Bowles Ranked Second to only Hue Jackson as Worst Coach in NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jun 27, 2018.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Well, that's the point, isn't it - if the coaching staff put the majority of the players in the right situation to succeed, then why didn't they? To my mind they performed exactly as would have been expected, and that performance was generally poor. For every player you could say exceeded expectations there was a player who fell short of expectations, and that sounds a lot more like random variability to me than quality coaching. I don't give the coaching staff credit for when McCown played well and a pass for when he played poorly - if they deserve credit for the good they deserve blame for the bad. Personally I don't see any particular reason to think that those sorts of intangibles outweigh what are to me clear strategic deficiencies that aren't getting better.

As you say, this season will tell the tale. I believe that if there isn't clear evidence of performance that translates into wins Bowles and his staff will be gone.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think Bowles will be gone if it becomes clear that he has hampered the growth of Darnold like Fisher did with Goff. There's a 4 year window to find out if he's the answer.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You mean Jon Gruden who finished in the bottom half of his division 6 out of 11 seasons as a head coach? Jon Gruden who won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team, then never won another playoff game despite coaching for six more years? Jon Gruden who used 15 different starting QBs in 11 years?

At least Bowles can pick one washed up journeyman QB at a time--Gruden would collect three or four.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

lmao! How many superbowls did Dungy win with that team? What team did he face in the superbowl?

What is it that Bowles is good at again? He's a shit coach. The Jets won't win shit with him.

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Considering I ranked him as the 21st best coach in a 32-team league, I would have to agree that the Jets probably won't win anything with him. I'm even more confident the Raiders aren't going to win anything with Gruden.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It really depends on what players you are referring to. The only players that didn't meet my expectations were Wilkerson and I guess you could add Leonard Williams (statistically speaking only). My expectations of Lee were pretty small, but he improved. Adams was on point, Maye exceeded mine. Robby was excellent in his 2nd year. I would say the core players drafted under Mac and Bowles did not regress.

I think fans are giving McCown too much credit ... he provided stability (for 3 qtrs each game) but I think Robby, Kearse and the receivers played great all year long and really made McCown look better then what he was. Rarely dropped passes and made plays. When the Jets needed McCown, he faltered. Team won 5 games, but I saw a team that was prepared, but lacked a killer instinct late due to inexperience in key positions. It is tough to win in the NFL when you have a young team.

Bowles absolutely has to build on last year. If he can't improve the pass-rush and make better decisions during certain stretches he will be gone.

MoWilkBeast, CotcheryFan and FJF like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is a critical year for Bowles. If he doesn't show improvement in his in game decisions, adjustments, hampers Darnold's growth, etc..... he should be fired. He is in the bottom half of all HC's for sure, but not bottom of the barrel.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Raiders have a much more talented team and a much better head coach. I wouldn't be so sure.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LMAO

Like this is big news?

Thank the wanking the Johnstons for extending him ..

Hope the owners see this list...Mac should have a list of replacements by Thanksgiving

11. 101GangGreen101

Walt White likes this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Right, lol. That list is something Mac should be paying attention to. Smfh.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wanted Bowles fired after 2016. It was an embarrassing season. The wording of that post on Bowles is odd though. His rosters have been terrible so of course he is going to have a low winning percentage. That is not why he should be fired. It's that he isn't good enough in the details. He makes odd coaching moves. He is terrible with in game situations. Time outs, challenges, all the little details that are important. Managing the lead, he always gets too conservative and it has cost the Jets several times. He is a defensive coach and his defenses are just not good enough. He is too stubborn to fire his best buddy, Kacy Rodgers, when he should have been gone after year 2 for sure. That is how I would have written it.

14. While i dont think hes the answer im not moving on till there is an obvious upgrade available. Theres no sense in kicking out Mickey mouse only to bring in Donald Duck.

This team needs an experienced head coach w unquestioned credibility..those guys arent around every year. Until then let Bowles be the bridge HC..at least the culture & roster are improving w.o him screwing that up.

jixxjr and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Take all the HC's, look at all their numbers and rank accordingly. As stupid a way of ranking a coach as there is. Doesnt take into account talent on a teams roster.

As usual, only the haters will pay attention to a list like this

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Do you have any other cliches to add? Hes predictable? As in he never rants like an idiot on the sideline?

101GangGreen101 and Walt White like this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Come on, boys - at least click on the link before slamming it blindly. MSN is not the source, USA Today Sports is the source of the material which was copied on MSN. I would prefer that the writer was identified however.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Edited to add: Far be it for me to come to the defense of Todd Bowles but I always like to put things in perspective - often to the consternation of some here. Further investigation discovers that the author of the rankings is one Henry McKenna, identified as a contributor to "The Big Lead" of USA Today. He is also listed as the blogger-in-chief of "Patriots Wire."

He may be contacted on Twitter @McKennAnalysis or by email at Henry.c.McKenna@gmail.com.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Bowles is #1 in my book

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

I don't think conservativeness is the right word, but I think Bowles needs to better pick and choose his battles. That's improvement all coaches need to make. Bowles, I think year 4 really needs to show improvement in that department I agree. I've seen the defense play really well in stretches (notably in New Orleans against Brees; and against the Falcons), but they really need to get the pass rush going. That to me, is what I mainly am holding Bowles accountable right now being as he is a defensive coach. The offense has overachieved with him despite the changes in coordinators.

Again, I look at the 4th QTR of Jet games last year and the team did not execute and made a lot of silly turnovers to get teams back in games. I did not see much success running the football to dominate the TOP, they were a middle of the pack team. I think last year, he proved to me that he can keep this team focused and prepared prior to the games, but we do need to see better on the field strategy from Bowles. Oh, and more talent too.

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.