Jets WRs - proves value is there late and the jets do a good job

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 29, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

With the third one, it's very likely the Jets will turn out better than predicted because it's impossible to be any worse. While I don't think we have the worst receivers in the league, I trust impartial rankings that consistently put us as below average to bad over a Jets forum thread that says we're doing a good job.

2. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

We don't have a Julio Jones but we have 4 wr that have had 800 yd seasons and there aren't other teams that do
    I like our depth If Anderson continues to improve the wr position won't hold back our QBs development

Brook!, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The Jets have more WR depth than most teams but lack a true #1 who can create mismatches and make the timely catch when needed. Maybe Robby can become that guy but he isn't yet. As a unit I don't think the Jets WRs are at the bottom of the league and more likely in the mid-20's. I think the top 6 guys (Anderson, Q, Kearse, Pryor, Hanson & Stewart) all fit the system really well and combine with some good pass catching RBs that could exceed expectations.

I agree with the OP about finding these diamonds in the rough at WR. I hope someday that Macc can find our Antonio Brown in the 6th round and put an end to our lack of a #1 WR.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Adequate would be the best word to describe the wr corps , with room to improve from there. Still think q will be a 1 wr in this league. He has the size speed strength the only thing that has held him back so far is the qb situation and his neck injury.
    Next year I predict the WRs will be q, Robbie,Hanson and everyone will be just fine with that.

#24 FJF, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Brook!, K'OB and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Not having a true #1 can make defending us a bit more challenging. Having good hands everywhere on the field is more dangerous than having great hands in one place and so-so hands everywhere else.

Our former HC would have little trouble taking out the other teams #1 threat. That's what teams game plan for. But teams like ours with no 'go-to guy' in a pinch means the ball could go anywhere and there will be good hands there to catch it. Far more random, far less predictable. Just need a QB that can read defenses and avoid the WR who the defense takes away.

There's usually a WR wide open, and ours will have good hands.

BacktoQueens and themorey like this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Naw, I earlier proposed that we consider trading Kearse and Bridgewater to Bucs for a high draft pick in 2019, and the experts on this board informed me that we should never move Kearse since he is as the second coming of Jerry Rice.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Let's unpack this statement.

First off, the vast majority of TGG members speaking out about this are only cautiously optimistic, it's a small minority that are making guarantees or wild claims. Ok cool you got us 4 articles stating that they believe the Jets WR's will be bad. 2 of those are from the same guy, I have never heard of any of those writers, and the only site I've heard of is Bleacher Report and as a BR app user I can tell you right now they are full of nothing but shit and click bait.

So how are these writers opinions more valid than the informed member of this forum?

Honestly I wouldn't expect the Jets WR corp to be ranked highly. I wouldn't rank it highly based on the great variance of outcomes that I have already stated. I don't think that makes anyone on here just blind-optimist-homers that are disregarding facts, and as I previously stated I would only expect someone who is a well informed observant student of the game to see it the same way that Jets fans who know these player would. A lot of that willingness to disregard the Jets is based on public perception but also notoriety of the name value with our WRs. The collective "we" on this forum weren't surprised by Robby's performance last year, we expected it. Do you think the nation at large did? How many of these people even knew who he was? How many of these writers even had him on their radar? What about Q, how many of these same people even know who he is or have any expectations for him at all?

Since you're brandishing the "homerisim" club let me ask you, what is your perception on these players? You must align your thoughts with these authors to come in here swinging your club about, feeling pretty good you just got a nice dose of confirmation bias.

Why?

8. FJF

No shit? Quote that for us. I read that thread pretty thoroughly and don’t remember jerry rice’s name ever coming up.

9. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I think the best word to describe this group is unknown. For that reason I can see why people would be skeptical, but if you rank them low under the premise of talent and potential then you're either not informed or have a distorted perception of reality. Which goes back to the whole public perception of the Jets and how that plays into the equation. I have no desire to read these arbitrary WR rankings, but one thing I know without even looking at them is that they have used the same criteria of potential and talent as a measure to elevate other teams corps over ours. I'm sure one could easily pick this apart but why try. The Jets are and have been the whipping-boy of the NFL for about the last 4 years, it's just too easy to scoff at any refute and lazily talk about the organization.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wasn't commenting on the cautiously optimistic posts, only the OP and thread title. The problem is the posters here aren't informed about any team except the Jets. So since they don't know the receivers on the other teams and want the Jets to be good, they'll overrate the Jets. This happens on every fan forum, check out another team's and watch them give super informed opinions that their players are underrated.

11. FJF

I think unknown is under rating them a bit.
    4 receivers that all recently have gone for 800 yards ,that’s a known quantity. We have 4 WRs we know can play in this league at as #2WRs and 3 who have the potential to be more than that in Robbie ,Q and Pryor. We need just one of them to command a double team and this offense will open right up

BacktoQueens likes this.
  12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I agree entirely with your perspective of the minority and the shock value of your wordage, personally I just wouldn't cite these goofball dime-a-dozen websites that are only trying to get clicks. It's just a poor method to prove a point. I think where I come out on the defense of some of this is that it's more complex than crediting unproven players unjustly. These players have proven their ability, it's other external factors that play into why someone should exercise skepticism.

We're on the same page, just not reading the same sentence. I also felt like by you defining them as "Adequate" was selling them short and is why I made comment. My position on calling them unknown isn't an incitement of their ability, quite the contrary. To reference back to my response above the unknown comes from external forces:

- Will Robby go to prison before the season starts for being Robby?, Certainly in the realm of possibilities.
    - Will Q take a blow to the head in pre-season that has him in the same position as Ryan Shazier?, I certainly hope not but spinal injuries are extremely tricky.
    - Will Pryor be the Redskins version of himself instead of the Browns version?, This is the most plausible of these 3 outcomes.

I'm a realist when I weigh out these outcomes. There are several factors that play in to what I'm about to say but I will make a claim evoking only 2 parameters about these 3 players in their 2018 season:
    1) Healthy to the point that doesn't compromise ability
    2) No one is sidelined by injury or suspension

I will make claim that if these two parameters are met by Q, Anderson, and Pryor the Jets will have a top 10 passing game in many categories with perhaps the exception to total yards.

#32 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Probably right. But to me these rankings for WRs without understanding the QB behind them don't mean two shits. Hard to pass judgment on our WRs without having one of the top QBs.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Good point about talent. Talent is everywhere in the NFL. It’s a matter of coaching it up and getting it pulling in the same direction. My opinion, anyhow.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I thought it was just me that was thinking are we maybe better off without a true number 1, the defence will never know who the hell we are going to throw it too lol

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Pair that with a QB who can consistently find that open guy and you're in business. Let's hope Darnold or Teddy turn out to be that guy.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

People keep sleeping on Charone Peake but the kid has size and talent.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is easy to forget a player when they drop out of the picture somewhat.

19. FJF

The nfl highway is littered with players with size and talent. Peake is done here. Maybe he gets a chance somewhere else but it’s going to be hard for him to get reps here now.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So did David Clowney.