OL Question....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BamaJet, Apr 30, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Once a team becomes good, that's true, but not necessarily when a team is bad and has a lot of holes and needs top shelf talent at key positions like QB, LT and edge rusher. Rarely are those found "later." What holds back many bad teams who draft in the top 5-10 for 3-4 successive years, and don't become good teams, is bad drafting and bad coaching. If the Jets pick in the top 5 of each round again this year, they should be able to find their future LT or stud pass rusher at a minimum, and maybe both with some luck or creative maneuvering.

What has held the Jets back hasn't been drafting high, it's been poor drafting (too many missed picks), trading up, abysmal coaching, and a lack of patience. They keep trying to "win" with JAG QBs, patchwork OLs, no playmakers, no pass rush, but an All-Star DL.

Do you really want to protect Darnold's blind side with an LT found "later"? Do you want to continue to see the Jets have no effective pass rush? I don't. I'd rather them go 6-10 this season or worse, get the players they need at LT and edge rusher as well as some other good players, and then be in a position to take a big step forward in 2020.

2. NCJetsfan

If you're a bad Jets fan, then I am too. The Jets should never have had to trade up this year. Assuming that no dumb picks like Hack were made with them, those 3 2nd round picks would have gone a LONG way towards fixing the holes and depth issues with the Jets.

If the Jets win 7-9 games this season, in all likelihood they aren't getting their future LT or a stud pass rusher in the 2019 draft without trading up and mortgaging the future. IMO the best thing that could happen to the Jets this season is:

1. to see their young players develop, but due to Bowles' conservative coaching and bad game planning to win 5 games or less this season;

2. be drafting in the top 5 in 2019, have a coveted QB drop to the Jets, and the Jets be able to trade back a few spots, add a 2nd round pick, still get an elite edge-rushing prospect with their 1st round pick and get a very good LT prospect with their 2nd round pick;

3. see Bowles be fired and either and an experienced offensive-minded HC who knows how to handle young QBs, or a bright, young, creative offensive-minded OC be hired as the Jets' new HC.

#42 NCJetsfan, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    KurtTheJetsFan, BamaDoc and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ditto..

Could not have said it better NC

Listen guys..especially the wide eyed dudes who want us to win every game next year ..if you look at some of my old posts I broke it down game by game ..the schedule is horrendous..its gonna be 3 to 5 wins whether ya like it or not

That said we qualify again for a top 10 or 5 pick and Bowles goes the Way of the Warrior (into the Sunset)...Sweet!!

4. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I for years have advocated a line before qb philosophy. Young quarterbacks hold the ball longer than good veterans. Go back and read Namath's autobiographies or any other qb and they talk about the game slowing down for them. A good line gives more time and usually more favorable down and distance situations. Put rookies in 2nd and 11 and it ain't pretty. Fitz actually covered for the line often by reading the coverage pre snap and getting it out fast. To me that is why Brady and Rogers survive with the lines they have because of their knowledge and reads before it is snapped (see also old Peyton). Andrew Luck is what happens to most talented players with a bad line. I hope we aren't headed there and if our line is not performing why I don't care at what point Darnold plays. All that said, I think getting a qb this year made sense and they protected him by having other qb options and hopefully don't throw him to the wolves. If the line plays well it will make it a lot easier to pick when you want him to play.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Somebody's setting themself up for a yuuge disappointment. Hah!

FJF likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

One doesn't get the opportunity to draft a potential FQB every day. One can find good OL in almost every draft. You get the QB when you can. Just because you draft the QB doesn't mean you have to throw him out there behind a subpar OL. The Texans did that with David Carr. Hopefully, the Jets will be smarter. Darnold only recently turned 21. If the OL struggles this year, they can sit him the entire season. Particularly since Darnold extends plays and has a somewhat delayed delivery, they definitely need to sit him until the OL is solid.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

One thing working for Darnold as far as working behind this line is his mobility. No he is not a runner like Lamar Jackson, but he is much more fluid in the pocket than Carr was or Rosen from this past draft. His ability to make plays off schedule once things start to break down is a big advantage and something that could lead to him being special if he can get the pre snap part of game down. Bates will most likely deploy a lot of roll outs for quick throws for him once he breaks into the line up to help with the transition. Darnold's delivery is not pretty, but its not delayed. His release combined with the velocity he throws with gets the ball there in time. Its really and over blown issue by people looking to find faults with him.

themorey and Walt White like this.