Best Steakhouses in New York/New Jersey Area

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

One snowy night, the road up the hill to our house was closed for plowing. It was late and CB's was about to close but they kept the kitchen open, served us and a few refugees great steaks and only closed when the road reopened. We were loyal fans ever since. Even members of their club until they pulled out of PA.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

was there one of those in Bay Shore?

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dunno.. Perhaps but they've reorganized a bit so its hard to say.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's great Brook, you know your son sounds a lot like my little brother in school.

Around the same age he was having issues. Back then they didn't know as much about ADHD or at least not in our farm town but it could've been that for sure. He was particularly struggling in math. The teachers said he needed special ed tutoring in math and science. He was sad because he had to quit the school band in order to take the special classes and at the time he loved music. But something clicked and in a year or two he was blowing everyone away in math and science. To this day, Idk what the hell happened, it was like night and day like it sounds like with your kid.

he's a physics Ph.D. now and occasionally throws a bone to his blue collar peasant older brother btw. :) some people have this intense focus that just needs to be redirected, I think. Sounds like your son might be like that too and you have him on the right track. good work

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks BN. This really gives me hope. Appreciate it.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

My 2 favorite steakhouses:

http://www.rarestk.com/

This is in Wayne/Little Falls, NJ. I usually get their Cowboy steak (bone in rib steak) with the Gorgonzola mushroom topping. It's simply amazing. This place is professional. Great atmosphere and the waiters are trained experts and pretty much know everything about steaks and which wines go with which ones.

http://www.arthurstavern.com/

Arthur's Tavern is top notch as well. I usually go to the Morris Plains, NJ location but they do have another one now, I forget where. You can always expect a perfectly cooked steak that is extremely juicy. They also have the best french onion soup I've ever had. Their menu is simple but the quality is the best, and reasonably priced. If you like juicy perfect rare steaks, this is the place to go. If you are in Florham Park, checking out Jets practices, it's worth checking out and not too far from there.

#46 Sam Hammer, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Slagan7 and Brook! like this.
  7. Brook!

I know Arthur's. I have been going there for more than 10 years now. Great ambiance but not your upscale Steakhouse. Doesn't mean I don't love it. I do when I am in the mood. :)

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can't comment on NYC but Morris and Bergen have some great places.

Rod's/Red Dog's in Morristown (You can order from Rod's - upscale menu from Red Dog's - the sports bar)
    Roots - Morristown
    Arthur's - Morris Plains (think there is still a location in Bergen)
    Ruth's Chris (Parsippany-Troy Hills)
    The River Palm Terrace (Edgewater)

I typically only get ribeyes so I can't comment on the other cuts.

If you like BBQ, try Bailey's up in Blauvelt, NY (just over Bergen County boarder).

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just commented on Arthur's. For the price, you really can't beat it. I believe the other Arthur's is in Bergen. There used to be one in Emerson, NJ but it moved and I'm not sure where it went.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'm trying this J&K Steakhouse in Morristown tomorrow after my round of golf.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Also, TBH - It's tough to beat the USDA certified ribeyes from Costco.

I get 5 lbs of ribeyes for 50 bucks - which I can cook to my liking (135F). Which upscale place can you get 1 16oz ribeye (cowboy or not) for under 54?

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The one in Chatham smells like old people brah.

Also, these places with buffet salad bar, skeeve me out.

Brook! likes this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Also, ate at 90 Acres couple weeks ago, had the Wagyu steak and the beef tartar, they were fabulous.

Have a reservation at 11 Madison Park in August. Hopefully they blow my doors off with a beef option.

Brook! likes this.
  14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I can agree with that, but the quality of food itself is on par with many upscale places, they just don't have much variety. I've been to plenty of high ranked steak houses and left disappointed. Arthurs is basically like old faithful. :)

GQMartin and Brook! like this.
  15. Brook!

I am a sucker for their 24 oz steak. Medium for me. That is my reward to myself time to time. :)

16. Brook!

At the age of 40, I feel extremely young when I am there. Lol. But I like their salad bar. :)

Cman68 likes this.
  17. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Been to all the places on that list, except Rod’s and went to Roots in Ridgewood, and Mae of them hold a candle to any upscale steakhouse in Manhattan.

18. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Although I do like Arthur’s for what you’re paying, you just can’t beat a good quality prime, dry-aged steak. If money isn’t a factor, I will pick the latter over a non or wet aged choice cut steak every day of the weak, and twice on Sunday.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Try Rod's sometime. The dining room there is gorgeous, very Gatsby like. Or you can opt to eat in the vintage train cars which is a cool experience.

My wife and I were married at the Madison hotel and they served their renowned chateaubriand for dinner -- all cooked by the Rod's chefs.

If I had to say my favorite there is the 24oz Delmonico -- medium rare with a bleu cheese crust -- creamed spinach and onion strings on the side. :eek:

The beauty of a low carb diet is steaks and cheese baby.

Here's the menu:
    http://www.rodssteak.com/menu.html

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I've also been to a place called Seagar's (Florida) on a whim. I messed up my reservation (thinking I confirmed it online but failed to do so) so my wife and I rolled in there without a reservation and wound up in their private dining room.

Amazing experience.

They say it's "better than Ruth's" but I found no discernible difference other than the upscale service.

[​IMG]