Baker Mayfield Has "A Long Way to Go"

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/702298002

If Baker Mayfield is going to make any kind of a run at the starting quarterback job as a rookie, he'll have to show big improvements in training camp.

That's the verdict Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Todd Haley rendered Thursday as the team wrapped up its three-day minicamp. As it stands, Haley sees Mayfield, the No. 1 pick in April's NFL draft, needing to make up substantial ground in order to catch up to Tyrod Taylor.

"Again, that's yet to be determined,'' Haley said. "He has a long way to go. I'd say it's clear that Tyrod is the leader of this team. That is a big component of that position, also. What I will say is probably in my career, this is one of the best if not the best quarterbacks rooms in general that I've had.''

Haley said Mayfield had made "very good" progress but that his adjustment period could be an extended one.

"Any time that you're a young player coming into this league, especially a quarterback, it's going to take time,'' said Haley. "You have a lot of different things that you're dealing with at that position. For him, a guy that has been in the (shot)gun 99% of the time, in this division you have to be under center some. Whether it's running or play action, those are some of the things that he has really had to work hard at."

Browns coach Hue Jackson has maintained since the team traded for Taylor that the eighth-year veteran would be the starter. Yet Jackson has also told Mayfield to "keep working" in the break before training camp.

"I made a commitment to (Taylor) and he has held up his end of the bargain with not just the way he works but the way he plays and the way he leads," Jackson said Wednesday. "He has earned the right to be the starting quarterback here."

Taming his impatience has been a tough task for Mayfield, but for now his focus is on his own development.

"Human nature, especially for me, is I want to have it all figured out right now, but that's just not how it works," Mayfield said Wednesday, according to ESPN. "It's about realizing we are going to have to take baby steps right now to get to where I want to go. You don't build a great castle just all at once. You got to build it block by block.

"For me, that's how I need to handle it."

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

"younger player" he is 25 and has 4 years as a college starter. darnold will be a pro bowler before 25 years old and mayfield may not see the field until he's 27. man i'm glad the browns are dumb and the giants still believe in eli

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But from what I heard leading up to the draft he is ready to play now. He would have given us the best chance to win now. Being under center isn’t a big deal anymore. This Todd Haley guy needs to read more tgg. He has no idea what he is talking about

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

We all knew going in that Mayfield would take some time to develop. This is no surprise. This makes me wonder how Rosen is doing in Arizona since he was considered the most NFL ready.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Just how is Rosencrantz doing in OTA's? Maybe Guildenstern knows.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

By most reports, Rosen has looked very good and should be the day one starter even with Bradford's large salary.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He's 23. You can have your opinions on the guy, but not your own facts. ;)

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Hue Jackson doesn’t play rookies

LF911SC, Big Cat, themorey and 3 others like this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Lol.

But he’s only 5’-9”.

themorey and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Baker is a winner..his start my be slow but he will come on in the stretch.

Hue Jackson is hot on Taylor because unlike our Teddy has all working parts and his GM J Dorsey made a shrewd trade with Buffalo

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Meaningless media reports are meaningless.

Walt White likes this.
  12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Our fan base may be frustrated with Todd Bowles, but that probably pales in comparison to how Browns fans view Hue. He's got to come out the gate with wins. They start out 1-4 or something like that, he's gone and Haley steps in as interim.

"Rumor on the Street" is Dorsey doesn't want to keep Jackson, but the owner, Jimmy Haslem, feeling the embarrassing public opinion of their constant turnover at head coach, is forcing his GM and head coach to co-exist, at least for this year. Kinda reminds me of what Woody did with Rex and Idzik - and we all know how that turned out.

13. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me....Rosen can come in and play sound football immediately. The worry with Rosen--can he stay healthy when 250lb+ guys hit him and will he keep his composure when things go bad. If he says healthy physically and mentally....I can see him having a very Matt Ryan like career. As for Baker, he is a wild card, if he can still be accurate against NFL defenses.....watch out. I still like our statistic chances with Darnold.....

Sam Hammer likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Didn't you hear?

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

dam my bad. I thought he was older. still he won't see the field until 25 it seems

CotcheryFan likes this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Finally someone who gets me! Surely the end of the world as we know it is coming! To an end!

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont believe that rumor simply because its more embarrassing that they didn't fire the winless coach than it is to fire him and worry about the perception of turnover.

Dorsey doesn't appear to be anti-Jackson anyway and they both appear to have a mutual dislike for the former GM, it can be easy to bond together over mutual dislike.

Hue Jackson would have won more games last season if he didn't stick with Kizer out of spite. He was giving the GM the middle finger for drafting the kid against his wishes by playing him every week. I expect Cleveland to be much improved now that the GM/coach isn't a toxic relationship and the new GM actually brought in some NFL talent for once at key positions. 6 or 7 wins and an extension for Jackson.

18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Red Flag

Thank god we didn't take him because yes we'd be in a panic. Darnold is coming along way ahead of schedule and wowing coaching with his intelligence, maturity, and on field skills.

Mayfield meanwhile is 2 years OLDER than Darnold and can't even so much as COMPETE with the milquetoast Tyrod Taylor? Shouldn't take much to at least push him a bit. But Baker can't even do that.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Haslam bought the team at the end of 2012, which in that season Pat Shermer was fired. So going into his 6th season, if he let Hue go ( hard to argue that 1 win in 2 season doesn't deserves a pink slip!) Haslam would be on his 4th coach. I definitely agree with you that bringing in Sashi Brown, a 40 year old lawyer with a limited football background was not a good look and I'm sure Hue hated working for an analytics guy, but why would Dorsey care and not want to bring in "his guy?" Because they had mutual distain for a previous VP of operations? Keeping Hue reeks of owner interference, in my opinion.

Not sure if starting Kevin Hogan and or Cody Kelser over Kizer would have improved that record much, but when Hue did pull Kizer, the other QBs got hurt. That roster was terrible. And Dorsey has done a really good job of bringing in talent that, no matter who was coaching, should get them between 5 - 8 wins.

20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Buster Mayfield