What Are The Expectations of the 2018 Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 20, 2018.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

THIS! Darnold is the future. I doubt he starts right away but he needs to play. If the Jets fall out of the playoff race(most likely scenario) then use the rest of the 2018 season to get him some experience with the goal that he is ready to be the starter by 2019.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:D
    No doubt about it. With all the 2019 Cap space the Jets will have, keeping their 2019 1st Round Pick, etc, they are definitely planning on being ALL SYSTEMS GO for 2019 with Darnold. 2018 can still be a fun and productive season though. Hopefully the team takes some steps forward.

Footballgod214 and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Agreed, I know many here won't like it that we'll likely miss the playoffs for the 8th straight year, but maybe this time we will be set up for long term success. Macc needs to upgrade the OL and pass rushing by this time next year.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I expect 4 more players to be arrested for DUI.

The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Playoffs probably not likely, but if McCown plays like he did last year, the defense finally steps up, and the team stays healthy, the playoffs could be within reach.
    The AFC overall is not that strong.
    Not likely, but not out of the question either.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Most Jets thing possible. Bridgewater starts all 16 games, puts up decent numbers, and takes us to the playoffs. We lose in the first round when Santos misses an easy field goal. Hello 2019 QB controversy.

7. The Dark Knight

Haha, hope not!
    I think it is highly unlikely that McCown plays as well as he did last year or stays as healthy as he did. Darnold leading the team or Bridgewater leading the team to the playoffs could happen. Like you said: A main reason for that being possible is how weak the rest of the AFC is.
    A problem I would not mind having, but this is Darnold's team. Probably in 2018, but definitely in 2019.

FJF likes this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The OL will be rebuilt next offseason between FA and the draft. Beechum’s contract is up - he will be upgraded. Long may be slid over to replace Carpenter . There will be a new center and even Winters may be upgraded. The jury is still out on Shell but remember Mac traded up to get him so he has a longer leash .....I think he can be a suitable RT....

If it so happens the Jets have a high first round pick again look for an edge rusher ......just my gut feeling .

9. The Dark Knight

I agree about the O-line. Not sure who impending Free Agents are in 2019, but with a potential franchise QB on the roster, the next step is building a line that can protect him for years to come. The Jets will have the Cap space to do it too. I don't think the current O-line is as bad as some say, but it can definitely be improved.

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You’re right it’s not as bad as the reputation seems to be but not exactly championship quantity either . The interior was God awful last year - although the center position was improved. I think Long is slightly better at guard which is why I can envision him being Carpenters or Winters replacement eventually. It will be interesting to see what they do with the LT position....

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

12. The Dark Knight

I'd take that. With who at QB though?

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I was mostly kidding. I hope not too!

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The way the Jets win a few games more than expected this year is Darnold starting most of the games and not having rookie hiccups along the way. I think any other scenario looks like a 7-8 win season unless the Jets have a bad injury jag during the season.

Darnold could easily have a very good first half and then tail off the second half as the schedule becomes rough and the injuries mount and he hits the rookie wall. He's still the best chance the Jets have to make the playoffs next year. McCown needs more support than the Jets current roster provides and he's injury prone. Bridgewater needs more support than the Jets current roster provides and he's coming off as bad an injury as you can have.

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Such low expectations , I'm expecting more DUIs just from the Rookies...:oops:

16. The Dark Knight

Yep. That is why the expectations can't quite be sky-high this year. Darnold is their best chance at success, and he is still only 21 years old. McCown is unlikely to repeat his 2017 performance and we are not quite sure if Teddy's knee will hold up. Hopefully it does.

17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

AS Al Davis said, "just win baby." NO more excuses. As others have stated they have the players they want, the coaching staff so its time to play physical mistake-free (if that is possible) competitive ball. Anything short of that then time for a HC change.... not necessarily GM though.

18. The Dark Knight

That is the key word for 2018: Competitive. They were not close in 2016. They were better in 2017, despite the same record. Need to see that progress continue and be competitive in most, if not all, games.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

No chance for qb controversy in '19. If teddy plays well a team in need will throw big bucks at him next year. The jets will not pay to resign teddy. Remember he is only signed for '18. Best case scenario teddy plays well enough in pre season to make a needy team trade for him. Much like what vikings did when teddy went down. I would love a #2 pick or dare I say #1 pick for teddy. Remember he is a proven starter at the age of 26 and would only cost a team .5 mil to 5 mil depending on playing time....a lot to like for a team that either doesn't have a good starter or a team that qb went down with an injury. Sam is the future for the jets. Can't get hung up on what if we trade teddy & he plays real well. Remember Sam is 21 & teddy is 26. I will bet on Sam is at least as good if not better than teddy in 2 years. In 5 years Sam will be 26 & playing on his rookie contract......teddy will be 31 and probably will have been playing on a big contract for past 5 years.

#259 BudJet, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  20. The Dark Knight

I like the faith many fans have in Teddy, but logically you just don't know how his knee is going to hold up. He was a great risk/reward signing by the Jets, but they definitely are not depending on him.