Offer Bridgewater and Kearse...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Jun 24, 2018.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Tanking does not exist in the NFL. Sorry fans. You play to win every game. The term "meaningless wins" is an absolute misnomer. Drafting high in the first round guarantees nothing. It might give you a higher probability of success, but that is about it. If drafting high turns a team around quicker then Cleveland should have as many rings as the Patriots by now.
    We really shouldn't worry about tanking. It ain't happening. If we draft at the top is because we suck more than the rest, and that ain't really my definition of improving. My two cents

2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

1. You need to stop talking about how smart it would have been, how much better it would have been to tank, lose, whatever and then claim you never said what youre saying. Taking the word tank out doesnt make it less of a tank.

2. No, if we would have finished 8-8, 9-7 we would have had to trade more to move up. We still could have gotten Darnold. Along with winning games, being in the playoff hunt, developing the youngsters and learning how to win.

3. Short sighted is crying about Darnold without trading up. That losing would have been better in the long term than 5 wins, all that goes with it and still landing the QB.

What I really dont get is that NFL teams dont tank but some fans openly root for it like this is the NBA. As if one friggen player will guarantee a teams future success.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. LF911SC

Call it what you want. They got it done. I'll never get why fans whine that we havent drafted a FQB and when we do complain about how we got him. Or call it pure luck.

Macc put us in position to pick Darnold, thats it

BudJet likes this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Who’s whining?

We lucked out incredibly and I am eternally thankful.

But even with Macs massive and brilliant move, it still took 2 professional organizations to fuck up royally to gift us Darnold.

5. LF911SC

A lot of the fanbase has complained that the Jets lucked into Darnold after they traded into the 3rd spot to get into position to pick Darnold. We need to just enjoy what we got and move on

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Jets don't have a franchise quarterback and have not had one since Joe Namath. With a little luck that may change in the next few years.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

1 your still inventing things I didn't say

2 you are delusional to think we could have traded up for Darnald at 3 from slot 16-22 or wherever we may have ended up, fuck, people were unhappy Mac traded away some 2nd rounders as it was.

3 Who is crying about Darnald ? I am overjoyed to get a top prospect, the statement was those two or three pointless wins cost us extra draft picks, is 2-14 any worse than 5-11 in the long run, a shit season is a shit season regardless.

And this is why we need more than one losing season during a rebuild, to get more than ONE player to give us a CHANCE of success, we have been shit for years what difference does two or three more losing seasons matter if it was giving us a chance of going for a superbowl ?

Last summer when this was a topic again, I wanted us to go 0-16 but remain competitive in every game, if we lost all 16 games by a single score (I did say it was highly unlikely and it was just a fantasy thought) then the team though losers would have shown a whole lot of promise and it would be an ideal base to build from, the number 1 pick in every round, trade power for Mac etc etc oh and Darnald without having to trade up.

To tank is to lose on purpose, I just wanted us to lose while remaining competitive, there is a huge difference.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Funny how things can be portrayed by the fan base. When the Jets strike gold with the pick, we call it luck, but when the competition does the same with their pick we call it brilliance. Go figure. All I know is that if we hit the jackpot with Darnold, the 2 second rounders will be soon forgotten. Hitting on a FQB don't happen often, the rest is gravy.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well I guess he means we were lucky that the Browns took Mayfield and the Giants took a RB, they could easily have taken a project qb as well.

I couldn't give two stuffs that he used the second rounders, he needed to if he wanted Darnald but there is still an element of luck attached, that the browns took a player some wouldn't piss on if he was on fire at number one.

10. If they arent meaningless wins than theyre perilous.Because they sure as hell havent done anything in the way of improving this team both short or long term. All its done is hurt draft stock.Repeatedly.This is not an isolated instance.Over & over again this team has been bottom of the barrel post Thanksgiving yet never seem to get lower than 4-12.

You mention “the probability of winning” w a higher draft pick.And thats the point. Maybe in a in year sample size thats not a big deal but when youre a team that doesnt draft well to begin w & has had a hard time landing top talent...you need all the help you can get.

Nobody is suggesting the team not try or purposely lose.But fans have every right to bitch when the team cant even get losing right or so it seems

Edit:

From a more cynical perspective, what does it say that all of these different coaching staffs/players over the years can get their act together against teams in contention as soon as the pressure is off?I guess once its about keeping their job suddenly winning comes into focus only to fade to oblivion sometime around April

#110 KurtTheJetsFan, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2018
    NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. There is an element of luck attached to every pick and to every team. Not just the Jets. That's my point. Luck when Miami was left with Marino, even luckier when the Pats took Brady. I think it was luck that Sam was there, but brilliant that the move at three guaranteed we would have gotten one of the better QBs in the draft.
    It Teddy regains form then luck and brilliance will go hand in hand.
    At this point I just want the Jets to win. Period. If we are competitive and still loose, so be it, but no more unimmaginative, boring, predictable shit shows led by a QB with no future, and a defense with no rudder.
    IMO. All eyes on the CS this year. We expect better.

NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

So does this mean we're not getting a 2nd round pick for a dude who still hasnt taken a hit in two years after devastating injury?

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Why does this vaguely sound like a champ post? Probably the cadence. :mad:

14. jetophile

Oh, you and your reasonableness, now cut that out.

#114 jetophile, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Cman68 likes this.
  15. jetophile

Cheating.

16. jetophile

With a little luck that may change in few years, what . . . ? Oh, I get it. Darnold already traded before one pro snap in the NFL. Franchise QB Draft 2021, baby! Woooooooooo!!!

17. mudcat21

mudcat21 New Member

I agree. Why trade Bridgewater if he proves to be our best QB going into the season.

NCJetsfan and CBG like this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

sowwy...

19. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Teddy if he does well heard he may be traded but that could lead to the rookie Sam Darnold starting week 1.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You are right as rain Kob

No worries ..the Bowles Kacy disaster will get us 3 wins even with practice time for young Darnold

Go back and take a look at one of my old posts with 2018 Season breakdown..ITS VERY HARD LINEUP

As constructed plus the putz Coaching going 8-8 is NOT realistic..unless someone here looks at game by game opponent and proves me wrong