Offer Bridgewater and Kearse...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A meaningless win - for a FAN - in a lost season is, well, a win!

2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

K'OB - Sorry, if the Jets get to 8-8 this year that means that a certain percentage of the players are improving. Isn't that what you want? Its definitely a step in the right direction IMHO.

It's almost as if you're saying that you can only draft good players ay the beginning part of draft rounds. That seems strange to me. Even though I definitely have doubts about Bowles I hope the D improves and the O becomes competent in 2018 -especially if Darnold or Bridgewater start a majority of the games.

I would much rather have an 8-8 season with players performing well than a 4-12 or another 5-11 season.

sec314 and FJF like this.
  3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Building a winner is a process. 5-11 to 8-8 is progress and something to build on for the whole team. Darnold is not the only young player on the team. We need to see progress from other draft picks from the last 3 years. If we go 4-12 then that means the players are not getting better. This is the ny jets not the ny darnolds. And again with the god damm draft position. I can’t believe we r doing this again fans more concerned about next years pick then winning football games after us winning to many games last year according to some of u. Don’t lecture me on the big picture I know at some point darnold needs to get some snaps. If that’s this year great but if teddy wins the job and we are on the edge of wild card contention in December then screw it teddy keeps on playing and darnold sits for a year. He’s 21 years old and not going anywhere. For me winning more games this year means we are getting better and became more talented and young vets are being coached up. Another 4 or 5 win season indicates our recent picks have not progressed and this coaching staff is not doing a good job teaching

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand where K'OB is coming from. Yes, good players can be found at other spots than just the beginning of the round, but in general, the better players (or at least the most high-rated) left go at the beginning of each round, and one has a choice of more players and positions, so it definitely gives an advantage to the teams picking early. Then there are always teams who want to move up to grab a player, so that also gives those teams an additional edge in that they can trade down and add additional picks. For a rebuilding team, either of those things can help more than just showing improvement in the record, especially when you need to draft a quality edge rusher and quality LT and those are almost never found in the middle or lower part of a round.

In addition, showing improvement in the team record doesn't necessarily mean that the team has improved any more than a team who hasn't shown much improvement in their W-L record. A number of factors can affect both: the schedule, playing a team at the right time (a key player on the other team, especially their starting QB, is injured or suspended and misses the game), a lucky/unlucky bounce of the football, bad calls by the referees (either way), a player or two having a career game, rookie mistake, starting a rookie QB, etc. The Jets could show a lot of improvement this season in their play, but due to the toughness of their schedule, an injury to a key player or two, and an unlucky break/bounce of the football or two and they could wind up with the same W-L record as last year. Conversely, we've also already seen both Fitz and McCown have career years recently and make the team look a lot better than it actually was, and give it a better W-L record than their talent level merited.

With their needs at LT and edge rusher and no 2nd round pick, I think the Jets would be much better off drafting in the top 10 or maybe even top 5, than they would drafting at #14-#16.

KurtTheJetsFan and K'OB like this.
  5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And as it turned out, teaching a young team how to win, getting prospects experience and keeping the vets and locker in check cost the Jets a couple of 2nd round picks.

6. LF911SC

You want to coach to win and tank at the same time? You want to tank, which means lose on purpose without losing on purpose?

That you think 8-8 is for nobodies is your issue, no HC or GM etc would take 2 wins over 8. Not a one. If you find that discrespectful that's your issue. Just as it would be to find anything I wrote above disrespectful.

Not getting your Bills somment. They could have tanked for Allen and saved one of their 1sts. They smartly traded that first for a trip to the playoffs. An invaluable lesson for young players.

7. It comes down to fans that live in the now & fans that think big picture.

Its sort of similar to the week of the draft when the schedule release transpires.Ever notice how the big picture “draft crowd” could care less about the schedule release while w the “now” crowd its 100 times more emphasized than the draft which they consider a crapshoot??

For me i think the meaningless wins in december are just that;meaningless. Every crappy season this team has had,w.o fail has had some farce win in december that screwed up draft position. Every single time the now fans treat it as some silly launching point.Not ONCE has it ever catapulted the team..not ONCE.This moral victory crap is mickey mouse land.

What it has done is cost the team on draft day.No better example than good ole 2008.An absolutely dreadful win week 17 against KC cost us a top 5 pick which wouldve landed us Darren Mcfadden,chris Long & matt ryan among others. And who did we end up w? Gladys.

That was my last straw. I remember the arguments folks made on here about how great it was that they won that KC game.Its the same stiff you hear now. Im stilll waiting for the 8-10 meaningless december wins this team has had since Parcells to FINALLY send this team to ascension..

Then again maybe not.Maybe this “fan tankers” are onto something afterall.If yiure gonnna suck..suck HARD

Brook!, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets didn't tank last year and still got the best QB prospect in the draft. Jets didn't have to intentionally lose games for that to happen. Tanking is not the best way to rebuild a roster.

People want to talk about Mariota, but I am perfectly fine with having Darnold now, then Mariota before.

Walt White and FJF like this.
  9. They gave 3 2nd round picks to move up 3 spots.Had they lost even 2 more games that likely wouldnt have been necessary. Could you imagine where wed be right now if we had Darnold made those 2 other picks & still had a #2 going into next year??

As far as im concerned we dont know if tanking or “ losing when you should lose” is the right way to rebuild or not.The team has repeatedly had meaningless wins that prevent a drop off from transpiring.

But i can damn well say for certain these moral victories in december that have prevented draft position have never once led to any sort of ascension.Tanking may not be the answer but anti tanking when the draft stakes are high have been anything but the answer

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

It's funny we finally get a QB and want to trade him away a month later... and I am all in the trade Teddy and try and recoup a 2nd camp.. Us Jet fans are just fucking tired and delusional at this point. Love yall though. :D

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Chances are those 2nd round picks will be busts anyway. Jets are still in excellent shape in the future. We won't think about those 2nd rounders if Darnold is the guy. Can't have everything!

Wins are wins, they help the team learn and believe in one another. Tanking does nothing for a franchise. Play the game the right way, things will come to you in the draft, its the Jets that need to better hit on those rounds 2-7. So far it ain't great.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Please point me to the post where I said tank, thank you.

Also for that matter point me to the post that said I want a coach to win and tank at the same time ?

It is hard to have a conversation, discussion or argument if that is what you want to call it with somebody if they are not reading your posts and then straight up inventing stuff you have not said in their reply.

As for the Bills comment, you fetched them into it as a way to say they made the play offs but still got who they wanted in the draft, if they didn't already have a round 1 banked they wouldn't have got that player at all, so in all reality your use of the Bills having a winning season and still getting their man in the draft is false from the off.

Your disrespectful tone was in suggesting people are stupid to understand something because you don't agree with their point of view, I understand yours I just believe that 8-8 will kill our rebuild somewhat and would prefer one more high draft pick and like last season it isn't all about picking high in the first round but in all the subsequent rounds also.

Season after next 8-8 with Darnald as QB would be classed as progress, 8-8 with Teddy or McCown is not progress in my book at all.

#92 K'OB, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Losing 11 games, some in spectacular fashion isn’t teaching anyone winning, if the vets can’t check themselves to be professionals then I don’t want them and those two picks this year and one next year could add some much needed talent.

Look, we monumentally lucked out getting Sam, if we lost out on him because we won a stupid game or two and had to settle for...well, NOT Sam I’d be more pissed.

As it is I don’t give a crap about the picks and I will have NO interest in losing a game next year to move up a couple of spots, now that we have Sam.

I’m only on board with losing for the sole purpose of getting a potential 12 year franchise QB.

We did that, but it wasn’t totally by design. But as they say, sometimes luck is the residue of design.

Brook! likes this.
  14. LF911SC

You didn't say rooting for those 5 wins was short sighted? Or more so "At the end of the day 8-8 only appeases short sighted fans desperate to see meaningless wins.". Thats me confused? Ok.

Bills were brought up because they won, making the playoffs for the first time in almost 20 years was important. Yes they had two picks but if the followed your logic instead of 2 picks around 25 they would have had that mediocre pick and a top 10 really making them the team to beat in a trade up.

Nothing in what I wrote in either post says anyone who doesn't agree is stupid. Again that's on you. It's the internet, we don't have to agree. Doesn't make either it's is stupid. Sorry if you took it that way.

15. LF911SC

Problem is we didn't lose out on Sam. Which is the point.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh I see me saying let's tank right there in the bolded bit now, it is right there next to the bit about wanting us to coach to lose etc etc o_O

The 5 wins were short sighted as it cost us a lot to move up in the draft to get the player we could have got if we won only 2 games, hell we were predicted to win about that by many people, in the end we were unlucky to win just 5 games, 3 games fucked from leading positions with less than a quarter to go and then the Pats officials cheating us out of another win.

Now I know you don't agree but if we had won those games and finished 8-8 9-7 we would now not be sitting with Sam Darnald in the building and with all the promise that brings, i say promise because nothing is written in stone obviously.

8-8 appeases short sighted fans as they only care about the short sighted fact they seen 8 wins, they don't seem to think much towards the future, not saying that is you but this argument was had last summer as well, like I said above if they got their wish for mediocrity then we would not have the promise and hope that we now have for the future of this franchise.

Rebuilding is a patient game, some people have it and some people get giddy and want it all yesterday.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

We pulled the biggest rabbit in the history of history out of our ass.

Yes, it “worked out” but it took the act of the Spaghetti God to cash in on Mac’s gamble.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

The fickle finger of fate is a funny thing. Perhaps it finally pointed our way? What turned it, Woodster's path to England?

Something definitely happened tho, lol :eek:

19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That's "Flying Spaghetti Monster", he boiled for your sins.

[​IMG]

Brook!, K'OB and Walt White like this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

I prefer “God”.

Monster is blasphemous.

The Waterboy likes this.