Offer Bridgewater and Kearse...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Jun 24, 2018.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The NFL season cant start soon enough

Till then ..our biggest source of entertainment are these pre-Pre Season ideas

Holy Jumpin the Gun Batman!

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ve gotta change it. Still holding out to see if he can turn it around in training camp. I don’t have my hopes up though.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Only the good offensive players....

Jets69 likes this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

How did we aquire the Pat's first round pick?:oops:

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

They trade for Rontez Miles next week.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Say what? Bridgewater is our best QB and Kearse is our best WR? Bowles WILL play McCown all year if healthy and Bridgewater (not traded) will be #2. That leaves Darold to run the scout team all year and not even get backup reps--makes no sense to me. As for Kearse, I do not see him as any better or worse than Anderson, Enumwa, Pryor, or Hansen. Plus you got #3 pick Stewart last year who got no reps. What good does it do to have so MANY Wrs? Hansen was the talk of camp recently and under your theory he is #5 WR--THAT is the problem with Bowlrs and the jets. They hang onto AND PLAY old guys like McCown way too long and never DEVELOP any draft picks. This proposal that I posted was more for getting Darold and Hansen some playing time, in addition to the needed pick. Under your scenario the jets will keep them on the bench with the eventual repeat of a 5-11 season.

7. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

Relax, buddy. Let them get into training camp and maybe a preseason game or two under their belt before we start complaining about how the QB reps are being divvied.

And as for the WR’s it seems to me the best thing we can do to help Sam’s development along is supply him with the best supporting cast possible. I’m excited by Hansen flashing in OTA’s too, but Kearse was a really steady presence for us last year in the actual games. Let the competition play out before we determine who’s expendable.

It’ll all work itself out.

8. Id buy the notion of keeping Bridgewater if he wasnt on a 1 year contract & we didnt have Darnold waiting in the wings seemingly ending any hope of a long term partnership.

Id consider moving Powell before i would Kearse who is a pivotal leader & very productive; unless of course the likes of Hanson,Stewart,Pryor and Peake/Smith etc make massive strides in perseason.

I agree w Cimini that a move will be made for one of these pass rushers about to hit FA..Fowler would be ideal.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Ray is going to miss training camp and the start of the season, I wouldn't want them to give up anything for him at this point. Fowler for Bridgewater straight up, with a late round if the Jets extend him but cancelling out if the Jags also extend Bridgewater. If they can't make a good deal rather than giving up too much then just wait until the off season when it won't cost any trade capital, this would also give them a good back up until Darnold is up to speed. Besides if a starter goes down before the trade deadline Bridgewater value can go way up.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

There are several reasons the jets always are in the basement. They refuse to develop young players, always play the greybeards, and never trade anyone when the value is high. The Patriots on the other hand are NOT afraid to trade a Richard Seymour, Jamie Collins, or Brandon Cooks when the value is high. . Yeah you're right--we should not be thinking of Darnold as anything but a scout team QB--Let's keep him behind McCown and Bridgewater. We should keep Hansen as our #5 receiver all year and just play him on special teams--That is a good way to reward a guy that tried hard to improve during the offseason. . Right now, He only has Anderson, Kearse, Enumwa and Pryor ahead of him, with another 10 WRs on the roster--we can play them all, right? . Todd Bowles likes to play the old vets anyway--Why don't we get Matt Forte back too--as you said the competition should play out. And never trade when their value is high like now. Lets get Bridgewater into camp, watch his knee give out, and then be unable to move him. Same old jets. Like you said "it'll work itself out"--into another 5-11 season under todd toilet bowl.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't want Darnold to start this year. Not because I have no trust in that kid. More likely, I don't want to turn him into David Carr.

Jets OL is a mess - there is no doubt about THAT part. If they weren't the mess that they are now, there is no reason to doubt if McCown would play all season. He won't, and he can't under this kind of shoddy protection.

Like I said, I do not want to throw the kid to the wolves without sufficient protection. What will happen if McCown goes down with injury? You'd end up doing just that without Bridgewater. A big no-no if you ask me.

I can see some sense in moving Kearse - Jets do have a lot of talent in that position, starting with Enunwa and Anderson, followed by Stewart and Hansen - but I have to disagree with you on moving Bridgewater.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Didn't I see you under a bridge the other day, seeking cover from sunlight?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. I view the fact that he’ll miss most of TC & the start of the season as a leveraging point.That means could concieveably get him for pennies on the dollar..afterall its a long term move not just for this season.

Not sure Ray is the greatest fit for scheme but no doubt he can put his hand in the dirt & bend the edge to the QB.Still prefer Fowler however

14. Brandon Moore's Butt

You know what? You’ve made a believer out of me. Actually waiting to see how any of these events transpire in reality, as opposed to our pessimistic fantasies, was a pretty out there proposition.

Let’s all just cry and stroke our miseryboners while we await the inevitable ineptitude and failure the future most certainly holds.

I’m not saying you need to have absolute faith in the coaches and management to make good decisions, even. A little skepticism never hurt anybody. But it’s hard for me to see how criticizing Bowles and co. for actions and events that haven’t even occurred yet is anything but batshit.

We’ll cross these bridges when we come to them. We’re nowhere close yet and you’re already ready to jump off one.

#34 Brandon Moore's Butt, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Troll bridge, jump off a bridge, Bridgewater. Conspiracy? :eek:

16. Brandon Moore's Butt

[​IMG]
    ~Paranormal Organized Team Activities~
    ~Jets Brass Denies Knowledge~

The Truth Is Out There

Sam Hammer, FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Tom, obviously, I disagree. IMO your thinking is "all or nothing," and you're confusing the past and present. Hansen played a pretty good amount last year. I'm sure that he will play even more this year if he performs well.

There are three philosophical approaches with young players: 1) just throw them out there, see who sinks or swims and damn the consequences with either the players or the team's W-L record; 2) make them earn playing time; or 3) don't trust them and make them sit for a year or two regardless. Initially, I thought Bowles was in the #3 camp, but I have seen that I was mistaken. Petty and Hack weren't worth playing. I think about every other young player the Jets have drafted has gotten a shot to play if he showed anything at all in practice. The Jets are trying to remain competitive while rebuilding, both because they think that's the right way to go and because they know the fans are tired of the Jets being losers. Earlier, I agreed with you that the Jets should have just forgotten the W-L record, play Petty and/or Hack and see what happens. That would have accomplished nothing. Petty and Hack aren't gonna be quality starters. The Jets would have become the laughingstock of the NFL again, and they would have turned off their own players and fans, and certainly no quality FA would want to sign here. As their drafting has gotten better, more and more young players are seeing the field earlier. If the Jets went by the approach you claim, Adams and Maye would never have started at S last year. Brooks and Miles would have started.

As far as the QB position goes, Bowles favored McCown because he played at the highest level and he knew that by and large, he could trust him. Now, he has another option in Teddy. Teddy isn't prone to the mistakes that McCown is, and Teddy makes better reads and decisions and is more accurate than McCown. In addition, since Teddy is only signed for a year, it's to their advantage to start him day one to raise his trade value or value in FA next year, so they can get the greatest compensation for him. Also, as some others have pointed out, there are no guarantees that Darnold will develop and be all that as a starting QB. Sure, he has a lot of talent and potential, but he's only 21 and only been playing QB for something like 4-5 years. Teddy's been playing it practically his whole life. McCown can sit and mentor Darnold if Teddy is healthy. If Darnold surprises and outplays Teddy and McCown in TC then he will either start or be the backup and McCown will be #3 on the depth chart. We've already seen what happens in '99 when a team doesn't have enough QBs. The Jets would be dumb, Dumb, DUMB to repeat that mistake. Do you want to repeat history? McCown is older and injury-prone. Our OL is questionable at best, and you would say it's worse than that. There are no guarantees that either he or Teddy will make it out of TC. The last thing that should be on the Jets' minds is trading Teddy at this point. Then they'd be scrambling to find some scrub who doesn't even know the offense or have any familiarity or chemistry with the other offensive players. So you want to risk ending Darnold's career or ruining him by throwing him to the wolves and starting him now behind that OL? You can't have it both ways. Your thinking is also irrational and totally emotional.

Even if Darnold should win the starting QB job in TC, the Jets should want to surround him with the best players they can his rookie season to better help him develop and succeed. In that scenario it would be dumb to trade the WR who has been the Jets most sure-handed and reliable receiver the last year or two. Injuries happen at other positions as well. Enunwa might not be the same player, or could get re-injured (God forbid). Pryor might not be healthy until mid-season, and he's questionable anyway, and not nearly as reliable as Kearse. So you would want to risk Darnold's development with Anderson, Stewart and Hansen, the mediocre TE corps, a lousy OL and average RB corps? Right. Sorry, but that would not be wise.

Sec124DieHard and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

"Seemingly" is the key word. Darnold might not develop or might prove to be only a mediocre starting QB in the NFL, or God forbid, he could suffer a career-ending injury behind the patchwork OL the Jets have. How dumb would the Jets look then for trading Teddy before TC?

Powell is the best RB they have. There is absolutely no reason to trade him. If Darnold does start, he is going to have to lean on the rushing attack. Making it less dangerous/potent would not be the way to go.

I rarely agree with Ciminidiot on anything. What are the Jets going to trade for a pass rusher like Fowler or Ray? Their present teams aren't going to give them away for a 5th round pick. Fowler may be better than anyone the Jets have, but he hasn't exactly lit up the NFL either. Why should the Jets give up a major asset to get a pass rusher who hasn't even had double-digit sacks in his career, and barely has double-digit sacks over his career, when they're not a LT contender this year, and especially when there are supposed to be several good pass rushing prospects in the draft next year and the Jets could be in prime position to get one of them?

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Didn't we do a whole big thread on here a few months back where a bunch of us showed that this whole concept that "Bowles only plays vets" has zero supporting evidence? Bowles has PLENTY of things he needs to work on--giving young guys playing time is not on that list.

TonyFtLaud and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fact base discussion is largely ignored in these parts