YOU want--hang onto ALL the old vets like Kearse and Bridgewater and McCown and keep Chad Hansen and Darnold on the bench. Todd Bowles loves the old vets to take him to mediocrity at best, while not developing anyone with potential. After another 5-11 season in 2018 under Todd toilet, they might wish they had made a move now like I suggest since they currently have no second round pick in 2019. But I doubt it.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I have my issues with Bowles and have doubts that he is the coach who will take the Jets to the playoffs and win a Lombardi Trophy, but disagree with the idea that he plays the vets over young players. He played 2 rookie safeties last year and Anderson got plenty of time on the field in 2016. If Darnold outplays his 2 competitors in TC and the preseason, I have no doubt Bowles will start him in week 1. There are some here who wanted him to start Petty or Hack last year when it was clear that neither was ready to start. As I've said before, my main issues with Bowles have to do with his in game decision making and general conservative mindset of playing to not lose.

11. GasedAndConfused

none of that is remotely true. especially the bowles doens't play rookies. lee, maye, adams all started every game as a rookie. why would TB trade for a QB who may blow out his knee at any time for 3 games. they will run with fitz and winston is their QB after that.

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Your latest post quoted above makes more sense to me than most of the responses to my proposed OFFER. I merely suggested the jets consider OFFERING WR Kearse and QB Bridgewater for Tampa's (likely high) 2nd round pick next year. Most of the responses poured in that Kearse and Bridgewater are so good and so valuable (really?) that the jets would literally be writing off the 2018 season by moving such valuable commodities as Kearse and Bridgewater (which I found laughable). At least your latest response suggests to skip even making the offer because Teddy's injury history would scare off the other team. I don't necessarily agree, but it makes more sense than the other responses implying that Tampa Bay would immediately accept the offer since the jets were supposedly giving up way too much for a 2nd round pick next year.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

i mean you have to look at both sides

kearse is close to hitting 30, TB seems content with their young WR group and evans as their 1. They already have their FQB in winston who is only missing 3 games and fitz to hold the fort for those games who was with TB last season and knows the system. Teddy is an injury risk and was a FA that many teams didn't look at for that reason and is on a 1 year prove it deal with us. kearse is in his final year. we got him and a 2nd for sheldon putting kearses value at maybe a 5th or 4th at best. If i was TB no way i would give up a 2nd rounder for that package. If winston got injured and teddy proved to be healthy maybe but it makes no sense for them to give up so much for 2 players on their final year of a deal, 1 is an injury risk with 0 chance to start after week 3 and would need to learn the system and beat fitz to even play in those first 3 weeks, and one is a disposable almost 30 YO WR.

There is also the off chance that teddy wins our starting job in which case why would we trade our starting QB? even if he doesn't he's at least solid depth for us. if mccown wins there is still a chance teddy and/or sam play this year as well. I honestly don't expect any of our Qbs to start all 16 games unless sam wins and doens't screw up badly which is a tall order for a rookie QB. Kearse i wouldn't mind letting go but only if we didn't have 2 other injured WRs in Q and pryor. if both prove to be healthy sure we can move him. maybe at best a 5th or 6th rounder but nothing like a 2nd. and again we still need to see if those 2 are healthy

So realistically speaking the trade makes 0 sense for either side. TB won't want to give up a good pick for them, and the jets have more of a need for them in 2018 then TB does.

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So people saying he is "good" or "productive", now equals calling him, "the second coming of Jerry Rice"? The closest I could see to that would be "Kearse is a great WR to have for a young QB like Darnold. I hope he stays with the Jets for the next couple seasons.", which is a fair statement but nowhere close to calling him Jerry Rice.

You also left out the fact you said Bridgewater's trade value is high? Most people correctly pointed out that if he plays good in preseason and maybe some into the regular season, then his trade value would be high, right now even Teddy knows his value is low, that's why he took the deal he did.

101GangGreen101, Walt White and FJF like this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Don’t expect a reply, he wouldn’t answer me when I asked him to quote someone equating kearse to rice.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Why would he. There's no way that trade was dumb and exhibited little thought.

After all some Mehta-ite in the media said Teddy could get traded, so it must be fact. Anything less than that shows Mac is a fucking idiot.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! You took that literally, didn't you? Watching you respond so vehemently to an offseason post (which merely suggested a possible trade) makes me think you should switch to decaf. God's peace to you, man.

18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You need to go read up on Torry Holt. Bonafide #1 for 8 years. Isaac Bruce did not have one year with more yards than him while they were both together.

19. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Jmo that is the most silly stat 4 Jet Wr with over 800 yards. Who cares As some of those team were pretty bad . ( someone had to get the ball thrown to them) .
    The Jets Wr Corp is average at best. There isn't a Jet Wr you can say put him down for 1,000 yard season. ( take it to the bank) I think some are over-rating the potential of this group.

The Jets Wr corps isn't the worst, but if Darnold ever going to develop , they need to upgrade this position bigtime.

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Robbie A would have hit 1000 if it wasn't for Petty.

I would say he will break that barrier this season imo of course.

Take that to the bank lol