Jets apparently about to sign JJ Wilcox

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Jun 5, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They we're looking prior to Miles injury. I'm aware he is going to be out for a while.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

My initial post was wondering why the Jets were considering Wilcox, and why Wilcox was considering the Jets.
    I think that answer is pretty clear now.
    Not sure why (or if?) you are trying to suggest the team wasn't happy with the depth at the position.
    The post headline says it all.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/06/rontez-miles-injury-explains-jets-surprise-safety-interest/

3. TonyFtLaud

I'm suggesting it because they were looking at signing more depth prior to the Injury to Miles. It isn't like Miles was injured and the team suddenly went looking for a safety. The injury could explain why Wilcox was their choice ( special teams play) but they were still looking to bring in more competition prior.

4. BacktoQueens

Your citing Vaccaro as evidence?
    The guy is terrible and they didn't sign him. That's just due diligence, and not proof the team felt light on depth.
    Every team does due diligence and even picks up a few min salary camp bodies.

However, the Wilcox thing came to fruition quickly, and he even bailed on another offer.
    It's quite clear why now. If Miles was healthy, Wilson would not be a Jet.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

They can always do better. As a fan I was rooting for Middleton to come on last year because it would make the team better. But I like that they're looking at bringing in help anywhere on the team to make it better...that they're never satisfied. Particularly when there's relative unknowns like Middleton on the roster.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Walt White

I wasn't really expecting much out of him myself. Apparently Wilcox can move around the field some, and play a few positions.

7. TonyFtLaud

Yes I'm citing Vecarro as evidence.
    No they didn't sign him , but they brought him in because they were looking for depth at the position. Don't forget,Bowles likes to use 3 safety sets.
    Why do due diligence on a guy "that's terrible" if your happy with your guys?
    They we're, maybe still will be looking for depth. It was due diligence done on a position they we're looking to improve on. Solid starters at the position but not much quality behind them. Of course teams sign plenty of camp bodies. But not just for the hell of it. It's to improve a weakness. Just like all the WRs being signed in hopes of improving KR and special teams.

8. BacktoQueens

Middleton has his work cut out to make the roster as well.
    I think he'll be primarily competing with Brooks.

To your point, injuries happen all the time tho, so you have to be prepared with roster options.
    For many guys unfortunately, an injury is their only real way of making team.

9. Walt White

Yeah, the injuries are part of it. But that's depth. It looks to me that they're slowly but surely attempting to make it better, and the competition better, across the roster. Fans have their favorites but I believe they think they can do better after Maye and Adams. The competition will decide it tho. The depth as constituted hurt them last year in the end along all the units.
    I think Mac is building towards having a better pool each year at the back end of the roster as he tries to fill out the front of it. He's doing it with WR, DL, LB's, OL, even RB. That roster in '16 and '17 had a long way to go.
    The thing about Wilcox to me is that he's in his prime now @27 and has experience. Getting guys like that helps the back end of the roster.

10. BacktoQueens

Injuries are a huge part of it unfortunately.
    You have to plan on losing some guys along the way. So I'm all for depth, and i agree Mac has been building a better pool of players on the back end of roster.

Some signing are just about upgrading the 90 man roster though, and those players don't have the best odds of making team.
    Signing that type of depth player doesn't mean the team doesn't like the incumbents.
    For instance, the team just signed Chris Jones, but that doesn't mean they don't like Henry Anderson or Steve McLendon.
    They just feel Jones is better than Pelon, so they released Pelon. If someone gets injured, or Jones has an amazing camp, they have another quality option.

Brooks and MIles are quality backups imo.
    They both just got re-signed this offseason, so obviously the team likes them. Brooks got 1M of his contract guaranteed, and Miles 1.9M salary, which is about right for S backups.
    I don't see doing due diligence on a scrub like Vaccaro as attempt to upgrade either of them.
    Bringing on Wilcox was only a direct reaction to losing Miles, and losing Miles was likely the reason Wilcox bailed on SF.
    His odds of making the Jets 53 are pretty decent. Might not be a bad idea to sign another guy to compete with Wilcox and Middleton for the last spot.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He didnt spurn the Niners to get cut. His agent got some backchannel promises. He is a roster lock

BacktoQueens likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm sure we could have done better. But no one can compete with Belly, not on a consistent basis...no one.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The bold ... I mean a lot of people say this, but I don't see any suggestions. Bowles is 20-28 with Fitzpatrick, McCown and Petty as his QBs.

FJF likes this.
  14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Your post just confirms that vs Belly U R at Bowles level :mad:

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And another personal attack.

16. BacktoQueens

He'll take Miles roster spot while he's out (and Miles could be out all year)..