D day.

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by FJF, Jun 6, 2018.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

74th anniversary of D day is today. I’ve tried many times to imagine what it must have felt like waiting for the door to open knowing the odds of living to see the beach were low and I can’t. Thank you to the bravest of the brave for doing what had to be done that day. You will never be forgotten

RPOZ51, stinkyB, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yes we aren't Americans. But I made sure to teach my son about D Day. We watched clips together and I sat down with him and watched Saving Private Ryan which has the best D Day footage you can imagine. He now knows everything about D day. I am writing this due to your above sentence.

He used exact same sentence in his essay competition organized by Elks Lodge in Madison. His sentence was this. At 11 year old I fear opening our house door in the mornings not knowing what might be waiting for me outside. At moments like those, I appreciate the soldiers who were waiting for their doors to open on D Day.

He won the competition and gave a speech at Elks Lodge. When members learned he was just a Muslim kid, they appreciated more. He made his first money thru that contest. He is now a happy 12 year old. Brook out.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Here's a little factoid: Field Marshall Irwin Rommel was NOT a member of the Nazi Party. He was the German commander of the Normandy defense and perhaps the best military mind in the German Army (North Africa not withstanding). Had Hitler not refused to move reinforcements from Calais, D-Day may have turned out quite differently.. As you may have guessed, I'm a huge fan of Irwin Rommel. :)

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The Desert Fox.

matt robinson 17 and Cman68 like this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Wasn't there another thread on this a few years back? Always a good thing to bring up though. Visited Normandy and the Utah Beach landing sites a few years back. You really get a sense of the history there.

stinkyB, matt robinson 17 and Cman68 like this.
  7. matt robinson 17

Later Hitler thought he was part of the plot to kill him and made him shoot himself

Cman68 likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

Watched Saving Private Ryan for the 47th time last night and this exact screenshot was in it, don't it they made it or it's real

FJF likes this.
  9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Ha, funny, because I was a day late last year making a thread and was going to bump it before falling asleep last night. Because I fell asleep last year, too.

[​IMG]

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/d-day.88657/

^Yes, this is it. And that's where The Waterboy's, IMO, absolutely iconic family photo was posted for the first time. He posted it again in The Memorial Day thread.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Indeed. History says that Rommel was part of that assassination attempt trying to save Germany before its total destruction.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. matt robinson 17

[​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  12. jetophile

13. jetophile

[​IMG]

The soldier towards the front looks like Jim Nabors. How funny is that on a not funny at all subject.

14. matt robinson 17

Poor bastards on Omaha the planes missed every target because of fog and the naval bombardment missed also, they walked into a sausage grinder

15. matt robinson 17

16. jetophile

Too bad he didn't get to Von Stauffenberg good ole Adolph. Ya know what's weird with whole Eva Braun thing? Well, all of it's weird - the entire relationship - but she filmed all of these home movies - in color - of Hitler and some of his top cronies in his mountain retreat, Berghof, and oh, lookee, just another day with a mass murderer. The Alpine vista, the good doggies (including the one who Hitler poisoned/cyanided supposedly in the bunker to see if it worked), the casual everydayness of it, there's something absolutely chilling about it to me. C'mon, did she really have NO idea, I mean NONE what he was doing? I know he started shagging her when she was 17 and she was brain-washed and controlled, but I just don't buy that she was a completely naive innocent bystander. Looking at the landscape in those films with monsters doing common things and frolicking and so on while people were being gassed a town away blows my mind. The banality of it when juxtaposed to genocide is unnerving. Is that just me?

EDIT & P.S.:

Way creepy.

#16 jetophile, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  17. jetophile

18. jetophile

More Braun creepiness . . .

19. jetophile

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/...teran-and-advocate-for-return-of-remains.html

Oh, NOOOOOOOOO! Damn it. I absolutely adored Leon Cooper. I'm so sad. I mean it. I purposely looked him up to see if he was still with us, and as of my last posting about him, he was. What a potty-mouth. He cursed like, er, a sailor. I really am so very sad. He probably told the world to kiss his ass with his last breath. RIP, Mr. Cooper. This man deserves The Medal of Honor. He was relentless in his pursuit of getting bodies returned.

I can't say for sure how many times I posted about him and this documentary, but I feel it's very deserving. RIP again, Mr. Cooper. Leon Cooper: "I couldn't get anywhere near the fukking sand, I was hung up on the reef. I think I said stay in the fukking boat, they were trying to climb out of the boat as the Japs were fukking shooting at us. We were a hundred yards out, and they were gonna drown." Close enough. It's a very compelling watch and an amazing testimony. Trust me, the guy was NOT a racist. It was just talk of the time as he was re-living the horror of his experience.

#19 jetophile, Jun 7, 2018
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Some great men died that day..... Luckily my mom's uncle was one of the men who survived.... Her dad got a nice surprise when they met up in France (Paris, I believe) after hearing about the casualty rate

PBS has had some good shows about this event the past 2 weeks

#20 stinkyB, Jun 7, 2018
    jetophile likes this.