Jets WRs - proves value is there late and the jets do a good job

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 29, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Lets take a look at the top 4 jets WRs heading into the 2018 season. Note all 4 WRs are over 6 feet tall and run sub 4.5 40 yard dashes

Robbie Anderson - UDFA from 2016 signed by mac

the number 1 WR for the jets in 2017 and heading into 2018 he was on a pro bowl base in 2017 with mccown at QB until mccown got hurt and petty couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. he got lots of playing time as a rookie in 2016 due to injuries to decker, and marshall missing time as well, he ended the year as a starter. He's shown explosive speed developing into one of the best deep threats in the NFL and in 2017 became a more complete WR. great ball skills and hands he has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL and should be a 1k yard WR in 2018 barring injury. 105 catches 1500+ yards and 9 TDs with a 14.6 avg for his 1st 2 years in the NFL. has outperformed most WRs drafted in the 2016 draft

Quincy Enunwa - 6th round pic in 2014

the only pick left from the terrible idzick 12 draft class, enunwa has the size and speed to be dangerous. His first 2 seasons he didn't ghet much playing time but in 2016 he started the year off as the 3rd WR behind marshall and decker and became the starter when decker got injured early in the year. finished with over 850 yards 4TDs 58 catches and an impressive 14.8YPC. was poised to break out in 2017 until a neck injury kept him out all year. If he can prove to be healthy he's a 1k yard WR

Jermaine Kearse - UDFA in 2012 draft class for seattle. Traded to the jets in 2017 with a 2nd round pick for richardson

This was a great move by mac after the enunwa injury. the jets were thin at WR. richardson had little value and a poor 2017 showing. Seattle only kept him the 1 year and he signed with the vikings for 2018. the jets got an extra pick needed to move up in the draft and select darnold as well as kearse who proved to be a solid WR. did most of his damage from the slot where he will likely plays most of his snaps in 2018. while he didn't get much opportunity in seattle, he had a breakout season with the jets with 800 yards and 65 catches keeping the chains moving and extending drives

Terelle Pryor - college QB selected in the 3rd round of the 2011 supplemental draft by the raiders. converted to WR. signed as a FA for the jets in 2018 after stints with OAK, CLE, and Wash. the deal is 1 year 4.5mil 2mil guarenteed

Pryor was a college QB who didn't succeed in 3 years with oakland. after a year out of the NFL and failing as a QB, he switched to WR and signed with Cleveland which led to a breakout season in 2016 with 77 catches for 1007 yards. He left Cleveland for more money after that to go to Washington and has an injury plagued down year in 2017 and now looks to redeem himself with the jets on a 1 year prove it deal.

total 2018 cap charge for all 4 12.74 million

So in short the jets have 4 WRs on the roster that barely cost nothing. all have size and speed and 3 are capable of 1000 yard seasons with the 4th being the most experienced and a good slot WR for 800 yards. all without spending a ton of money or high draft picks. mac has done a great job with the WR position which felt like a huge weakness going into 2017 but now feels like a huge strength for 2018

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I like it.

Let's rip shit up!

3. Its a great start..stilll need that #1 game breaker..

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

sounds like Robby Anderson

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Check your spelling 101
    It’s Q u i n c y E n u n w a

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

hahaha well crap, after this year hopefully we give them a nickname like the Justice League, cause Q and Robby can hold their own, they ain't sidekicks (aka #2s)! Q can be Superman.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

and robbie is the flash

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe Hansen breaks out this year, giving us another cheap WR.

9. GasedAndConfused

would be nice for sure. at least enough for us to let kearse walk since he'll be 30 next season.

FJF likes this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Look, Robby is an interesting story, for both good and bad reasons, but lets not put him Canton just yet. Anyone that straps them on has "potential." He's shown some nice flashes and seems to be getting better. He's still built like my girlfriend in the 11th grade and he's got some issues off the field.

blackssmagic and tbruner12 like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

off the field issues were resolved and blown overboard. yeah he's an idiot who can hardly speak but he's alreayd proved he has the talent. it isn't just potential and he plays stronger then he looks. he doens't get soft at the line and doens't go down easy

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This group of receivers is one of the most interesting groups in all the NFL. I say this as objectively as I possibly can be. The range of outcomes varies so drastically from a talent standpoint when you look at the players at WR. Then every directly effected component of the WR position could make it that much better than it was last season (O-line, QB, RB, additional WRs)

• When you look at the talent lets start with Robby since he was the main contributor last season and you could make the case that last season he broke out. I would make the case that he has only begun to show a diversity in his route tree and is really only now coming into his own having competent QB play for the first time. I imagine that this is the year he truly breaks out.

• Unless you are paying real close attention or you're a Jets fan you may not even be aware of the talent and potential of Quincy Enunwa. I also agree with the earlier comment that if there is a #1 go-to receiver on this team it's Q. At the rate Q was progressing in his career (which was astonishing given the circumstances and QB play) I really expected something special from him last season, but alas with his season ending injury we had to put that on hold. I think if he is 100% healthy he will undoubtedly be right back on that track. I see Q being a faster Anquan Boldin in his prime.

• Terrelle Pryor's most accurate pro comparison in measurables is Julio Jones. Except Pryor is a good bit larger (2 inches taller, 12lbs heavier), and doesn't have the insane 39.5" vert of Jones with his 31" vert. That's about the extent of my analysis. He's proven he can play the position somewhat efficiently* but is still learning the position and is relatively raw.
    These are just the primary guys. Kearse is about as solid of an option as you could ever ask for as just a NFL caliber hardhat wearing dude that can ball, Hansen has certainly shown some promise and all the reports that ever come out about him are glowing, and lastly I'll bring up the forgoten man in this shuffle Stewart who I have a very strong feeling about even though he did have a few rookie moments last year he also flashes every time the ball comes his direction.

The range could be all the way from Robby and Q both going to the next level in their play, while Pryor figures out the game becoming a Julio-lite option. Then you look over and the #4 option is Mr Steady-Eddie Jermaine Kearse, that sounds like one of the best WR corps in the league. Theeeeeeeen there's the alternative of Robby having more than a few screws loose and loosing focus, being arrested again, he's not the best decision maker. Q could not be healthy, or ever the same since necks can be tricky. Pryor could be the exact same version of himself he was in Washington. This leaves Kearse to man the 1 spot and hope we can bank on the 2nd year guys.

Outcomes are vast.

#12 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  13. Great deep threat but only occassionally a gamechanger.Hes not consistently dominant. Jets need someone they can count on every week for at least 5 grabs 80 yds & a score. To this stage thats not Anderson

Now he may still develop into that. He also might just be a very nice complimentary #2 piece who is at his best w that gamechanging #1.See Alvin Harper or Tory Holt.

Also think that unless Stewart steps up we lack a short area threat to move the chains ,create big plays & most importantly take advantage of Sam’s anticipation skillls

tbruner12 likes this.
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Stewart coming on could be a game changer for them. Another guy I'm hopeful for and will be watching this preseason

15. 101GangGreen101

He was doing that weeks 7 through 11; a better QB might be able to get him the ball more often and statistically he will prove it. Anderson really improved his play last season, hopefully he builds on it. McCown going down severely hampered Robby cause Petty couldn't get him the ball.

I see 4 receivers that could come in and make plays. Anderson, Q, Kearse and Hansen. Stewart IMO is a huge question mark. In the small reps Hansen got last year, I like what I saw.

16. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This last part I find interesting. Especially the choice of words
    while omitting the tallest, largest, potentially fastest WR on the roster in favor or 4 other players. Really anything but this particular wordage I would likely agree. If it was "come in and ______" : contribute right away, count on, separate, play consistent, improve the passing game, come up big in big moments, have a large statistical season, help improve QB play, be a reliable outlet.
    But if there's literally ONE thing Pryor can do it's make plays.

As far as Stewart goes, I don't see him as any more of an unknown commodity than other players with limited snaps at this point in their development going into their 2nd year. Some good, some bad, nothing concerning in the way of bad but his flashes allow for optimism.

FJF likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

I'm not very high on Pryor. Physically he's a great talent but last year watching the Redskins, I saw regression.

The 4 guys I mentioned, I think they will be the qbs top options, I think they will bring consistency to the position. They don't drop passes either and Pryor had issues last year.

You don't have to be fast, tall etc (like a Pryor) to come in and make plays.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Lets see how they rank after this year. Not that those rankings really mean anything.

Skicats likes this.
  20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

To be fair, the first and third of those explicitly say that they could turn out better than predicted, the fourth puts them as being between 19th and 24th (and therefore higher than 25th), and the first one includes tight ends (and no one thinks that the Jets tight ends are anything other than either terrible or completely unproven). I happen to agree with you that I am dubious at this point about any prediction that puts their WRs in the top half of the league, but I think the #31 and #32 rankings are also pretty ridiculous.

MoWilkBeast and HomeoftheJets like this.