2017-2018 NBA discussion thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They went 73-9, they are the best regular season team of all time. I wouldn't believe anyone that said Durant made them one of the best teams ever. They made 90% of the league's teams non-competitive IMO (Houston was the only team that could play them).

JetBlue likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They were an outstanding team but they were a little one-dimensional. You can't take that record away so they deserve praise but if we're all being honest here we know that half the teams in the league were tanking. When that wasn't the case in previous decades. I do not believe they were the greatest team of all time and it showed as they weren't even the greatest team in the league- losing in the finals.

in terms of them being one-dimensional, someone would've figured them out by now easily. If you know basketball you know this. You also have to consider that Steph Curry is built like some women I've dated. He would've broken down by now as well if he was counted on and keyed on without Durant.

in short. Curry, Thompson and Green made them a great team but Durant made them a dynasty. There have been plenty of great teams over the years but very few dynasties. This is all a "what if" game of course but when someone starts the discussion by saying Durant is not "the catalyst" the morning after he put up 43 points and basically clinched the championship for his team, I really have to wonder if that person knows the game of basketball.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Tanking is an issue, but you have to give them credit for the outstanding start, playing in a strong western conference. Green getting suspended in the finals and Curry not being 100%, I think that played a big role in losing that finals too.

You don't think they would've gotten 2 or 3 rings w/out Durant? If Durant never came, I mean they did lose some decent talent like Harrison Barnes, who became a 20 point scorer.

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I almost choked on my water when I heard the MVP chants from the Warrior fans. I have to give them props for that!

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I was holding out hope that it would end up 3-1 at some point and bet then, but jeesh, now it's not even be worth it.

6. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Yeah man, I'm cutting my losses. I lost 100 last night and I will lose 100 on the series barring a miracle. I didn't like LeBron's body language at the end of last night's game. He looks like he's done with Cavs. Kind of how he looked like before he went to South Beach.

7. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Let's go Believeland!

8. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Boring ass dynasty. Real Finals was the West Finals and who knows what would have happened had Paul not been hurt. Please LeBron join Rockets.

Also Curry still has yet to win Finals MVP out 4 tries. He played like dogshit in the first one and Iggy won MVP. He choked in the 2nd one, and Durant is about to win his 2nd Finals MVP.

stinkyB and NYJalltheway like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The trophy ceremony tonight definitely did not have the emotion of last night's. I guess that happens when you win back to back and 3 of 4, but still. Congrats to Kevin Durant on winning MVP, but it should have been JR Smith. He handed Golden State the series.

stinkyB and NYJalltheway like this.
  10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Pretty much settled now that James is a mental midget compared to Jordan. LeBron was born with the greatest ever pure basketball body but has been unable to develop the mental side of things to get to the same level

11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

What the heck kind of statement is that? The mental side???

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

All I want when it comes to next season is for there not to be a 5th straight Cavs vs Warriors finals. I know the Nets are at best an 8th seed, but maybe Houston, Philly, or Boston can step up and give us a different finals matchup.

Antoni and NYJalltheway like this.
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jordan had Pippen.

Who does Lebron have?

14. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

He had Wade for the 2 he won in Miami and he had Irving for the 1 he won in Cleveland. He has won when he has had a good sidekick. The one Finals where you can't really excuse him is that Dallas one. Heat had the better team and the lead but blew it.

15. NYJalltheway

Since when do teams with only 1 really good player win championships? Come on.

16. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I am not disagreeing I was just saying he has had good sidekicks to play with. I think Sidekick Scottie was better than Wade or Irving but still. You can excuse him for Cavs vs Spurs(his first one) and this latest one, but all the others were very winnable. The Miami Heat teams were favorites vs Dallas and SA.

It's all about that 3-6 Finals record people want to talk about. Sure you can give him some slack on some of them but not all of them. I think MJ would have gone 4-5 at least or maybe even 5-4.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  17. NYJalltheway

Apples to oranges really. I think the whole conversation has been beaten to death. His career isn't even over yet, so we'll see what happens until his last game.

Sam Hammer and Antoni like this.
  18. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Yes we will see. He could go to Houston and win 3-4(maybe in a row) more and finish with more rings, points, rebounds, and assists than Jordan. Then you'll have me convinced that he's the GOAT.:)

19. NYJalltheway

I'm in neither party. I see the sides for both players. If I had to lean one way, it would be Bron, but I was only a little kid when Jordan was winning.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Nah.

Someone - I'm not going to say who - thinks Lebron is a pussy.

That said, Lebron is not Jordan. They didn't play in the same era.

Literally, driving to the hoop could mean you could actually risk your life That's when Jordan was playing. Now? We don't have centers that can hold Ewing's jockstrap.

I'd always pick Jordan as the GOAT as I saw personally what that man could do against all-star level defense year in and year out. Can I say same thing for Lebron? No.

Antoni likes this.