It's the offseason , not much to talk about. stumbled upon this

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 5, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So you don't think Archie played the role of "Agent" just like with the Chargers and Eli?

To me, it shouldn't have been this hard. "Hey, you declare we will take you at 1" you tell that to Archie and you move on. He should've put the pressure on the Mannings to make a tougher decision.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm saying I don't believe Archie Manning so I'm not going to take him at his word.

I also don't believe he was the slam dunk no.1 pick at the time. Peyton's junior year was not all that impressive. He was the talk of the country after his stellar sophomore season but his junior year he was very shaky. He went to Memphis and looked terrible against a below average Memphis team as I remember..

There were some great lineman in that draft - Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, even Peter Boulware was a big name as a top defensive prospect. It's possible Archie called several teams at the top of that draft and got a consensus that Manning was a good prospect but not a lock in the top 5 or something.

Peyton goes back to college, and the PR machine gives you this nice spin story that you guys have ran with for 20 years about Parcells undermining his own team as if someone would ever do that

alleycat9 likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Parcels has also confirmed the conversations with Archie Manning.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Completely agree.
    The entire Parcells angle is something certain Jet fans like to whine about for some reason.

The bottom line is Manning wanted to play another year in Tenn. If he declared for the draft, the Jets would've drafted him, but he didn't.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

A lot of great college QB's never amount to shit in the NFL. Hindsight is 20/20. When Manning did come out it he wasn't even the consensus #1 overall pick. A lot of people were saying Ryan Leaf. Sounds retarded now but true.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Definitely true about Leaf, cause there was a split divide between who was better. Hindsight plays a role, but I mean if you were in contact with Manning's father, you watched the tape. A lot of great QBs in college, but not many that were 6'5, and had the great intangibles Manning had. It reminds me a little of Mayfield vs Rosen now ... we shall see if Mayfield lives up to the billing.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Lots of people saying Parcells screwed up the future of the team even though that was probably the most consistent the franchise has ever been.

He left the team way better than when he arrived. Martin, Mawae, Ellis, Abraham, Pennington, Coles. I'd say he left a solid foundation.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Yeah, yeah, say what you will. He gave me nothing.

I wish I knew how to say he gave me nothing in 40,000 languages. Yes, languages are going extinct. The only thing higher on that ladder is cuss words. Stercus caput! Vescere bracis meis!

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

And what'd the others give you? Besides a stomach ulcer.

:)

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

My middle name is Agita.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Love it.

12. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

How was he a detriment to the future of the team when the team had four winning seasons in the next five years after he left coaching?

Jake likes this.
  13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Yeah I also don't buy the angle that Parcells cost us Peyton by not committing tampering. If Archie and Peyton weren't sure about the Jets drafting him then they couldn't be sure ahead of time about what team would wind up drafting him next draft either. Of course if the Chargers wound up with the #1 pick the next year instead of the Colts, Archie could have pulled with the Chargers then what he did with Eli later :p

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Since nobody else is going to bring it up--Tupa had been a starting QB in the league before becoming a full-time punter. He was the QB for Ohio State then for the Cardinals. I remember him as their starter for at least a year or two, but it's been a long time.

If I recall correctly, he was on their roster for TECMO Super Bowl.

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He had a strange start to his career in Phionex . Was a backup QB year 1, back up QB and punted 5-6 times year 2, the next season he was a holder and didn't play QB or punt and then his 4th season was starting QB. I think he was a backup QB for the Colt's the following year before becoming a full time punter.

alleycat9 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Tupa was a very good punter but he was poor NFL quarterback. He woulda been the average mid round flop QB but extended his career by punting and punting well.

It's important to note that by the time he got here, he was a punter not a quarterback. He didn't take snaps or anything in practice. It's entirely possible they were just winging it in that game after Vinny got hurt. His touchdowns were pretty fluky and lucky. You can kill Parcells if you want for taking him out of that game, but it would be unreasonable to assume he could do anything at the QB position going forward

17. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan had more success then Parcells as a Jet head coach. And Rex didn’t cost us us Manning and Belichick.

He cost the NYJ fans a top 5 best QB of all time, and the best coach of all time. Who gives a shit about 15 minutes from the Super Bowl.

18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

you do realize belichick wouldnt have even been here if it werent for parcells. some of you guys just love to find shit to hate guys about. and most of it is all silly bullshit.

FJF likes this.
  19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Don't believe that story either regarding Parcells having to wing wink/nudge tell Archie yes he is taking Peyton

I don't think Peyton would've ever gone to NYC. If we were drafting first in 1998 he would've told us FU and muscled his way onto a small city franchise like the Colts or wherever there was little pressure and Peyton didn't have to deal with a strong personality coach or any media clashes. The Colts were perfect for him. I mean Peyton pretty much was above Tony Dung in coaching hierarchy.